Is Canada going down the religious crapper?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
12-05-2010, 11:52 AM

Is Canada going down the religious crapper?
Read these first:

Don Martin: Author warns of growing influence of religious right in Canadian politics
http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs...itics.aspx

‘City hall has left God,’ Rossi declares
Mayoral candidates open to faith groups taking a bigger role in city affairs

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontom...=1#article

I always took for granted that Canada was more secular than the U.S. I guess this country is no more immune to religious fanaticism than any other.

I guess I could always move to Sweden. Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2010, 12:01 PM

RE: Is Canada going down the religious crapper?
Why would Sweden be a better choice?

Technically speaking, America is one of the most secular countries on the planet. In practice though, the greater portion of its population tend to be rather strong advocates of right winged religious fascism; on the bright note, this is changing...thankfully.
13-05-2010, 02:14 AM

Republicans are destroying themselves as they play the game "Who can be the most conservative?"

Even past republican presidents wouldn't fit the role of the modern Republican.
13-05-2010, 09:01 AM
(12-05-2010 12:01 PM)Ceryle Wrote:  Why would Sweden be a better choice?

Technically speaking, America is one of the most secular countries on the planet. In practice though, the greater portion of its population tend to be rather strong advocates of right winged religious fascism; on the bright note, this is changing...thankfully.

And it isn't really as big a problem as many make it out to be in the first place. The thing is, yes, there are a lot of people who want religions to have more influence in the government, but the government is bound to the Constitution: no matter how much they want to pass a religious law, it probably won't pass - and if it does, the Supreme Court will rule it unconstitutional.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Why am I not suprised that this thread got derailed from talking about the influence religion has on Canada, to its influence on the U.S.?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
13-05-2010, 11:40 AM
(13-05-2010 11:22 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Why am I not suprised that this thread got derailed from talking about the influence religion has on Canada, to its influence on the U.S.?

Because you know that several members of the forum are American, and that we have egos the size of Texas, therefore requiring us to ignore all foreign affairs in favor of discussing domestic happenings.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
13-05-2010, 12:16 PM
(13-05-2010 11:40 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(13-05-2010 11:22 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Why am I not suprised that this thread got derailed from talking about the influence religion has on Canada, to its influence on the U.S.?

Because you know that several members of the forum are American, and that we have egos the size of Texas, therefore requiring us to ignore all foreign affairs in favor of discussing domestic happenings.

LMAO, well played sir!

And there you go again with that ego...how come you didn't compare it to the size of Ontario???

13-05-2010, 12:31 PM
What's Ontario*?

*: We only know about America, remember?

13-05-2010, 12:54 PM

Lmao ^_^

Ahaha, ya, that gave me a good laugh.

Okay, back to the topic at hand I suppose.

Again, no, I don't see Canada going down the religious crapper, as you put it. If anything, due to increasing secularization, what we are seeing is just religion becoming ever more obvious. Combine 'moderate' religious supporters with secularization, and the only people you have left are those that cling to the cores of religion. It's like a black dot on a piece of paper, your attention is instantly drawn towards it. So, although religion is degrading in its overall importance, it will become more obvious in doing so.
13-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Ceryle makes a very good point. I agree that we notice religion where it doesn't belong because we are becoming a more secularized population, and therefore we are just more sensitive to it. Although I don't believe religion will ever truly die, I do see things like this as religions death throes, as such a predominant part of society.
A good example of how skewed statistics can be: My brother and I have both been atheists since our late teens. My mother however, has just recently (around three years ago) freed herself from religion. We often discuss her newfound freedom, and recently talked about how "ingrained" religion was for her. She answered a questionaire (something to do with grocery shopping, strangely enough) and one of the questions asked what her religion was. It was one of over a hundred, and seeing as she was tired of filling it out, she was in a hurry. Without thinking, she answered "lutheran" and moved on. Not until she had completed the questionaire did she realize that she had answered the question wrong. That is the type of information gathering that gives us the statistics on how many people are this religion or that, atheist, agnostic, etc. I would not be suprised in the least if that type of slip up was very common, and religious organizations grab onto those types of stats, and hold on for dear life.

Are we headed down the crapper? I don't think so. For fear of sounding like a foolish optimist, I suspect the exact opposite. I believe we are moving towards a religion free society more every day. A country where the religous are permitted to practice their beliefs without fear of oppression, but as a very small minority that has little or no say in how this country is run.

Now back to the fun part of the thread....you damn yankees!!!!

(gotta love a neighbor with a sense of humor. Especially when they have a shotgun, and you have a slingshot!)