Is Buddhism atheistic / rational?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2013 01:49 PM by Logisch.)
RE: Is Buddhism atheistic / rational?
(29-10-2013 11:26 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  What's rational about sitting on the floor, legs crossed, humming for hours on end?
Seems like a total waste of fucking time to me.

If you wanna seek "enlightenment" in your life you sure as fuck aint gonna find it by meditating.

Actually some stuff like mindful meditation can help concentration. Things like sensory deprivation kind of carried on from some of that stuff and have shown to be pretty good for cognitive function.

Unfortunately a lot of people shove tons of woo into it, but agreed with the above post... buddhism and taoism started out with an approach to handling things in a rational way and got a lot of woo heaped on the top (especially taoism). I've read on some of it and done mindful meditation myself, I have some terribly bad ADHD and it's literally just letting yourself think, keeping mindful of what you're doing, not letting yourself daydream, allowing yourself to be aware of what you're thinking at all time and not get distracted. Doesn't feel spiritual, bullshitty, silly or dramatic at all. I just turn off the lights, close my door, sit down and enjoy thinking.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
29-10-2013, 05:27 PM
RE: Is Buddhism atheistic / rational?
Buddhism can be perfectly described as atheistic for the Buddha cared not for the origin of things (or a creator deity), because he correctly realized that the only thing life was for was ending suffering. Once you had your Nirvana, you had everything one would need. That's why I incorporate a lot of of Buddhism into my own spirituality and metaphysics (parinirvana = presence of God). I care not for the Samsara rebirth as literal truth, though, but I agree with the concept of perpetual suffering until liberation.

So, in short, Buddhism as a religion is atheistic as a religion and as a philosophy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply