Is Evolution a Belief? (Clearly Not)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2014, 11:14 AM
RE: Is Evolution a Belief? (Clearly Not)
(15-05-2014 11:04 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 11:00 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Eh, nah, I hear the words "It's just a theory" a lot and also hear it being compared to bigfoot or the loch ness monster. A hypothesis comes after a theory, you have the theory, then you come up with a hypotesis to use to help experiment on your theory to see if it's correct or not.
OOps. I meant something else.

Lol no worries

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2014, 11:47 PM
I notice that people are trying to make up their own definitions, or choosing to use which definitions they want, or actually ignoring the different definitions of a term.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression.
-- Thomas Paine,
19-05-2014, 12:54 PM
(15-05-2014 11:47 PM)Forthright Atheist Wrote:  I notice that people are trying to make up their own definitions, or choosing to use which definitions they want, or actually ignoring the different definitions of a term.

It is a ridiculous, albeit inevitable, consequence of people trying to combat science rather than adapt to it. If they cannot change the scientific results, and it's too much a bother to change reality, they simply change the words the scientists use to mean what they want them to mean instead.

That way, they can pretend that they were right all along.
[+] 1 user Likes Elcarch's post
19-05-2014, 05:30 PM
(14-05-2014 07:27 AM)Forthright Atheist Wrote:  A link to share with you regarding the misconception of the evolutionary theory. http://noneedforreligion.weebly.com/1/po...elief.html - (NNFR - No Need For Religion)

What's missing from that blog is that evolution is considered both as a fact and as a theory.

1) The facts are about all of the fossils that have been unearthed so far. These show by comparative anatomy that species have evolved. So when people in the scientific community say that evolution is a fact, this is what is meant.

2) The theory of evolution is an explanation of the facts in 1). That explanation has changed and grown and has improved since Darwin who had focussed his theory on natural selection. Darwin did not know about genes, which were discoverd many years after him, so with mutation, gene drift, etc.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Evolution is a fact. We spent billions of dollars mapping the human genome and we have mountains of evidence that shows that humans have and are still evolving. There are pseudo genes as well and this is smoking gun evidence as well as the fused genes between chimps and humans that shows we have a common ancestor. So somewhere down the line, both US AND CHIMPS came from the same species that then came from something else.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
22-05-2014, 11:24 AM
I can't agree that you assume there is something missing because what you have said in this post is what is said in that blog article. That evolution is a 'general fact' and a 'scientific theory'.

(19-05-2014 05:30 PM)zaybu Wrote:  
(14-05-2014 07:27 AM)Forthright Atheist Wrote:  A link to share with you regarding the misconception of the evolutionary theory. http://noneedforreligion.weebly.com/1/po...elief.html - (NNFR - No Need For Religion)

What's missing from that blog is that evolution is considered both as a fact and as a theory.

1) The facts are about all of the fossils that have been unearthed so far. These show by comparative anatomy that species have evolved. So when people in the scientific community say that evolution is a fact, this is what is meant.

2) The theory of evolution is an explanation of the facts in 1). That explanation has changed and grown and has improved since Darwin who had focussed his theory on natural selection. Darwin did not know about genes, which were discoverd many years after him, so with mutation, gene drift, etc.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression.
-- Thomas Paine,
22-05-2014, 11:47 AM
http://psychology.about.com/od/researchm...ntro_2.htm
22-05-2014, 05:02 PM
(15-05-2014 09:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 08:57 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  What's the latest "word" on "irreducible complexity" or "IR"??

It has not been found to exist in nature.

In some aspect I agree, but from another aspect I disagree.

IR has been found, and used. When we use probability to predict event 'X' in the future we are acknowledging that the inputs are IR. If they weren't, and we did know how each inputs interacted fully we wouldn't have chance. Now whether IR exists in nature outside of human intellect I don't know
22-05-2014, 06:11 PM
(22-05-2014 05:02 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 09:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  It has not been found to exist in nature.

In some aspect I agree, but from another aspect I disagree.

IR has been found, and used. When we use probability to predict event 'X' in the future we are acknowledging that the inputs are IR. If they weren't, and we did know how each inputs interacted fully we wouldn't have chance. Now whether IR exists in nature outside of human intellect I don't know

Human intellect is not irreducibly complex.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
22-05-2014, 07:14 PM
(22-05-2014 06:11 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 05:02 PM)Switz5678 Wrote:  In some aspect I agree, but from another aspect I disagree.

Human intellect is not irreducibly complex.

I never implied otherwise..