Is Buddhism really that cool?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Question Is Buddhism really that cool?
So that's something I have been wondering for a while now, and during my little research I've done so far, it seemed that Buddhism is rarely being criticized or even sort of "accepted". I've studied a bit about Buddhism in the past, and I dare not to claim I know all about it. Some of the stuff I read sounded kinda nice and all, one might wanna say Buddhism is rather a philosophy. The whole re-incarnation and the suffering cycles resulting from it have kinda made me scratch my head, but hey, nothing's perfect, eh? Buddha himself was a human and humans... well, make mistakes.

So much about the theory, now lets get to practice. I've been living in a country now where Buddhism is pretty much a state religion and I was quite surprised to find a few parallels that made me go: "I know that from somewhere?!" Ok, lemme throw in some keywords that come to mind here:

1. Temples... eh, buddhist version of churches?
2. Figures, in temples or wherever, they are considered sacred and one must show respect to some statue (sounds familiar, right?)
3. Prayers... yes, they do pray, hands folded whispering some sanskrit scriptures (we all know that one as well, don't we?)
4. Monks (almost all of them male) hey, at least the others got a bit more nuns at least and of course, they all are abstinent, avoid contact to women; don't ever dare to run into a monk if you're a female!
5. Money... yes, that's something none of big deities can handle, they all need it, and more and more of it
6. Belief in ghosts (yeah, yeah, it starts to get boring, I'm almost done)
7. Authority obedience infecting pretty much many walks of life
8. I'm sure there are more things but I can't think of more spontaneously right now Wink

Apart from some wise phrases that Buddhism might have here and there... it seems to be just like all the others and not always so peaceful as one might want to think, just take a look at Burma, or even Tibet... Things are not always what they appear to be. That being said, it would be interesting to know if there are any Atheists that converted from Buddhism they were raised by.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Is Buddhism really that cool? - pxlgirl - 07-01-2013 12:19 PM
RE: Is Buddhism really that cool? - bemore - 07-01-2013, 11:16 PM
RE: Is Buddhism really that cool? - DLJ - 08-01-2013, 01:05 AM
RE: Is Buddhism really that cool? - Vera - 08-01-2013, 10:14 AM
RE: Is Buddhism really that cool? - DLJ - 09-01-2013, 03:10 AM