Is Cannibalism a Sin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Is Cannibalism a Sin?
The collection of references to cannibalism in the bible as collected by the Skeptics' Annotated Bible.

The bible never states that cannibalism is sinful. It could be inferred that humans aren't part of the kosher dietary laws, but Christians don't adhere to those anyway.

What do you guys think? Is it wrong to eat human flesh, assuming it is served to you from someone who died of natural causes and who specifically put in his or her will "I want my body to be eaten" (that is: no murder, health risks, or desecration involved)? Do you think the bible implies sinfulness in cannibalism somewhere? And do you think that the Catholic tradition of communion is cannibalism?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2012, 07:32 PM
RE: Is Cannibalism a Sin?
I don't know what it says about it in the bible and I don't particularly care, but I think it's yucky and wouldn't do it unless necessary.
Though when I used to fight all the time pretty much any time I got stuck up close to a guy without being able to move my arms I would use the old headbutt, but for like a split second my mind would consider biting a hunk of their face off.

Strangely I am not a fan of ham because the texture has grossed me out ever since I heard that it has nearly the same consistency as human flesh.

I don't necessarily think its wrong but it can't be good for our species. I know I wouldn't feel very secure in my happiness if my roommate was a confessed cannibal.

However if the person had to do it as a matter of life and death it wouldn't really bother me that much. I'd probably ask what we taste like.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
05-06-2012, 07:44 PM
IDK since we're born in sin and everything we do is a sin then yes.

To me, it's only a sin if you get caught. Thumbsup

When I die, I wish to die free from false gods and false religions.

As long as most people of planet Earth believe in supernatural beings with magical powers we will continue to live in the dark ages.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bratac's post
05-06-2012, 08:26 PM
For it to be a sin, sin would first have to exist.

I think that you can easily say that if it is done without the consent of the person being cannibalized it is
objectively wrong by any logically constructed moral standard.
[+] 2 users Like Superluminal's post
05-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Like Lucradis, I don't know or care what the bible says about it. Personally, I really wouldn't have a problem with cannibalism, so long as it wasn't synonymous with murder.

I'm actually quite curious about what it would taste like. Although nutritionally, human meat wouldn't be all that good compared to eating a herbivore. I wanna eat a vegetarian.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
05-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Not a good idea. It isnt a delicacy we want to encourage....

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 1 user Likes Debzilla's post
05-06-2012, 08:52 PM
BLAH....the only way I can even imagine biting someone hard enough to break the skin would be in self defense.

I don't know, or care, if it's considered by some to be a sin...yuck, just yuck.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
05-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Seems pretty obvious that the Romans assert that the wafer actually is the "body, blood, soul, and divinity", (transubstatiation)... which I didn't know, had a long development history .. must learn. The definition of cannibalism is ingestion of human flesh. So besides cannialism, there is also the need for the constant repetition, (the non-atoning" Jeebus). There was an interesting linguistic argument in the Pell-Dawkins debate last Fall, where they argued over this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD1QHO_AVZA , around 43-46. They try to dance around it, but ain't speaking no English.

So yeah, it's cannibalism, and it's human sacrifice.

"Sin" (in the Roman tradition), is dependent on a few factors, which I won't bore ya with. Not sure what the others say. It would be relative, to the situation.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Note to self: do not fall asleep at one of Starks parties. Also continue not being a vegan.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Its not a sin.

Eating anything that isn't a fish or not killing your unruly children is.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?