Is Evolution Observable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2017, 02:13 PM
RE: Is Evolution Observable?
Arguing if Evolution is true in 2017 is like arguing if the Earth is flat. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Perhaps of interest:

Macroevolution: Examples and Evidence

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
26-04-2017, 02:16 PM
(26-04-2017 12:27 PM)gkamps Wrote:  Hello, I joined this site after a religious person confronted me in a debate asking for observable evidence of evolution, if I wasn't able to provide one his position was basically that it proved that evolution was false. I say, the theory says it's basically not observable, so it's unfair (maybe a even a logical fallacy?) to use that against it. My response was below. All comments are welcome!

Darwinian evolution is by definition a slow and gradual process by which a species adapts to its surroundings through genetic variation and environment pressures over successive generations. Quoting Darwin: "…Natural selection acts only by taking advantage of slight successive variations; she can never take a great and sudden leap, but must advance by short and sure, though slow steps." So, the theory itself basically says its not observable to a human in its lifetime, so it's unfair to use that argument against it. Whether or not its 'observable' shouldn't be the basis on which it is judged as true or false, as probable or improbable. The theory can explain so much about our observations of nature. Sure it's technically not an objective fact, hence why it's called a theory, but it's more probable than all other explanations. Just like you can't directly 'observe' an electron, scientific theories can predict properties/behaviours of electrons and use that to explain observations of electricity in nature or in a lab. So again, whether or not something is directly observable or not shouldn't be the basis on which it is judged as true or false.

I'd just play his game: ask for observable evidence of his god, something he can provide that can have no natural explanation and MUST be proof of god.

I mean there's no point in talking to this person because they ask for evidence, it's supplied, and they move the goalposts. Look up Aron-Ra's stuff on YT, he goes into detail on how dishonest creationists are in any kind of debate like this.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
26-04-2017, 02:17 PM
(26-04-2017 02:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Arguing if Evolution is true in 2017 is like arguing if the Earth is flat. Weeping

And Kyrie Irving says "And your point is....?"
28-04-2017, 09:05 AM
A biochemist understands some really complicated chemical reactions that happen in nature.

A creationist makes chocolate milk and sees it as a miracle of god.

These are the levels of intellect we are dealing with.
They are not compatible.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
28-04-2017, 10:28 AM
(28-04-2017 09:05 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  These are the levels of intellect we are dealing with.

So it depends on who's doing the observing.
28-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Yes. Here's one that shows radical changes in just 8 generations:
Russian Silver Fox Experiment
[+] 1 user Likes Rockblossom's post
28-04-2017, 12:13 PM
(28-04-2017 09:05 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  A biochemist understands some really complicated chemical reactions that happen in nature.

A creationist makes chocolate milk and sees it as a miracle of god.

These are the levels of intellect we are dealing with.
They are not compatible.

Yeah, when your ceiling is "God did it", then maybe you should stick to simple things like how to make ice.
28-04-2017, 12:35 PM
This is an interesting National Geographic article...

How Humans Are Shaping Our Own Evolution.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
28-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Someone may have posted this already.
I didn't go through every post to check, but this is an example of evolution right before your eyes.

You know those anti-bacterial soaps that say they kill 99.9% of germs. Well that .1% that didn't die was because they were resistant to the chemicals that killed all the other bacteria around them.

That .1% survived and thrived until something else, a new cocktail of medicines are introduced that will kill off another 99.9%.

Now the .1% that survive are even more resistant.
Now you have a superbug.

This is one of the reasons why it's recommended​ to not use anti-bacterial soaps anymore.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post