Is Christianity Evil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2017, 04:58 PM
RE: Is Christianity Evil?
My biggest problem with Christianity is it's inherent anti-intellectualism. At it's worse, it teaches one to denigrate rationality, and reason, and critical thinking.

What always puts me on my guard is Christians that say they love me, and want to convert me because they love me. Christians that want to help me.I would rather somebody hate me if they are intellectually honest and competent, than have a foolish Christian that wants to rule my life because they love me.

When I get this from Christians it makes me think of a retarded child holding a dead kitten they have loved to death. And bluntly, those Republican politicians that are oh so religious are as dangerous to me as retarded children are to cute, fuzzy kittens. And so are the good Christians that vote for them.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
17-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Quick note: nobody says "retarded", anymore, as it's considered insulting to people with a legitimate handicap. Frankly, the term is too nice for the types of fundamentalists you're describing, since being mentally handicapped isn't a personal fault of any kind, while willful ignorance is among the worst.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
17-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Interestingly, while Christianity is full of lies and bad ideas, Christians themselves can often be quite normal and pleasant people -- which says something about basic human resilience.

However, people who take Christianity too seriously are often much worse than ordinary Christians.

That's it. Carry on.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
17-05-2017, 08:13 PM
(17-05-2017 06:11 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Interestingly, while Christianity is full of lies and bad ideas, Christians themselves can often be quite normal and pleasant people -- which says something about basic human resilience.

However, people who take Christianity too seriously are often much worse than ordinary Christians.

That's it. Carry on.
Yes, there are people who remain good in SPITE of their religion.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
18-05-2017, 08:08 AM
(17-05-2017 08:13 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(17-05-2017 06:11 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Interestingly, while Christianity is full of lies and bad ideas, Christians themselves can often be quite normal and pleasant people -- which says something about basic human resilience.

That's it. Carry on.
Yes, there are people who remain good in SPITE of their religion.

Yes that's an important point. The distinction must be made between Christianity as a set of ideas and Christians who may not understand that Christianity is completely false. If they've been taught since they were little toddlers that it is true then they are victims. If they refuse to think though and just accept it on faith then they deserve to get deceived.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
18-05-2017, 10:48 AM
I don't know about "evil" because that's a subjective term, but I can say according to bible, god himself is guilty of his own definition of evil.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
18-05-2017, 10:51 AM
(06-03-2017 02:09 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  ---
But what do you think?

Tl;dr.

Yes, Christianity is evil. Next question. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Ok, now I've had time to think about it Dodgy ... I hate it when that happens.

Christianity is a human construct. In fact, all "religion" is a human constructed institution devised and developed to get the masses to control themselves in an orderly and more malleable manner.

By it's own "rules", man is sinful from the get-go so, anything man-made is sinful - therefore: evil. Shy

still tl;dr. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-05-2017, 11:12 AM

That's it. Carry on.

I've come to agree with this. Everyone needs some sort of community. That's what it's mostly about for almost everyone. 99.99 % aren't really interested in debates or theology or the divisions it causes. If 50 % of Lutherans can't tell us who Martin Luther was, and 50 % of Catholics can't say what "transubstantiation" is, (Pew data), it isn't about anything overtly intellectual. For most, I think it's a tool to bring up the kids with some sort of values, (absent any other way they know of, or have to do that), and community for the old folks.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-05-2017, 11:31 AM
(18-05-2017 11:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I've come to agree with this. Everyone needs some sort of community. That's what it's mostly about for almost everyone. 99.99 % aren't really interested in debates or theology or the divisions it causes. If 50 % of Lutherans can't tell us who Martin Luther was, and 50 % of Catholics can't say what "transubstantiation" is, (Pew data), it isn't about anything overtly intellectual. For most, I think it's a tool to bring up the kids with some sort of values, (absent any other way they know of, or have to do that), and community for the old folks.

Pretty much this.

I'd be willing to be a large percentage don't even really believe the things their church teaches. I know when I was CoC, there were people that showed up every service and bible class that I know didn't really believe Jebus was ever really "coming back" or really took it seriously in their "heart of hearts". I think many at best thought maybe it was kind of true and that we just don't understand it and hoped it would all work itself out after they die.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post