Is God a moral monster?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 09:46 AM
RE: Is God a moral monster?
(07-05-2014 08:57 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 08:03 AM)natachan Wrote:  I went to the university library and looked into the encyclopedia of religion and ethics. It's quite clear on this. A woman who is married is her husbands property. She is to submit to him. There was NO condemnation or consideration given to her will or her consent. She is property.

Yep, it's right there in the 'typical' 10 Commandments.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

Notice how the wife is listed along with the house, servants, and the rest of the chattel; she is her husband's property. There is nothing here that would lead one to thinking that the wife is anything other than property, besides reading our own modern moral norms into the story; but that's ignoring what the book actually says in favor of projecting your own biases onto it.

Why should a person be ashamed for treating a woman like property if there are no moral obligations?
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2014, 09:47 AM
(07-05-2014 08:30 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 07:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Since you are a "thinking" person, I am sure you will think a little deeper about this account and come to understand the reason why the woman would have been positively thrilled to be asked to be an Israelites wife.
And here come the rape apologies. "The woman loves it!" Fuck you!
Damn, I'm never going to make through reading the rest of this thread. Angry

You seem mad. But if there are no moral obligations why should a person feel ashamed for raping someone?
07-05-2014, 09:49 AM
All of you affirm premise two of the moral argument with your outcries against rape.

You also affirm that apart from God, there would be no moral obligations.

Therefore you all believe God exists.
07-05-2014, 09:50 AM
(07-05-2014 09:46 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 08:57 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yep, it's right there in the 'typical' 10 Commandments.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

Notice how the wife is listed along with the house, servants, and the rest of the chattel; she is her husband's property. There is nothing here that would lead one to thinking that the wife is anything other than property, besides reading our own modern moral norms into the story; but that's ignoring what the book actually says in favor of projecting your own biases onto it.

Why should a person be ashamed for treating a woman like property if there are no moral obligations?

She is not property. Facepalm

You do have a moral obligation. Shocking

No, your belief in your god doesn't change that. Hobo

Go fuck yourself you fucked in the head sadist. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-05-2014, 09:51 AM
(07-05-2014 09:49 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  All of you affirm premise two of the moral argument with your outcries against rape.

Fuck you, we have empathy; that's why we oppose rape you fucking cunt. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-05-2014, 09:51 AM
(07-05-2014 09:49 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  You also affirm that apart from God, there would be no moral obligations.

Bullshit and you know it too.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
07-05-2014, 09:54 AM
(07-05-2014 09:51 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 09:49 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  All of you affirm premise two of the moral argument with your outcries against rape.

Fuck you, we have empathy; that's why we oppose rape you fucking cunt. Dodgy

In your world, there is nothing that makes having empathy a moral obligation. In your world it is just something some people choose to have.
07-05-2014, 09:54 AM
(07-05-2014 09:43 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ... If there are no moral obligations why should I be ashamed?

You aren't ashamed, obviously. Your moral outlook is very clear: you haven't any.

Or you're a very clever troll.
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
07-05-2014, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 10:08 AM by TheBear.)
07-05-2014, 09:56 AM
(06-05-2014 08:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 08:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You mean like reading the bible about the society and culture of the Israelites who make the Nazis look like the Waltons?

Your apologetics are based on a flimsy desire to make the god of the bible look righteous and loving. You're fighting against the bible here. You are swimming against the stream of shit that is the very source for your "hippie version" of the bible that christians today want to pretend is what they follow. It just doesn't wash, friend.

You get to believe what you want to believe. You are not going to be able to justify it, though. You have failed on your first attempt. Give it up.

Actually I am quite confident that when properly understood and interpreted, the OT gives us the same picture of God as the NT does.

I take the OT at face value and do not attempt to gloss over what is written in it. I believe the entire bible is God's word, not just some of it. I believe it must be rightly interpreted and when it is, it gives us a more complete picture of who God is.

And look at the gymnastics you have to go through to try (and fail) to square it.

And you can stop this bullshit of "Gawd does this, wants this, etc..." until you demonstrate through convincing evidence that your fairy tale monster actuall exists. You don't get to play a fucking end run around your burden of proof here, asshole.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
Thread Closed