Is Evolution a Belief? (Clearly Not)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Is Evolution a Belief? (Clearly Not)
A link to share with you regarding the misconception of the evolutionary theory. http://noneedforreligion.weebly.com/1/po...elief.html - (NNFR - No Need For Religion)

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression.
-- Thomas Paine,
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2014, 07:20 PM
RE: Is Evolution a Belief? (Clearly Not)
Great read and thank you for the link. I see your pretty new here so welcome! Though most accept evolution as theory rather than belief, even Christians though they tend not to grasp the definition of a scientific theory and think of it as a regular theory though it is mostly accepted as a fact or called by scientists a "fact and theory" because it's not something we think happens, it's something we know happens because we have seen it happen and have evidence it happens, but there are those loonies who think we only believe in evolution and ignore any evidence we provide.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
15-05-2014, 06:59 AM
Thank you for checking it out. Yes, you are right. That is the one of the points that is being made in this blog post.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression.
-- Thomas Paine,
15-05-2014, 07:05 AM
Without reading the linked stuff, I am going to say it depends on which aspect of evolution you are talking about.

We know evolution is fact. It has been observed in nature and in the lab. Small changes affect a population over some number of generations.

Can evolution be responsible for the diversity of life on the planet? It could be.
We believe that it is based on the best evidence we have and the best science we have.

Belief is not a problem unless you believe without evidence aka as faith.
Faith is the problem.

On the other hand if the question was 'Is evolution a faith?' Then no.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
15-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Having read the linked stuff, I stand by the comments.

I don't agree with the 'especially without proof' part.
Belief can exist with or without evidence.
Your belief can be right based on bad evidence.
Your belief can be wrong on good evidence.
15-05-2014, 08:57 AM
What's the latest "word" on "irreducible complexity" or "IR"??

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
15-05-2014, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 10:26 AM by Chas.)
(15-05-2014 08:57 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  What's the latest "word" on "irreducible complexity" or "IR"??

It has not been found to exist in nature.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2014, 09:56 AM
(14-05-2014 07:20 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Great read and thank you for the link. I see your pretty new here so welcome! Though most accept evolution as theory rather than belief, even Christians though they tend not to grasp the definition of a scientific theory and think of it as a regular theory though it is mostly accepted as a fact or called by scientists a "fact and theory" because it's not something we think happens, it's something we know happens because we have seen it happen and have evidence it happens, but there are those loonies who think we only believe in evolution and ignore any evidence we provide.

No, it think they just are confusing, "theory," with, "hypothesis."
Also, now anytime someone says "theory" in my house I make them say "hypothesis."

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
15-05-2014, 11:00 AM
(15-05-2014 09:56 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(14-05-2014 07:20 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Great read and thank you for the link. I see your pretty new here so welcome! Though most accept evolution as theory rather than belief, even Christians though they tend not to grasp the definition of a scientific theory and think of it as a regular theory though it is mostly accepted as a fact or called by scientists a "fact and theory" because it's not something we think happens, it's something we know happens because we have seen it happen and have evidence it happens, but there are those loonies who think we only believe in evolution and ignore any evidence we provide.

No, it think they just are confusing, "theory," with, "hypothesis."
Also, now anytime someone says "theory" in my house I make them say "hypothesis."

Eh, nah, I hear the words "It's just a theory" a lot and also hear it being compared to bigfoot or the loch ness monster. A hypothesis comes after a theory, you have the theory, then you come up with a hypotesis to use to help experiment on your theory to see if it's correct or not. They tend to confuse Scientific Theories such as Evolution, that are proven to be true to regular theories such as Bigfoot, which are just legends and myths.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
15-05-2014, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 11:08 AM by Alex_Leonardo.)
(15-05-2014 11:00 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 09:56 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  No, it think they just are confusing, "theory," with, "hypothesis."

Eh, nah, I hear the words "It's just a theory" a lot and also hear it being compared to bigfoot or the loch ness monster. A hypothesis comes after a theory, you have the theory, then you come up with a hypotesis to use to help experiment on your theory to see if it's correct or not.
OOps. I meant something else.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]