Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 10:03 AM
RE: Is Canada a Christian nation?
No.

From the Charter of Rights:
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
© freedom of peaceful assembly; and
(d) freedom of association.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 10:09 AM
(06-08-2013 09:41 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Oh and also "non-religious" self-identity has grown from 12 to 16 to 24 percent from 1991 to 2001 to 2011. So there's that.

Very true. My mother was Canadian and I have two brothers that live there and became citizens. Religion doesn't figure much in their lives nor in the lives of any of their friends and acquaintances. Correct me if I'm wrong but most of the Canadian politicians don't wrap themselves in religion the way American politicians do. Down here if you don't state your belief in god you can't get elected.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
06-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Christianity was never explicitly made part of law. The references to Christianity are vague, such as "under God". There were (or are?) laws against blasphemy and witchcraft, but those were never defined and were up to the interpretation of judges. Our head of state is the leader of the Anglicans, but there is no law about Canada being Anglican. It is not a Christian nation in any legal sense as far as I know.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
06-08-2013, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 01:20 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-08-2013 09:27 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Legal authority is derived from the Crown, which is personified by but not necessarily equivalent to the person of the reigning Sovereign (so, y'know, Queen Elizabeth II at the moment), who rules "by grace of God". It says that on every coin we've ever minted (D. G. Regina).

The appeals to (a) higher power on state documents are basically just a way to say they're universal and eternal. The origin is a very whiggish 19th century attitude of order and propriety; it's far more a deist attitude than anything else. There is not, and cannot be, an establishment church; I don't think any of the realms besides the UK still use Defender of the Faith as an epithet (and we never did).

EDIT: SHIT I misremembered a few things. The crown still carries "Defender of the Faith" here. I should have known we'd've been too stodgy to change that yet in 1953 (ditto the Aussies and Kiwis). Except here as in the UK it has always meant more than one faith. So the modern interpretation is super wishy-washy and amounts to nothing more than a vague statement of religious freedom, paradoxically enough.

I try to listen to "As It Happens" (CBC). I especially like it when they play the old old shows. They are SO interesting. It's great to hear what other people are worrying about, (and your legislators fight a LOT better than our "ijuts").
Anyway always thought it was hilarious that the British monarch carries the title "Defender of the Faith", as it was originally given to Henry VIII by the Pope (!) before he went all "chop off their head", and "stick your Papal Bull where the sun doesn't shine" on them. I saw the "Bull" in the Vatican Library, but it turns out Henry was never actually excommunicated. Both Clement VII and Paul III drew up the documents, but never had them sent, which is why it's still in the Vatican, (I assume ???) The "bull" is a big book sized thingy, with all kinds of seals on it. If you make an appointment, they will take it out, and show it to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidei_defensor

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdJMU96m87d1k-JhH4Ol7...bZrJpiFsiw]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
06-08-2013, 02:24 PM
(06-08-2013 01:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 09:27 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Legal authority is derived from the Crown, which is personified by but not necessarily equivalent to the person of the reigning Sovereign (so, y'know, Queen Elizabeth II at the moment), who rules "by grace of God". It says that on every coin we've ever minted (D. G. Regina).

The appeals to (a) higher power on state documents are basically just a way to say they're universal and eternal. The origin is a very whiggish 19th century attitude of order and propriety; it's far more a deist attitude than anything else. There is not, and cannot be, an establishment church; I don't think any of the realms besides the UK still use Defender of the Faith as an epithet (and we never did).

EDIT: SHIT I misremembered a few things. The crown still carries "Defender of the Faith" here. I should have known we'd've been too stodgy to change that yet in 1953 (ditto the Aussies and Kiwis). Except here as in the UK it has always meant more than one faith. So the modern interpretation is super wishy-washy and amounts to nothing more than a vague statement of religious freedom, paradoxically enough.

I try to listen to "As It Happens" (CBC). I especially like it when they play the old old shows. They are SO interesting. It's great to hear what other people are worrying about, (and your legislators fight a LOT better than our "ijuts").
Anyway always thought it was hilarious that the British monarch carries the title "Defender of the Faith", as it was originally given to Henry VIII by the Pope (!) before he went all "chop off their head", and "stick your Papal Bull where the sun doesn't shine" on them. I saw the "Bull" in the Vatican Library, but it turns out Henry was never actually excommunicated. Both Clement VII and Paul III drew up the documents, but never had them sent, which is why it's still in the Vatican, (I assume ???) The "bull" is a big book sized thingy, with all kinds of seals on it. If you make an appointment, they will take it out, and show it to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidei_defensor

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdJMU96m87d1k-JhH4Ol7...bZrJpiFsiw]

Are those the seals on the outside of the Vatican document or are they Reeses Peanut Butter Cups? Yummmm.....Reeses Peanut Butter Cups.....Drooling

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”