Is Canada more free than the USA?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2012, 09:01 AM
RE: Is Canada more free than the USA?
(30-03-2011 07:27 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(29-03-2011 09:44 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  If health care is free, who pays the doctors?

I wondered about the "free" comment too. It's not free. It's paid for out of tax dollars. If I was a Canadian, I think I'd have a problem with people who did not pay into the system coming over and taking advantage of it.

But then what happens when YOU are the one who falls ill and cannot work or pay for your healthcare. Am I my brothers keeper? Who is my brother? Well the truth is YOU are your brother and what goes around just might come back around and you would want someone to help you if through no fault of your own you lost everythiing and needed help. BTW, that is what Jesus and truth and righteousness and the golden rule are all about ... do atheists understand the concept?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2012, 05:52 PM
(30-03-2011 03:56 AM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  America: Land of the free, home of the oppressed
Canada: You can make fun of us all you want, we have pot.
I live in California, we have pot too!

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
28-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Somebody must have given this thread a bump, it's completely dead.
28-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Yep looks like I killed it over a year ago!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
28-06-2012, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2012 07:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-06-2012 06:39 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yep looks like I killed it over a year ago!

Let's roll it up again and see how it tastes.

(30-03-2011 11:04 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I wouldn't say we are more free. I'd say we're more "relaxed". A great many of our laws are the same as in the US, but for the most part, I think there's more reason applied to the enforcement of those laws. Hate to come back to the weed part of things, but it applies here. Weed is not a legal drug for recreational use. Possetion is no longer criminal, and equates to confiscation and a fine. But even there, I know lots of people who have had encounters with police where there was weed present, and the police were aware of it. In ALL of them, only one has ever had the weed confiscated, and he did not get a fine. Normally, at least here in Manitoba, the police will see weed in your house, should they happen to be there, and politely remind you that driving under the influence applies to both alcohol AND drugs. (Then they'll point at your coffee table, and say, "that includes the fatty in the ashtray there.")

My appreciation of being a Canadian stems from feelling like my country, and fellow countrymen accept me for the most part. Their morals and beliefs are not commonly rammed down my throat. It feels like here, you are left to live the way you want to, and only when it starts affecting others, do others get involved in your affairs. Of course there are exceptions. I am just saying that is my general feeling about being a Canadian.

"I'd say we're more 'relaxed'."

I think that is a key difference. Canadians remind me of a 30 yo uncle whispering to his 15 yo nephew don't be so fucking agitated nephew, it'll pass. Don't be so excitable.

(29-03-2011 11:22 PM)aesirus Wrote:  Depends on how you define freedom.
As a free man I should be able to defend myself as I see fit.
Not as you see fit. As we collectively agree what is fit. Shotgun with varying loads from rocksalt to birdshot to buckshot to slugs feels sufficient to me for personal defense. If that ain't enough fuckers have singled me out for some reason and have come prepared and my AR-15 ain't gonna save me. If you need a different gun for other reasons, what's the problem with letting us know what they are? I mean I'm sure they're legitimate but I'd like to hear them anyway.

(29-03-2011 11:22 PM)aesirus Wrote:  As a free man I should be able to choose what I put into my body.

To a point. I don't think you should be allowed to ingest a device which would cause an explosion when triggered by a cellphone call, for example.

(29-03-2011 11:22 PM)aesirus Wrote:  As a free man I should be able to make choices about my life that are both good and bad and live with the consequences of both.

You don't have a choice about that.

(29-03-2011 11:22 PM)aesirus Wrote:  As a free man I should not have the product of my labor stolen from me.

If you think taxes are stealing then maintain your own roads.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
28-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Aw shit. Can't see the video. Now I have no idea how good you jabbed me! (I figure I got some good ribbin coming my way after the old fart comment. Heehee)

28-06-2012, 07:29 PM
(28-06-2012 07:20 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Aw shit. Can't see the video. Now I have no idea how good you jabbed me! (I figure I got some good ribbin coming my way after the old fart comment. Heehee)

The fuck? You can't see that in Canada? I'm rethinking my position. How 'bout this one?

28-06-2012, 07:33 PM
.....ass.

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
28-06-2012, 07:47 PM
(28-06-2012 07:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  .....ass.

yeah .... Blush

But seriously, was the youtube link blocked to you while the dailymotion one wasn't?

28-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Neither loaded. Hence...........ass.