Is Driving Hard?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 05:03 AM
Is Driving Hard?
My parents, as I've said, haven't given me much self confidence in my life. And no wonder, considering I was told I was being watched for every little thing I did and I was always horrible in God's eyes. Not to mention I was punished for having any thoughts against God and for being a small kid in church finding playing with my friends was better than whatever the sweaty guy was screaming. In short, they Brow-Beat the shit out of me and I have little to no self confidence.

When it came to driving, I was for a while confident on doing that, however one day my dad thought it'd be funny to tell me to 'Take the Wheel' as we were close to hitting the electric fence. Needless to say I was terrified that day.

Recently i tried to learn to drive a stick and that didn't go over too well either. My dad seems to think making jokes and other things help with my confidence. But, I've told him over and over it doesn't help it only makes things worse. He's not the best when it comes to 'Think before you Joke'.

I have to ask, is it hard to drive an automatic? He's telling me it's easier to drive that as you don't have to turned the wheel a full 360 to make turns. Is driving really that hard? And is there is a way I can build of confidence?

Because I swear as long as I ask my dad or my grandfather I'll only get more scared to drive as long as I live. And I swear that is just what they want, to keep me at the house forever and never grow up. But I'm tired of hearing about religion, politics, and being belittle emotionally.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2017, 05:07 AM
RE: Is Driving Hard?
Hug

Long time driver (In a foreign/not American country).

Yes, driving an auto is easier than a manual.

I say that on the caveat of my early (First few decades) of driving manuals before owning an automatic.

Am back happily diving a manual today, though. Smile

All the very best.
06-06-2017, 05:13 AM
I've been driving for 50+ years and never had an accident charged to me. I was fortunate that my school offered Driver's Ed classes each summer. When it came time to take the test I was completely unconcerned about doing the required maneuvers.

If you drive, don't use your phone!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
06-06-2017, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 05:22 AM by OakTree500.)
Are you based in the US? I imagine it'd be super easy to crack on with an automatic license? Manual cars are slightly harder to drive, but if anything it's just a case of getting used to it, and you soon do.

I've not long passed my driving test, which here in the UK means "manual/Stick shift". In all honesty I wouldn't say it's hard to drive, but it's hard to drive like a plank in order to pass your test. In also saying that, the amount of pressure I put myself under during the lessons was 100% not needed, as my actual test was super easy, and had I known I would have done it ages ago.

Keep going with it is all I can say. I have an anxiety disorder, and more than once had a bit of a meltdown during a lesson, because I was finding it "difficult", yet as soon as I passed my test, it felt like I've been driving forever. I was super anxious about driving out and about, yet I regularly now drive when I can locally and much further afield. Once you get the gist of how it works, it's pretty good Smile

Quick edit:

As others have already said, but with a few more points:
Don't use your phone when driving
Play some music you like (this helps me a TON when I drive)
Go as fast/slow as your are comfortable with, but also don't hold up the traffic (If the speed limit is 40MPH, do 40)
Overall, don't take risks and be aware of the other traffic

I'm not sure what the test consists of in the US, although over here it was 40 minutes altogether, 15 of which involved showing the instructor various parts of the car, then the rest driving about. Of the driving part it was: 1 maneuver (which could have been: Parallel park, three point turn or reverse around a corner), potentially the "emergency stop" and 15-20 minutes of "self drive" which is when the instructor says "follow the signs for [where-ever]" and you do that until they say so. All in all, super quick and fairly straight forward Smile

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
06-06-2017, 05:26 AM
Making a car go where you want it to is pretty easy and just takes practice. Especially a car with an automatic transmission.

I don't know where the comment comes in about not having to turn the wheel 360 degrees to make a turn. I think he is messing with you on that. Cars with power steering are simple to steer and turning the wheel that far seems that it would just make you go in circles. Consider

It takes practice to operate a car so that your stops and starts and turns are smooth but not really difficult tasks.

More difficult is getting used to being out among all the other cars and trucks on the road. There's a lot going on and you need to be alert; paying attention to things around you as well as weather and road conditions.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-06-2017, 05:34 AM
Worth mentioning that as time goes on, the cars themselves are improving so much, you personally have less and less work to put in.

I first started learning at 17, but didn't finish until I was 28 (not consistently learning for 10 years, just stopping and starting as I could never get it done), and I've noticed the amount of things change in "modern" cars, from how smooth they operate to having to use lower gears as they are more efficient. Plus you can get self parking cars now...it's nuts lol.

06-06-2017, 05:34 AM
(06-06-2017 05:18 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Are you based in the US? I imagine it'd be super easy to crack on with an automatic license? Manual cars are slightly harder to drive, but if anything it's just a case of getting used to it, and you soon do.

I'm in the US, Missouri right now. Learned to drive in Indiana.

Manual transmissions are more work and doubtful benefit. I learned on an automatic and my first experience with a manual transmission was when the Y-donor bought a car with a "stick shift" and told me to get it home. Took me three hours. Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
06-06-2017, 05:43 AM
(06-06-2017 05:34 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 05:18 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Are you based in the US? I imagine it'd be super easy to crack on with an automatic license? Manual cars are slightly harder to drive, but if anything it's just a case of getting used to it, and you soon do.

Manual transmissions are more work and doubtful benefit. I learned on an automatic and my first experience with a manual transmission was when the Y-donor bought a car with a "stick shift" and told me to get it home. Took me three hours. Tongue
Amazing!

In all honesty, Automatics are more straight forward, but the culture over here has become "you only have an automatic, if you're handicapped in some way", which is sad really, but that's the way it is.

As for how easy/hard it is, I find it to be "fine". I still stall the car from time to time, as my foot would slip off a pedal or I don't have the clutch quite right, but generally it's not that difficult, and especially when you're on a motorway, you slip it into 5th (or 6th gear now on some cars) and just keep your foot down lol.

06-06-2017, 05:44 AM
Once you've learned, driving isn't hard, but some driving situations are nerve-wracking. Driving in heavy rain or snow or in crazy traffic can be draining.

Stick isn't that much harder than automatic, but it takes time to get the feel for the gears and shifting. If you want to learn quickly, automatic is the way to go. I learned simultaneously on an automatic car in driver's ed at school and on my parents' two cars, both sticks but with different gear patterns and wildly different clutch responses.

Learning to drive is the hard part, because driving lessons involving relatives can concentrate the negatives of the relationship. (I remember my father mocking me a lot as I stalled out his car while trying to make a left at a light, etc. Fortunately I got most of my instruction through driver's ed, but a lot of school systems don't have those anymore) With my kid, what wound up happening was I taught my son the basics of driving and maneuvering, mostly slow speeds and drives in parking lots or back roads. Once he'd gotten good at that, my husband took over in teaching the faster stuff, like highways. My husband tried to do the basics but was too impatient, and I was too much of a wuss to be able to sit in the passenger seat in a car going 60 MPH.

If you can afford it, driving school or even just a few driving lessons with a non family member, may be a good choice.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
06-06-2017, 05:44 AM
At work.

(06-06-2017 05:34 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  

Benifits of a manual/stick shift:

Able to 'Clutch' start the vehicle should the battery be flat and a hill available to 'Roll start'/turn the engine over.

Technically a manual uses less horse power. Since some engine power is used to work the gears for you in an automatic.

Some 'Purist' insist that they can work the manual transmission 'better' than the settings of an automatic.

Though, with todays much better electonic controls etc, such thoughts have probably fallen by the wayside

Just some minor points. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post