Is GOD DELUSION by Richard Dawkins worth a try?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2015, 10:26 AM
RE: Is GOD DELUSION by Richard Dawkins worth a try?
I highly recommend The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
17-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Definitely worth it. I borrowed it from the library when I was deciding once and for all whether or not I believed in god. Prior to that, I hadn't given it a lot of thought. I'd never heard of Dawkins, but had seen the book mentioned in forums. At the time, I was not at all comfortable with mocking or insulting religion. I came away thinking "Wow, that guy's an asshole, but holy shit, I think he's right!" I did more reading, watched some debates, and said "yep! I'm an atheist" I haven't reread it since, but I think you'd find it useful for talking points when debating theists.
17-10-2015, 10:53 PM
I advise Hitchens, God is not great.

Better writer and story teller than Dawkins, frankly whose prose I find to be dull and boring. Hitchens brings the story to life.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-10-2015, 11:07 PM
I didn't enjoy Dawkins' infamous book, though I think it's worth a read; many of the atheism-arguments in there are in my opinion badly-phrased, compared to others I've read. At least, that was my take when reading it.

Hitch's God is Not Great and Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark would be my starting-places. I'd put Dawkins' book The Greatest Show on Earth above The God Delusion, at least on my personal list.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
18-10-2015, 11:34 AM
I prefer Sagan's The Varieties of Scientific Experience. Far less confrontational, far less speculative, more soundly based, better explained, better written and much easier to read.
19-10-2015, 08:41 PM
I shied away at first. There was no new information in it, no arguments I hadn't heard or considered before. But his presentation is good. I really do recommend the audiobook. I have listened at least three times.

If you want new and more information I do think God is Not Great is better. But I still recommend Dawkins' book.
20-10-2015, 11:31 AM
(19-10-2015 08:41 PM)natachan Wrote:  If you want new and more information I do think God is Not Great is better. But I still recommend Dawkins' book.

I liked "God Delusion" better. I didn't particularly care for "God is not Great", even though I listened to it as read by Hitchens. This defies logic, and I have no reason for it, as I adore almost everything else involving Hitchens.
20-10-2015, 01:30 PM
The God Delusion is certainly worth your time. Remember, Dawkins is a scientist. He tends to think and write like one. He is not an entertainer.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
26-10-2015, 10:18 AM
Some parts of it I found to be really dry. I skipped at least two full chapters worth of stuff. It depends on the reader I suppose. I really enjoyed it myself. Not the greatest book I have ever read but then again, I don't really read books so that list is really short.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
01-11-2015, 12:16 AM
The God Delusion and the Thinking Atheist podcast were 2 of the main things that helped me realize I was an atheist and not agnostic. The book is excellent imo, although I was listening to the audiobook version at the time. I had many "Well that does make a lot of sense" thoughts while listening to it.