Is Christianity Evil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2017, 02:09 AM
Is Christianity Evil?
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgESPmh-TxY

I paused after the first 30 seconds to read the comments to see what I was in for. Curiosity for what was a simple question. I want to know if this person if speaking from the mouth of a person who followers Christianity or looking at the religion as it was said in the Bible. Believe it or not, there are many things that separate the two. For a religion that preaches 'love' and 'forgiveness' I sure do see a lot of people who follow it who are greedy, hateful people.

I find after reading the bible to be rather shocked at how much killing this supposed loving God does. I find that the religion as a whole is controlling, demanding, and very strict on how people should follow it.

There are things I've seen people who follow said religion by cherry picking things they like. Making it seem as though said person is only talking from his point on following a religion or very little research and cherry picking. That is just from the first 30 seconds with how he presents his question. Introductions to a argument is key, if you can't capture a persons interest of knowing whether they are right or wrong within this first window of time, then you've already failed in making your argument valid.
Another thing is, if this 'New Atheism' is as horrible as this person make it sound why do more people feel inclined to follow that rather then think they are just wrong. I find people do not follow things that tend to restrict their way of thinking and way of feeling. 'New Atheism' tend to be made up of people who think many things. The very thing Christian people scream at Atheist is the very thing they are doing to them. 'Not all of us are like' is the phrase I here many Christian tell me when I debate them, thing is I know this. So why do you take me for like the Atheist who offended you before?

This tends to prove the 'hypocrite' theory that is labeled on, not just Christians, but Atheist and other religious and non-religious alike. But, I see it more in Christians and the religious then I do Atheists.

This video by the first 30 seconds alone seems to scream to me that this guy is speaking as an apologist would. Trying to claim how truly 'wonderful' a religion like Christianity is. It feels by his voice he has no reason to pro-claim why this 'New Atheist' movement is saying Christianity is 'Evil'. Nor by in this tone am I expecting to see him find out why many are turning away from Christianity. Not to mention the fact that by the way he presents his question will I see arguments Atheists use to justify why Christians are evil.

But, that is just what I am EXPECTING to hear. I do not know if he will or not prove me wrong or not. This is just from what I've seen for the first few seconds in his video, and what it seems to speak to me. As said in essays of College level or higher, your tone, your voice, your attitude, and your presenting of argument and question all determine how your audience will take it, and what they will expect from your paper/speech.
I have taken that to heart, I do not look to please everyone of my audience. But I don't talk as thought I already know the answer and speak in a tone that says 'we all know this to be ridiculous, I'm just humoring you' sort of tone and attitude. Which to me is how this guy was talking when he presented his question.

I want to know what you all think, whether you watch the whole video or not is up to you. I simply don't have the time to, I searched it up out of curiosity and feel that the video is not worth the headache as youtube and it's comments do this. Nor do I feel like getting triggered over a video, should I see something I don't agree with, as the saw in the comment section of some Atheists and religious alike were. (It's the very reason i turned off my seeing of people commenting on my posts)

But what do you think?

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
06-03-2017, 02:19 AM
RE: Is Christianity Evil?
I think that religions are ultimately a tool. They are a way of getting people to act a certain way.

They are generally represented by texts, and then oral myths surrounding those texts. The myths may be about the book in general (The word of God, for example) or may be about the contents of the book. The myths win, ultimately. If most people think the book says something, or means something, then it doesn't make any difference to them whether it actually does. They go with the myth. Only those diligent enough to check everything out and think for themselves will find the differences. Of course, religion does not encourage this.

A religion is just what the people in it make of it. It can guide them to be good, or evil. Looking objectively at the bible, combined with the simple myth "this is the word of God", makes a dangerous situation in my opinion. The book is filled with violence, hatred and inequality. It's the relatively new, radical approach to just ignore almost everything the book says and cherry pick a few things. What has really happened, in my opinion, is that as cultures have evolved and improved, the text has become less relevant, so people have found more and more inventive ways to tap dance around it. The myth has become that the book is "good", to a nice Christian. They either don't look for themselves, or they just wave away any parts which don't look right with rationalisations.

Notice the disproportionate amount of time Christians now spend talking about Jesus and the New Testament.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
06-03-2017, 02:21 AM
Not interested in YouTube clip but for me christianity is just a scam and tool of social manipulation, just like any other religion. It's also deeply troubling as it can be used to justify anything in mind of believer, by saying that x is god will. There is also a problem with christian mythology being used to deny women, same sex couples and people in general their rights (abortion, marriage, euthanasia).

All in all I think world would be a better place without this nonsense.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
06-03-2017, 02:21 AM
Thank you for the response and I find myself agreeing with you. I searched up something simple and in my search he was the most 'requested' for me to watch. You tube is strange isn't it?

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
06-03-2017, 06:04 AM
Christianity may not be evil, but a fair share of Christians probably qualify.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-03-2017, 06:13 AM
(06-03-2017 06:04 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Christianity may not be evil, but a fair share of Christians probably qualify.

Difference between an evil Christee and an evil atheist is the Christee claims some kind of moral justification.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-03-2017, 06:39 AM
I think it's evil. The good morality in religion doesn't come from god, it comes from us. So they're basically selling our own morality to us with a price-tag and extra baggage we didn't ask for.

It gives legitimacy to fantastical thinking. Most religious people aren't evil, but their practices leaves the door open for anyone to make supernatural claims. Some of which centers around 'death to the unbelievers'.
Like Marcus Brigstocke said; "You are the powerbase of the nutters."

A couple in my neck of the woods exorcised their children to death. Clearly these people were insane, but they probably didn't figure it out all by themselves that witches had spelled their kids and how to drive the evil out.
[+] 4 users Like M. Linoge's post
06-03-2017, 07:15 AM
I think you have framed the wrong question here, as "evil" is a religious concept attached to other religious concepts like "sin". This is exactly why I don't like the label "Problem of Evil" and prefer to use "Problem of suffering" which is far more usefully descriptive and accurately suggestive.

If you mean to ask "is religion harmful" then we have a more objective question to which there's a very objective answer: yes. If you mean "is religion immoral" in the sense of violating societal morality, the answer would be "quite often".
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
06-03-2017, 07:17 AM
(06-03-2017 06:39 AM)M. Linoge Wrote:  The good morality in religion doesn't come from god, it comes from us. So they're basically selling our own morality to us with a price-tag and extra baggage we didn't ask for.
^^^ This.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
06-03-2017, 08:43 AM
(06-03-2017 07:15 AM)mordant Wrote:  If you mean to ask "is religion harmful" then we have a more objective question to which there's a very objective answer: yes. If you mean "is religion immoral" in the sense of violating societal morality, the answer would be "quite often".

I think many aspects of religions are harmful, including:
1) Indoctrinating children
2) Teaching mythology as fact
3) Teaching unverified doctrines as knowledge
4) Rationalizing sexism, homophobia, racism, tribalism
5) Teaching dogmas regardless of context (like the RC anti-contraceptive stance)
6) Teaching that morality only comes from religion
7) Spreading anti-scientific attitudes
8) Teaching prejudice against atheists
[+] 11 users Like Thoreauvian's post