Is Christianity Evil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2017, 09:00 AM
RE: Is Christianity Evil?
(06-03-2017 02:21 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Thank you for the response and I find myself agreeing with you. I searched up something simple and in my search he was the most 'requested' for me to watch. You tube is strange isn't it?

Youtube, same as social media, collects data on you. They present you with what they think appeals to you the most. Based on what you watched in the past, what you subscribed to. The goal is to sell ads to target you, but it also creates a social bubble for persons not in the habit of doing their own research.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2017, 09:01 AM
(06-03-2017 08:43 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 07:15 AM)mordant Wrote:  If you mean to ask "is religion harmful" then we have a more objective question to which there's a very objective answer: yes. If you mean "is religion immoral" in the sense of violating societal morality, the answer would be "quite often".

I think many aspects of religions are harmful, including:
1) Indoctrinating children
2) Teaching mythology as fact
3) Teaching unverified doctrines as knowledge
4) Rationalizing sexism, homophobia, racism, tribalism
5) Teaching dogmas regardless of context (like the RC anti-contraceptive stance)
6) Teaching that morality only comes from religion
7) Spreading anti-scientific attitudes
8) Teaching prejudice against atheists

I agree with Jay. That sums it up pretty well. I had something typed out but Jay hit all the points that I was going to hit.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
06-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Honestly, I don't see how one video can be representative of all Christianity so this reply is more general. The question is complex, but I don't think evil is the word I would use for Christianity itself.

Since I believe Jesus was, at most, an ordinary man and more likely didn't exist at all even as a human, I'm left to assume Christianity started when someone(s) lied. I would probably call that lie evil, but it depends on what its intended purpose was. Maybe it was just a campfire story that someone took way too seriously. Who knows? From there, people who believed the lie spread the word. Not so much evil there; just gullible people. Later, Christianity was spread further through more evil - for example, the crusades. I also think proselytizing to vulnerable, poverty-stricken people is evil as well. However, not everyone who engages in that practice is evil because at least many of them honestly think they are doing good.

After that, "legitimate" Christianity is a mixed bag of good intentions and harms. I wouldn't call the harms "evil" per se, but they are harms nonetheless. The word "legitimate" is intended to distinguish between actual religions and other people hiding under that label in order to separate people from their money. The latter are evil.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
06-03-2017, 10:52 AM
When you can convince good people to commit acts of atrocity, mass murder, genocide, war, torture, rape all in the name of a loving god, then yes, it's evil.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
07-03-2017, 11:55 AM
I think it's most-often used as a tool to control people. It is used in evil ways. Just about all religions seem to have justifications for being better than others, or classifications that rate some people more important than others. And in order to be rated among the important, you must do and be X, Y, and Z. Otherwise, you're part of the out-crowd. And the out-crowd is going to be treated with a lower regard than the in-crowd. Whether that treatment is justified in the texts or as a result of cultural differences is not entirely relevant.

So, evil might not be the right word, but harmful- yes.
07-03-2017, 12:18 PM
(07-03-2017 11:55 AM)Emma Wrote:  I think it's most-often used as a tool to control people. It is used in evil ways. Just about all religions seem to have justifications for being better than others, or classifications that rate some people more important than others.

All religions can be turned into ideologies, same as any secular ideology. That's why I always refrain from calling for their abolishment as some people do. The void would be instantly filled by another flag to rally behind.

Personally I never had the displeasure of meeting evil religious persons or fanatical ones. All I met were friendly people who didn't make a big deal of being religious.
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
07-03-2017, 12:29 PM
(07-03-2017 12:18 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 11:55 AM)Emma Wrote:  I think it's most-often used as a tool to control people. It is used in evil ways. Just about all religions seem to have justifications for being better than others, or classifications that rate some people more important than others.

All religions can be turned into ideologies, same as any secular ideology. That's why I always refrain from calling for their abolishment as some people do. The void would be instantly filled by another flag to rally behind.

Personally I never had the displeasure of meeting evil religious persons or fanatical ones. All I met were friendly people who didn't make a big deal of being religious.

I've met some that were at least devious and and snake oil salesmen- outright liars, like Jim Bakker, for instance. They are out there.

My own father behaves in what I think of as an evil way, for refusing to acknowledge me as a woman and therefore won't talk to me just because he disagrees with me. I've experienced the hatred being wielded as a club in the form of religion.

You're right that those are ideologies being weaponized, rather than religion itself being evil or harmful. But religion does often provide a handy-dandy built-in moral judgement platform.
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
07-03-2017, 12:35 PM
(07-03-2017 12:18 PM)abaris Wrote:  Personally I never had the displeasure of meeting evil religious persons or fanatical ones. All I met were friendly people who didn't make a big deal of being religious.

My personal experience mirrors this as well. Mind you, here in Canada the right-wing whackjobs don't get much traction except in some small pockets in Alberta and eastern British Columbia.

That said, there's one couple I know - parents of a good friend - that are borderline fanatical about their religion but not in a hateful sense. They avoid going to doctors because they believe that prayer heals, they tithe an inordinate amount to their local pastor and try (and have always failed) to influence the school board with "Christian" values. But they're not hateful, nasty people like some we read about in the papers (the Phelps cult being just the most egregious example).
07-03-2017, 01:49 PM
(06-03-2017 02:09 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  For a religion that preaches 'love' and 'forgiveness'

This is where I stopped reading your post. It's obvious you don't know what's in the bible, nor that xianity cannot be separated from the bible.

Here's an idea. rather than asking others questions about it, why not simply read it?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-03-2017, 01:51 PM
(07-03-2017 12:35 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  That said, there's one couple I know - parents of a good friend - that are borderline fanatical about their religion but not in a hateful sense. They avoid going to doctors because they believe that prayer heals, they tithe an inordinate amount to their local pastor and try (and have always failed) to influence the school board with "Christian" values. But they're not hateful, nasty people like some we read about in the papers (the Phelps cult being just the most egregious example).

I might just prefer hateful to all that Shocking Hateful is one thing, but can you imagine if your friend gets sick (I dunno your age) and they recommend prayer? That shit can and does kill sometimes.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.