Is Christianity really a monotheistic religion according to the Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2014, 02:29 PM

One can make the argument that the Catholic saints can be counted as minor deities in their own right, or that the Trinity is in reality 3 Gods, but that's not what I wuld ask.

In the Bible there are only one place Christianity claims they are monotheistic:

The first Commandment. Here's the text (boldness inserted by me):

Quote:Exodus 20

And God spoke all these words:

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

3 “You shall have no other gods before me.

4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Doese'nt that sound like God are telling people that there are in fact other gods, only that you are not allowed to worship them?

-----
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lunda's post
06-07-2014, 02:41 PM
RE: Is Christianity really a monotheistic religion according to the Bible?
Don't forget the cult of mary bullshit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
06-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Yep - Having never been raised in a strongly religious background it only recently occured to me that what is the jealous God jealous of?
06-07-2014, 03:22 PM
(06-07-2014 02:45 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Yep - Having never been raised in a strongly religious background it only recently occured to me that what is the jealous God jealous of?

Funny. It occured to me the first time I read it.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
06-07-2014, 04:03 PM
In 2 Kings 3:27 the Moabite King Mesha sacrifices his son to his god Chemosh to turn back the armies of Israel. It worked! Despite the prophet Elisha telling them that Yahweh would give them victory.

The pagan roots of ancient Semites pops its head up in interesting places in the Bible....

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
06-07-2014, 04:20 PM
I think you're going to find this paper from the Institute of Biblical Research of some interest. Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
06-07-2014, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2014 04:51 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Yahweh had a wife, (Ashura, proven by archaeology). Throghout their history the Hebrews were told to stop their worship of other gods, (Baal, Sin etc).
The "covenant" was, that in exchange for his assistance, they would only worship one, (not that believed in only one). There are many examples of other "divine beings" in Israel's history.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-07-2014, 06:25 PM
The jealousy of Yahveh is because he is a asshole and a attention whore.
06-07-2014, 06:34 PM
(06-07-2014 04:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yahweh had a wife, (Ashura, proven by archaeology). Throghout their history the Hebrews were told to stop their worship of other gods, (Baal, Sin etc).
The "covenant" was, that in exchange for his assistance, they would only worship one, (not that believed in only one). There are many examples of other "divine beings" in Israel's history.

I was going to link that video.

Out of curiosity; why that one over the original?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.