Is Cannibalism a Sin?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2012, 09:55 PM
RE: Is Cannibalism a Sin?
Culturally I find it distateful, but how can it be a sin? We carry a specific gene that guards us against a disease that can only be caught from eating human flesh. The only reason we would have that is if our ancestors had each other around for dinner a few times. Whether God put it there, its was 'designed' into us or it evolved with us - the fact is that we would only have it if we were supposed to be doing it

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PeterKA's post
05-06-2012, 10:00 PM
(05-06-2012 07:21 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  The collection of references to cannibalism in the bible as collected by the Skeptics' Annotated Bible.

The bible never states that cannibalism is sinful. It could be inferred that humans aren't part of the kosher dietary laws, but Christians don't adhere to those anyway.

What do you guys think? Is it wrong to eat human flesh, assuming it is served to you from someone who died of natural causes and who specifically put in his or her will "I want my body to be eaten" (that is: no murder, health risks, or desecration involved)? Do you think the bible implies sinfulness in cannibalism somewhere? And do you think that the Catholic tradition of communion is cannibalism?
I can honestly say that I could care less about whether or not the Bible asserts (or fails to assert) that Cannibalism is a sin.

And man does it feel good to free my thoughts from those chains of bondage.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
05-06-2012, 11:29 PM
(05-06-2012 08:32 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm actually quite curious about what it would taste like. Although nutritionally, human meat wouldn't be all that good compared to eating a herbivore. I wanna eat a vegetarian.

It tastes like pork!

Quite frankly, I'm shocked!

What happened to the usual openness and honesty that I have grown to expect from forum members?

Are you all pretending to have given up eating human flesh? Or is it that baby-flesh doesn't count?

05-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Hobo If we willed our bodies to the local butcher, instead of the undertaker, human flesh could become a delicacy and think of the money saved on funerals. On the down side greedy funeral parlours could sell bits here and there of the non compliant, to evil butchers who might sell our flesh as mutton.

I find the whole notion of eating willing human flesh intrinsically abhorrent.
06-06-2012, 12:43 AM
I guess there would be an icky factor on the first bite, but if it tastes good, then well, it's rude to let food go to waste.

Actually I would be worried about catching disease from eating human flesh, it is harder to catch disease from other animals.
06-06-2012, 01:10 AM
(06-06-2012 12:43 AM)Stevil Wrote:  I guess there would be an icky factor on the first bite, but if it tastes good, then well, it's rude to let food go to waste.

Actually I would be worried about catching disease from eating human flesh, it is harder to catch disease from other animals.

Dude, that's why you are supposed to cook it first, like any other meat.

Having said that, also ok if sliced correctly by a trained chef and served with some soy and wasabi.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-06-2012, 01:20 AM
(05-06-2012 07:21 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  And do you think that the Catholic tradition of communion is cannibalism?

I don’t think so.
Catholics have enough cognitive dissonance to differentiate selected picks of “metaphorical cherries” from “real cherries”.
06-06-2012, 01:43 AM
(06-06-2012 01:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Dude, that's why you are supposed to cook it first, like any other meat.
So, how would you cook it? Roast, and try and get some crackle going?
Is it tender meat, can I have it medium or does it need to be rare?

Would that be 100% guaranteed to kill disease? Like AIDS, HEP, Meningitus...
06-06-2012, 04:48 AM
I'd eat human flesh if it wasn't stressed on by the law,i mean the way i see it,we've eaten all other animals and they have proven to be pretty great,who thoght gators and ostrich are good but once somebody tied it, it became a delicacy.Who the hell are we to exempt human flesh(again as you said if said human allowed it post death).
If you ever die sign me up for a bit of your thighs and arms.
[+] 1 user Likes Sirchrisnificent's post
06-06-2012, 05:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2012 05:48 AM by Thomas.)
(05-06-2012 07:32 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Strangely I am not a fan of ham because the texture has grossed me out ever since I heard that it has nearly the same consistency as human flesh.

Human flesh is called "Long Pork". Be careful if you're ever offered this dish.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.