Is Driving Hard?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 05:48 AM
RE: Is Driving Hard?
I've "clutch started" an automatic by rolling it down a hill. Just need to get it going over ~20 mph. (Until it starts you don't have assisted steering or brakes on either type car.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
06-06-2017, 05:48 AM
Been driving for over 40 years, most of then using a stick.

Personally, I prefer driving stick; it gives me an extra level of control I don't have with an automatic. I like to be able to control my revs independently.

That said, I'm currently driving a twin-turbo automatic.

But regardless of what you drive, it's simply a matter of practice.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
06-06-2017, 05:49 AM
(06-06-2017 05:44 AM)julep Wrote:  Stick isn't that much harder than automatic, but it takes time to get the feel for the gears and shifting. If you want to learn quickly, automatic is the way to go. I learned simultaneously on an automatic car in driver's ed at school and on my parents' two cars, both sticks but with different gear patterns and wildly different clutch responses.
This is the only negative of manuals I find. Each car (or model of car) is different from the last. The car I learned it was a brand new "Mini" which was amazing. The clutch alone in 1st gear would drive the car (with no gas) at 5MPH. Yet in my wife's car, which is what I drive now I'm past, doesn't do that and 1st gear basically does nothing...you have to switch straight into 2nd and a brief blast of gas to get moving.

(06-06-2017 05:44 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Benifits of a manual/stick shift:

Able to 'Clutch' start the vehicle should the battery be flat and a hill available to 'Roll start'/turn the engine over.

Technically a manual uses less horse power. Since some engine power is used to work the gears for you in an automatic.

Some 'Purist' insist that they can work the manual transmission 'better' than the settings of an automatic.

Though, with todays much better electonic controls etc, such thoughts have probably fallen by the wayside

Just some minor points. Tongue
In all honesty, I think the "industry" is revolving around people who are petrol heads, and they in themselves just like to feel "in control" of the car. Not to say a manual isn't under you control, but I think they enjoy knowing you can shift up/down etc.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
06-06-2017, 05:49 AM
Boss Lady drove a stick until '09. She just had a knee replaced and was very happy we had an automatic, she got back into driving much quicker.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
06-06-2017, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 07:14 AM by Deesse23.)
Automatic is for gay, handicapped, and ´muricans.

Nuff said Censored

Tongue Tongue Tongue

Edit: with exception of people like Jennybee of course Smile

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
06-06-2017, 07:08 AM
I prefer automatic. It's easier to drink my Starbucks that way Wink
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
06-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Also, I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but it might be helpful to take some lessons from a driving school. It sounds like your dad is making it hard for you to learn confidently.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-06-2017, 08:06 AM
Are there rules for teaching people in the US? In the UK you're allowed to drive a car if there is a person in there with you, who has held a valid UK license for 5 years I believe.You also need to be on the insurance for the vehicle as a named driver.

Over here it's still the "normal" thing to go via a driving school, as you learn in their car, which the has dual controls, which you can also use for the test accordingly. The only minor thing is it costs a fair amount now, one of the reasons it took me so long.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
06-06-2017, 08:12 AM
(06-06-2017 07:08 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I prefer automatic. It's easier to drink my Starbucks that way Wink

I have two cars, one manual, one automatic ...and they certainly each have things they are better for. Trying to drink coffee in the manual is a great pathway towards a scalded lap.

Driver's ed is good if it's available (I got a "hardship" license when I was 15, and had to complete driver's ed as a requirement for it); I first learned to drive baling hay with my older brother (in Missouri at the time too, as I think about it) in an old "three on the tree" Dodge truck. My dad made me a nervous wreck giving me driving lessons even in the automatic transmission Ford LTD land yacht (it was probably mutual, if I think about it honestly), but then my father was a freaking scary driver who shared all of his worst habits with my siblings and I.

It gets a lot easier over time with either, and although personally I'm glad that I learned on a manual first ...an automatic is probably MUCH easier for a new driver to learn on.
06-06-2017, 08:43 AM
I've got a love story that involves driving a manual, though it does NOT involve sex with the gear shifter....(you sicko people .....I know how some of you think Dodgy )

Anyway, when I met my future husband he was driving a manual and I didn't know how to drive his car but I didn't want him to know about this because I thought he'd think I was a total idiot. So I made one excuse after another to not drive his car and I had my own car anyway. Well, I had a gay friend who I confided my embarrassment to and he helped me learn how to drive his manual car. He even lent me his car for a couple of weeks while he was away on a trip.

When my friend returned I was driving like a pro and felt more at ease if my future husband were to ask me to drive his car, which at one point when we were on a trip he did. Not long after this he asked me to marry him. Big Grin Of course it was more than my knowing how to shift his gears....... but it didn't hurt. Tongue

So I've driven both manual and automatic. Looooooooooooove automatic. Hate stick, even with the above story. I drove in Los Angeles for 8 years, about half the time in a manual and when I started driving an automatic my life improved 100%. Call me a sissy American, I don't care. I love automatic.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post