Is Canada more free than the USA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2011, 07:40 PM

Rainbow Is Canada more free than the USA?
As a lot of people know, the U.S has a lot of debt with China. A buddy of mine today commented, when he found a new law had been implemented in his State that really chaps his whiskers, that more and more and especially with the religious right seeking and often obtaining a modicum of control in secular society where before they were denied, it seems like America is going the way of China and those other countries that our military campaigns in the past sought to liberate from oppression in the name of Democracy.

Interesting point of view, which got me to wondering after I'd read a comment in a thread here where someone said they were glad to live in Canada.

So, is Canada more free than the USA? If so, how? Is the economy in Canada better than the America?
Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2011, 07:52 PM
RE: Is Canada more free than the USA?
I'll have first hand experience soon enough when I go in August to Montreal and start deciding if I'm moving there. Most places I've been to outside the US are much less restrictive, and you're able to walk along the street without so much aggression. You really notice it when you're somewhere else. In Canada I'd actually see a doctor, since I'm poor. We have plenty of Canadians on here to discuss this though =p

If I decide that I want to live with my long term long distance partner Canada won't care that I'm legally male because they allow same sex marriage.

I'm wondering at what point Canada starts taking refugees from the US since people are being more and more repressed in the US. I tried sending a petition that my intersex issues are not being handled in my country and I need help, but since I'm from the US they won't bring me in due to being inadequately served by my current country. It's a UN declaration about refugees and open borders that distinguishes certain countries as places where refugees go to not come from.

So far from my travels (I'm poor but I find ways to afford traveling, also during the time I'm travelling I have money for doctors not every test I might need though) the place I would most likely call home is Japan, but it will be pretty expensive to move there.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2011, 08:14 PM
well being a Canadian I guess I should throw my 2 cents in. I've been to the US only a handful of times but so far my experiences haven't been good, I find the people there a bit rude. We do have free healthcare so thats a bonus, but we have very severe weapon laws. Sounds good right? well what about when someone breaks into your home, and the police arrest you the next day for pointing a gun at the guy who tried to rob you?
We were the first country to allow medicinal marijuana. and I've been told a few times marijuana was decriminalized a couple years back(still don't believe it).
plus same sex marriage, abortion, did I already mention health care?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
29-03-2011, 09:44 PM
If health care is free, who pays the doctors?

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
29-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Depends on how you define freedom.
As a free man I should be able to defend myself as I see fit. Self defense is a basic right of all animals. I choose a normal capacity semi-auto handgun.
As a free man I should be able to choose what I put into my body.
As a free man I should be able to make choices about my life that are both good and bad and live with the consequences of both.
As a free man I should not have the product of my labor stolen from me.

If Canada is closer to this video than the U.S. then yes, Canada is more free.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
30-03-2011, 03:56 AM
America: Land of the free, home of the oppressed
Canada: You can make fun of us all you want, we have pot.

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
[+] 1 user Likes latvianxave8's post
30-03-2011, 07:27 AM
(29-03-2011 09:44 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  If health care is free, who pays the doctors?

I wondered about the "free" comment too. It's not free. It's paid for out of tax dollars. If I was a Canadian, I think I'd have a problem with people who did not pay into the system coming over and taking advantage of it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
30-03-2011, 08:51 AM
(30-03-2011 07:27 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(29-03-2011 09:44 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  If health care is free, who pays the doctors?

I wondered about the "free" comment too. It's not free. It's paid for out of tax dollars. If I was a Canadian, I think I'd have a problem with people who did not pay into the system coming over and taking advantage of it.

I'm Canadian and I gladly pay taxes so that I can see a doctor whenever I need to. I can go for yearly checkups because I don't have to pay each time I walk into the doctor's office. If I ever have a child, I don't have to pay for pre- and post-natal checkups, nor do I have to pay to have the baby delivered.

We all pay taxes regardless, so we might as well get something beneficial out of it. I personally have no problem with people who cannot afford to see a doctor being able to help their sick children. I also have no problem with visitors being able to go to a hospital in an emergency and not having to pay for it. (I'm not sure how it works though if you're not a Canadian citizen and you want to go to the doctor for a non-emergency, 'cause you have to present your health care card to the doctor's office whenever you're a new patient.)

And not everything is free. Many drugs are not covered by the government and require private insurance to cover. Many drugs aren't covered at all. Also, cosmetic procedures, such as laser eye surgery, are not covered by health care.

To answer the original question though, I'm not sure if Canada is any more or less "free" than the U.S. On some points, yes. On others, no. For example, I would love it if we had less restricted gun laws. On the other hand, in some provinces you can smoke weed in front of a cop and you won't get harassed (though you might if you live in Ontario). However, a big bonus is that, for the most part, Canada is much more secular than the U.S. Tongue

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
30-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't say we are more free. I'd say we're more "relaxed". A great many of our laws are the same as in the US, but for the most part, I think there's more reason applied to the enforcement of those laws. Hate to come back to the weed part of things, but it applies here. Weed is not a legal drug for recreational use. Possetion is no longer criminal, and equates to confiscation and a fine. But even there, I know lots of people who have had encounters with police where there was weed present, and the police were aware of it. In ALL of them, only one has ever had the weed confiscated, and he did not get a fine. Normally, at least here in Manitoba, the police will see weed in your house, should they happen to be there, and politely remind you that driving under the influence applies to both alcohol AND drugs. (Then they'll point at your coffee table, and say, "that includes the fatty in the ashtray there.")

My appreciation of being a Canadian stems from feelling like my country, and fellow countrymen accept me for the most part. Their morals and beliefs are not commonly rammed down my throat. It feels like here, you are left to live the way you want to, and only when it starts affecting others, do others get involved in your affairs. Of course there are exceptions. I am just saying that is my general feeling about being a Canadian.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
28-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Depending on who the patient is, it could be someone else. The taxpayer pays the doctors, but not at the moment they need the healthcare. In other words if you are injured, they do not demand you pay them before they put you in the ambulance. Your injuries are taken care of and the the bill is sent to the government or your benefits company. You are treated for your injuries without having to sell your home and sacrifice your kids college fund to pay for it. You may pay a few hundred dollars more a month in taxes when you are not ill but you dont pay 100,000 dollars when you do get injurred to add insult to the injury.