Is Christianity Evil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2017, 01:55 PM
RE: Is Christianity Evil?
(07-03-2017 01:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  I might just prefer hateful to all that Shocking Hateful is one thing, but can you imagine if your friend gets sick (I dunno your age) and they recommend prayer? That shit can and does kill sometimes.

What is in question is the religion itself.

This is where Heath goes askew.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2017, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2017 02:00 PM by Heath_Tierney.)
(07-03-2017 01:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 12:35 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  That said, there's one couple I know - parents of a good friend - that are borderline fanatical about their religion but not in a hateful sense. They avoid going to doctors because they believe that prayer heals, they tithe an inordinate amount to their local pastor and try (and have always failed) to influence the school board with "Christian" values. But they're not hateful, nasty people like some we read about in the papers (the Phelps cult being just the most egregious example).

I might just prefer hateful to all that Shocking Hateful is one thing, but can you imagine if your friend gets sick (I dunno your age) and they recommend prayer? That shit can and does kill sometimes.

He and I are both in our 50s. Yes, the whole "health through prayer" thing is beyond the pale, but his parents are in their 80s, they're not about to change, and they have a daughter who's a nurse who helps manage them. In short, they're not hurting anyone, so if they're happy in their delusions and harmless, I say let them be.

(07-03-2017 01:55 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What is in question is the religion itself.

I agree that it's all nonsense, but as I mentioned above, they're not harming anyone. If they were, for instance, withholding treatment from a child based on their religion, this conversation would be different.
07-03-2017, 01:59 PM
(07-03-2017 01:56 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  He and I are both in our 50s. Yes, the whole "health through prayer" thing is beyond the pale, but his parents are in their 80s, they're not about to change, and they have a daughter who's a nurse who helps manage them. In short, they're not hurting anyone, so if they're happy in their delusions and harmless, I say let them be.

Who'd they vote for?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
07-03-2017, 01:59 PM
(07-03-2017 01:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hateful is one thing, but can you imagine if your friend gets sick (I dunno your age) and they recommend prayer? That shit can and does kill sometimes.

I never met anyone being into that kind of shit either. The christians I knew and know go to the doctor just fine.

I know, stuff like that exists, but it seems to me it's still savely confined to America and Africa. I'm also pretty certain that praying instead of consulting a doctor is fringe there also.
07-03-2017, 02:02 PM
(07-03-2017 01:59 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Who'd they vote for?

No idea. Definitely not Trump as we're all in Canada. They probably wouldn't vote for him if they were American anyway because of his - Trump's - multiple wives.
07-03-2017, 02:18 PM
(07-03-2017 01:56 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 01:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  I might just prefer hateful to all that Shocking Hateful is one thing, but can you imagine if your friend gets sick (I dunno your age) and they recommend prayer? That shit can and does kill sometimes.

He and I are both in our 50s. Yes, the whole "health through prayer" thing is beyond the pale, but his parents are in their 80s, they're not about to change, and they have a daughter who's a nurse who helps manage them. In short, they're not hurting anyone, so if they're happy in their delusions and harmless, I say let them be.

(07-03-2017 01:55 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What is in question is the religion itself.

I agree that it's all nonsense, but as I mentioned above, they're not harming anyone. If they were, for instance, withholding treatment from a child based on their religion, this conversation would be different.

Ah OK. I see where you're coming from now. Still... The thing of interest to me is... that people who get up to silly shit like that with a smile on their face IMO can be more dangerous than the out-there nutters who at least have the decency to make it clear that they're a raving lunatic so that normal people stay away.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-03-2017, 02:21 PM
(07-03-2017 12:18 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 11:55 AM)Emma Wrote:  I think it's most-often used as a tool to control people. It is used in evil ways. Just about all religions seem to have justifications for being better than others, or classifications that rate some people more important than others.

All religions can be turned into ideologies, same as any secular ideology. That's why I always refrain from calling for their abolishment as some people do. The void would be instantly filled by another flag to rally behind.

Personally I never had the displeasure of meeting evil religious persons or fanatical ones. All I met were friendly people who didn't make a big deal of being religious.

(07-03-2017 12:18 PM)abaris Wrote:  Personally I never had the displeasure of meeting evil religious persons or fanatical ones.
Lucky for you. May that always be true.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-03-2017, 02:28 PM
(07-03-2017 02:02 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 01:59 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Who'd they vote for?

No idea. Definitely not Trump as we're all in Canada. They probably wouldn't vote for him if they were American anyway because of his - Trump's - multiple wives.

Ha.

I wonder if they vote conservative?

Banjo.
07-03-2017, 02:32 PM
(07-03-2017 02:28 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Ha.

I wonder if they vote conservative?

Honestly don't know. Not even sure if they vote at all.
07-03-2017, 02:37 PM
(07-03-2017 02:32 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Honestly don't know. Not even sure if they vote at all.

Right.

Thanks.

Banjo.