Is God a moral monster?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 12:40 PM
RE: Is God a moral monster?
(07-05-2014 12:38 PM)djhall Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 12:28 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Well, I am a moderator and closing threads for up to an hour to allow people to cool down is one of my responsibilities.

That being said, if either of you (or anyone else) has a serious issue with the action I took, I suggest you to contact one of the two administrators about it.

Are you suggesting that a bunch of defiant atheists should acknowledge the moral authority of the creator of the forum? Drinking Beverage

Haha, yep, ultimately the tone here is up to Seth. His place and we are all guests.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2014, 12:42 PM
(07-05-2014 12:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Vosur didn't create the forum. Neither did the admins.

It was an attempt at humor.... Sad
[+] 1 user Likes djhall's post
07-05-2014, 12:44 PM
(07-05-2014 12:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 12:38 PM)djhall Wrote:  Are you suggesting that a bunch of defiant atheists should acknowledge the moral authority of the creator of the forum? Drinking Beverage

Haha, yep, ultimately the tone here is up to Seth. His place and we are all guests.

Does that mean that Seth now demands civility? If so, if that's a new rule, why hasn't it been shared with the lesser folk around here?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-05-2014, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 12:51 PM by Reltzik.)
(07-05-2014 09:49 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  All of you affirm premise two of the moral argument with your outcries against rape.

You also affirm that apart from God, there would be no moral obligations.

Therefore you all believe God exists.

Is this what you're scrambling to now?

Your argument is missing a key element. For your argument to be anything other than a flat, utter non-sequitur, you need to show that the existence of God (not just any god, but your particular god) is a prerequisite to moral obligations.

And yeah, this time the onus is definitely on you. Otherwise, the logic of your argument does not flow and you've handed us nothing but nonsense. In for a penny...
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
07-05-2014, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 12:53 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(07-05-2014 12:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 12:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  Haha, yep, ultimately the tone here is up to Seth. His place and we are all guests.

Does that mean that Seth now demands civility? If so, if that's a new rule, why hasn't it been shared with the lesser folk around here?

It seems that Vosur thinks it's his fucking purview to make up and enforce new "civility rules" as he goes along.

[Image: barrett2.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-05-2014, 12:47 PM
(07-05-2014 12:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 12:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  Haha, yep, ultimately the tone here is up to Seth. His place and we are all guests.

I don't know and I didn't close the thread. I was just commenting that all the very red very big print hurt my eyes... and then commenting on the creator comment...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-05-2014, 12:49 PM

Well, Vosur, you managed to REDIRECT the hostility, at least....

(Which, given the context, is quite impressive.)
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
07-05-2014, 12:50 PM
(07-05-2014 12:46 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 09:49 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  All of you affirm premise two of the moral argument with your outcries against rape.

Is this what you're scrambling to now?

Your argument is missing a key element. For your argument to be anything other than a flat, utter non-sequitur, you meed to show that the existence of God (not just any god, but your particular god) is a prerequisite to moral obligations.

....and GOOD LUCK WITH THAT, now that you have outright acknowledged what a monster your mythical sky fairy really is.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Moral obligations are a human construct, as I mentioned before. Morals are based on empathy (the survival of the species instinct) and enforced by the law.

If you want to know what happens when religious law is left to enforce morals - see Muslim countries, where gods commands are still taken literally and people are being stoned to death for all kinds of reasons.

07-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi taqiyyamockinbird , good to see you around.
Thread Closed