Is Creationism even valid?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Is Creationism even valid?
I made a post on Reddit about Creationism yesterday:

"Creationism is invalid because the author of Genesis is unknown/up for debate.

If a book has no identified, verified author, it's illogical to place more weight on its contents than on those theories that have been empirically supported and repeatedly tested/researched by the scientific community (Big Bang and evolution).

As for the argument that creationism preceded evolution, there is still more support for the Big Bang than there is for Creationism, which is based entirely on assumption. So how do you justify your belief in Creation despite evidence pointing elsewhere?"

I've received a few personal insults from the responding Christians already, and one particular commenter is very set on denying any claims I make, regardless of the support I provide.

What are you thoughts on the subject? I am willing to change my viewpoint, I'm just tired of debating in a forum where I have to defend my intelligence in addition to my beliefs.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like av0vad0's post
03-06-2017, 01:15 PM
RE: Is Creationism even valid?
Sorry, logic doesn't work against faith. Or even bald assertions of faith.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
03-06-2017, 01:22 PM
(03-06-2017 01:07 PM)av0vad0 Wrote:  I made a post on Reddit about Creationism yesterday:

"Creationism is invalid because the author of Genesis is unknown/up for debate.

If a book has no identified, verified author, it's illogical to place more weight on its contents than on those theories that have been empirically supported and repeatedly tested/researched by the scientific community (Big Bang and evolution).

As for the argument that creationism preceded evolution, there is still more support for the Big Bang than there is for Creationism, which is based entirely on assumption. So how do you justify your belief in Creation despite evidence pointing elsewhere?"

I've received a few personal insults from the responding Christians already, and one particular commenter is very set on denying any claims I make, regardless of the support I provide.

What are you thoughts on the subject? I am willing to change my viewpoint, I'm just tired of debating in a forum where I have to defend my intelligence in addition to my beliefs.

I would say that any theory idea that requires an appeal to any authority to be believed and is not verifiable by outside examination is invalid. The author should be irrelevant. What's true is true.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
03-06-2017, 01:23 PM
I just stopped debating Christians. It's really hard to have a debate with certain religious people when the answer is always "'Cause magic." If they want to believe we were made in God's own personal Play-Doh factory, then have at it. If they want to believe God created intelligent beings who can science and then did everything in his power to create a world that goes against all scientific understanding, then have at it. If they want to believe with the thousands of religions in the world, each with their own creation stories, Genesis has it right, then have at it. I think sometimes you just have to leave certain people where they're at for your own sanity and state of zen-ness Wink
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
03-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Creationism is invalid cause it has no basis in the facts. It's just creation myth of heavily splintered sect that is popular now.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-06-2017, 01:37 PM
(03-06-2017 01:07 PM)av0vad0 Wrote:  What are you thoughts on the subject? I am willing to change my viewpoint, I'm just tired of debating in a forum where I have to defend my intelligence in addition to my beliefs.

As you say, science provides logical, evidence-based theories for how the universe came to be and how order arose. I would recommend the book Big History, which I read earlier this year. It goes into the many remarkable details which science has uncovered.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-History-Exami...ig+history

Genesis is so obviously a myth, it's surprising in this modern age that so many people still believe it is either literally or even metaphorically correct.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
03-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Is astrology valid?
Is alchemy valid?
Would you take proponents of astrology or alchemy serious and debate with them?...Then, why are you on reddit discussing evolution?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
03-06-2017, 02:25 PM
av0vad0, you can't talk to hard core creatards. You can only address their ideas and speak to the fence-sitters. Engage their concepts, show where they're wrong, and move on. They have to lie about the facts so they've given up any honorable attempt at communications.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
03-06-2017, 02:47 PM
Creationism is a morally bankrupt abuse of science and scripture. There is overwhelming evidence that the biblical creation account is every bit as mythological as the Greek, Norse and Egyptian myths, just to name a few.

Debating creationist is pointless. Talking to a wall is more rewarding.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
03-06-2017, 02:53 PM
(03-06-2017 01:37 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 01:07 PM)av0vad0 Wrote:  What are you thoughts on the subject? I am willing to change my viewpoint, I'm just tired of debating in a forum where I have to defend my intelligence in addition to my beliefs.

As you say, science provides logical, evidence-based theories for how the universe came to be and how order arose. I would recommend the book Big History, which I read earlier this year. It goes into the many remarkable details which science has uncovered.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-History-Exami...ig+history

Genesis is so obviously a myth, it's surprising in this modern age that so many people still believe it is either literally or even metaphorically correct.

Um, no it isn't. They are xhristards and therefore morons.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post