Is Ebola Airborne?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 06:09 AM
Is Ebola Airborne?
Contrary to this article which a friend recently shared on Facebook with this shout of triumph "See? See? SEE???!!! People are getting it, wearing FULL PROTECTIVE GEAR. My intuitions are never wrong."

No. It's not airborne.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/ebolaairborne.asp

Once I shared the snopes link, the person who shared the article came back and defended her position with "Ok but there are still people coming down with it, that never touched a patient." and her mom chimed in that you could be infected if someone sneezes on you and that many people would consider that to be "airborne."

I think it's just an example of how the sloppy thinking and equivocation used to defend religion spills over into other areas (these people are also young earth creationists). As far as I understand the situation, someone who appears to have followed all the protocols and was infected anyway and they are trying to figure out how it happened. Jumping to an unlikely conclusion before doing the work doesn't help anyone.

They also probably don't realize that by believing Ebola could become airborne that it means they also believe in evolution.

Anyway, just giving you a heads up in case a similar article shows up in your social media feeds.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
13-10-2014, 06:22 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 07:13 AM by morondog.)
RE: Is Ebola Airborne?
Seen it already, but thanks for the snopes link. It really grates me badly when people spread misinformation. Angry Hard enough for medical community to put together a response without fucken idiots shouting "conspiracy" all over the place.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
13-10-2014, 06:26 AM
"I wonder if all the conservatives yelling that Ebola might become airborne realize it means they now believe in evolution?"
https://twitter.com/Green_Footballs/stat...3940336640

Also - are you a user of the rbutr plugin
http://rbutr.com/
?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
13-10-2014, 06:32 AM
(13-10-2014 06:26 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Also - are you a user of the rbutr plugin
http://rbutr.com/
?

I am not, but thanks for the tip!

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
13-10-2014, 07:24 AM
(13-10-2014 06:09 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  They also probably don't realize that by believing Ebola could become airborne that it means they also believe in evolution.

Yes, but only micro-evolutiuon, not macro-evolution. It's still a virus so it hasn't changed "kind" (whatever the hell that means). When an ebola virus gives birth to a dog they'll believe in evolution.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
13-10-2014, 07:26 AM
I wish the media would stop scaring the shit out of people. You are more likely to die from a common flu virus or heart disease or even in a car accident.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2014, 09:38 AM
(13-10-2014 07:24 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 06:09 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  They also probably don't realize that by believing Ebola could become airborne that it means they also believe in evolution.
Yes, but only micro-evolutiuon, not macro-evolution. It's still a virus so it hasn't changed "kind" (whatever the hell that means). When an ebola virus gives birth to a dog they'll believe in evolution.

Surely it at least indicates the addition of new information Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
13-10-2014, 09:41 AM
(13-10-2014 09:38 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 07:24 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Yes, but only micro-evolutiuon, not macro-evolution. It's still a virus so it hasn't changed "kind" (whatever the hell that means). When an ebola virus gives birth to a dog they'll believe in evolution.

Surely it at least indicates the addition of new information Wink

Which could only come from an Ultimate Being™. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
13-10-2014, 09:47 AM
(13-10-2014 09:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 09:38 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Surely it at least indicates the addition of new information Wink

Which could only come from an Ultimate Being™. Yes

Yeah...she did come back with the "God created organisms to adapt. Especially viruses!" response. Dodgy

But I would see the score as

Mutating Virus: 1
Ancient Book: 0

I mean, if God created the entire world and everything in it, why would anything ever need to adapt?

-Rowan Atkinson
13-10-2014, 10:01 AM
(13-10-2014 09:47 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 09:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  Which could only come from an Ultimate Being™. Yes

Yeah...she did come back with the "God created organisms to adapt. Especially viruses!" response. Dodgy

But I would see the score as

Mutating Virus: 1
Ancient Book: 0

I mean, if God created the entire world and everything in it, why would anything ever need to adapt?

Free will? Yeah, that's it - viruses have free will. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post