Is Buddhism really that cool?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2013, 08:01 PM
RE: Is Buddhism really that cool?
Ok so I've learned (and am learning) from experience more or less as we speak that reading about buddhism and maybe agree to some point with a few wise words here and there is a completely different can of worms if you actually live in a place where it's being practiced. And now lemme tell you a story that actually took place just a day ago after I've started this thread. It seemed just like any other day, except that sometime in the afternoon there was supposed to be some new years party. Then, out of the blue, my co-workers tell me to leave office and follow them. While my brain was still processing the stuff I have been working on, it realized quite late that my body now was in a room full of chanting monks, hoping it won't last long because either my ass or knees would hurt from a quite familiar sitting position I remembered from my childhood... But my ass did hurt, yes it lasted longer than I was willing to, or I'm just getting old, but anyways... after the show was over, my co-workers had prepared some nice sheets for the dudes with the orange robes to sit on and enjoy some free food (oh, and free cash too, but shhhh....). All of that had to happen before our official lunchtime, for whatever reason and we were only allowed to eat our lunch, once the bunch was kindly done with eating.

Up to that point I still had no clue what the whole fuzz was about so I asked one of the staff who thankfully spoke english well enough so I could actually ask some deeper questions. So... the show was about giving the workplace and its stuff some blessings for the new year (eh?! Did the Buddhists steal this one from the Christians or the other way round?) and remind everyone to do/be good so next life gets better. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The post above pretty much says it all how fucked up this concept can be. Apart from that, I'm going to list a few other things that came from that discussion:[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]1. Lord (!) Buddha realized that everything is mortal (wow...) and he has set the famous 5 truths people shall live by. They are like commandments, but rather stripped to the basics, I have to give them that. BTW, that was the answer to my question if buddhism accepts science... [/font]

2. As a for the Dalai Lama, who stands for tibetan buddhism, which according to the staff lady (and possibly many others) is only reading and cherry-picking in terms of a philosophy, while her country is the only one who'd actually practice it (I head the true Buddhism between the lines) Uh-huh...

3. A bit bitching and moaning about the young people who don't care so much about the real teachings anymore and do it only to please their parents... (they just need Jeeeezussss, no, I mean Buddddddhaaaaah)

I then rather skipped the question if they have ever considered scientific prove for all the other creatures and ghosts they believe alongside Buddha and his bunch. And now, what's the moral of the story? (Every) religion is bullshit, go figure! Wink

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Is Buddhism really that cool? - pxlgirl - 07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
RE: Is Buddhism really that cool? - bemore - 07-01-2013, 11:16 PM
RE: Is Buddhism really that cool? - DLJ - 08-01-2013, 01:05 AM
RE: Is Buddhism really that cool? - Vera - 08-01-2013, 10:14 AM
RE: Is Buddhism really that cool? - DLJ - 09-01-2013, 03:10 AM
RE: Is Buddhism really that cool? - pxlgirl - 09-01-2013 08:01 PM