Is Driving Hard?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2017, 03:20 AM
RE: Is Driving Hard?
Eh, some people just don't like driving. I met a girl like that back in 2015, she has a licence but said she hates driving and she's not very good at it. Having not seen her drive I can't comment, but everyone makes mistakes and improves with practise.

On the whole auto vs manual thing - it makes no difference whatsoever. My youngest brother learned to drive on an auto because that's what was available at the time. A couple of years ago he went for a new job that required driving a van and at the interview he told them "I haven't driven a manual for a couple of years" (in fact never) to which the owner said "ah don't worry it'll come right back to you". He was so nervous, I loaned him my car for about 3 or 4 days before he had a full day's trial at the company, and that was his entire experience driving a manual! During that time he went to the government shopfront and had them change his license over (for some reason it hadn't been done automatically, although it should have been). He said he stalled the van several times ... but, let's be honest that's to be expected. He now has a company van and love his job with the company.

Also, yes as others have suggested get a driving instructor to teach you instead of your parents. Smile

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Automatic cars simply save you the shifting.
And I prefer shift stick over automatic. I feel I have more control of the car that way but that's just a preference.

How far you turn the steering wheel ... I don't think it is about automatic but I could be wrong.
But I can tell you that I have never had to turn the wheel 360 degrees to go around a corner. For a uturn maybe but I also had to turn it that far when i was driving an automatic. So I figure it is more the make and model. Though you could ask a friend who knows about cars. (Don't ask your dad please? He is the reason for your low self esteem. Won't be very helpful)

And for the initial question if driving is hard.
Depends I guess.
If you are very nervous or tired or stressed, it can be hard because everything will be distracting and focusing on the road when you are in a bad state of mind is hard. You might over react or be slow or whatever. But generally I wouldn't say it is hard.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
07-06-2017, 06:36 PM
(06-06-2017 05:03 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  My parents, as I've said, haven't given me much self confidence in my life. And no wonder, considering I was told I was being watched for every little thing I did and I was always horrible in God's eyes. Not to mention I was punished for having any thoughts against God and for being a small kid in church finding playing with my friends was better than whatever the sweaty guy was screaming. In short, they Brow-Beat the shit out of me and I have little to no self confidence.

When it came to driving, I was for a while confident on doing that, however one day my dad thought it'd be funny to tell me to 'Take the Wheel' as we were close to hitting the electric fence. Needless to say I was terrified that day.

Recently i tried to learn to drive a stick and that didn't go over too well either. My dad seems to think making jokes and other things help with my confidence. But, I've told him over and over it doesn't help it only makes things worse. He's not the best when it comes to 'Think before you Joke'.

I have to ask, is it hard to drive an automatic? He's telling me it's easier to drive that as you don't have to turned the wheel a full 360 to make turns. Is driving really that hard? And is there is a way I can build of confidence?

Because I swear as long as I ask my dad or my grandfather I'll only get more scared to drive as long as I live. And I swear that is just what they want, to keep me at the house forever and never grow up. But I'm tired of hearing about religion, politics, and being belittle emotionally.

It also very much depends on where you live. Traffic, streets and how well people obey traffic laws.

For example, I have no problem driving in my city, automatic or manual. However, in İstanbul, I won't even try it. And even when I get in a taxi, I am absolutely mortified.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
07-06-2017, 10:21 PM
(07-06-2017 02:48 PM)Leerob Wrote:  And for the initial question if driving is hard.
Depends I guess.

I don't know, some people just don't like it and do find it hard. Although I would certainly suggest getting lessons with an instructor before concluding that you can't drive. There was a lady a few years ago on one of our Current Affairs shows who was annoyed that she couldn't drive, she had went through several instructors trying to learn, the final one she went to gives a guarantee that you will learn to drive in X number of lessons and after 6 or 7 lessons the instructor apologised to her for wasting her time and refunded her money in full. She was a perfectly normal lady too, not crazy or mentally ill or handicapped or anything.

But that's very rare. Just using it to show that the difficulty is different for different people. Just because some people find it easier doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you. Anyway you're still young, you can learn any time. I know someone that just got his license in his 30's - and he had the exact same problem re: "parental instruction".

My Blog
08-06-2017, 02:46 AM
I think the person teaching you helps a lot as well. I wen't through several instructors over the years, after starting/stopping learning at various points for many reasons, and each one was different in they way they taught a person to drive.

The first chap I has was not very nice, and would end up shouting at you if you didn't do something correctly. After a few lessons of that, I started making excuses and just never took another lesson with him. I just remember trying to creep out of a busy junction and him bellowing like "GO FASTER", it really didn't help me at all.

A year or two later when I started learning again, I had a very nice lady who was young, calm and very sweet. She helped me a lot as I was a very nervous driver. She helped me a lot with the Theory end of things as well, with little Q&A sheets to help me learn about the more obscure rules of the road.

Due to moving about, I didn't start again for some time, and a few years later I had an older chap who was also pretty calm, but gave the impression of "I'm not massively interested". I stopped after passing my theory test that same year and the same chap had left the driving school for some unknown reason. They refunded me the money, but I needed it for a holiday at the time lol.

And THIS year I had a real nice chap, who was super chilled out and supportive, even when I had a bit of a panic attack driving the car at one point. He helped me through everything and eventually, some 11 years later, I passed my driving test! [Funnily enough he attends my mothers church and is very religious, so it took a bible bashing christian to teach an atheist how to drive, go figure haha.]

The important thing is, just see how it goes. I know I could never have learned with my dad, as he would have just shouted the entire time, as that's how parents are. A driving school would be 100% times better, as long as you have an instructor you gel with.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
08-06-2017, 06:32 AM
(06-06-2017 05:48 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I've "clutch started" an automatic by rolling it down a hill. Just need to get it going over ~20 mph...

Can't be done on any auto vehicles built in the last 40 years or so—current vehicles don't have an output driven pump, which is needed to engage the clutch packs.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
08-06-2017, 06:41 AM
Once you've got about a year or more worth of experience driving "regularly" and are comfortable on the road, it's worth investigating a high-performance driving school. You will learn a TON about how to correct without overcorrecting, how to properly apex a corner (useful even when you're not on the track), how to avoid target fixation and how to keep your wits about you when you start to spin on icy/wet roads. (Remember: look where you want to go.)

*Note: the links refer primarily to motorcycle riding, but are just as applicable in a car.
08-06-2017, 07:27 AM
Hadn't seen it mentioned but a manual transmission is generally much cheaper to maintain and, if necessary, to replace.

Perhaps the most important consideration, however, is that, when the snow comes, it's much easier to do doughnuts with a manual.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post