Is God a moral monster?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 03:08 PM
RE: Is God a moral monster?
(07-05-2014 03:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  What makes a person obligated to be empathetic?

You are not obligated, it's innate.

People who are born without it are called psychopaths.

That's not exactly true.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-05-2014, 03:09 PM
(07-05-2014 03:07 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yeah, but he is not a cunt, he is a prick.

I assume you're American Dom? Prick, over here is a really mild swear word! Big Grin

I am female. I think a vagina is a nice, warm place. Using it as a cuss word doesn't make sense to me.

P.S. Besides, applying it to a male makes even less sense.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-05-2014, 03:11 PM
(07-05-2014 02:58 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  ...
unabashed
Monster_Riffs

Bravo, sir, bravo.

That's exactly the standard of respectful criticism that we truly British members of the forum should emulate.

It was eloquent, succinct and loaded with unabashed irony.

We can leave the bitch-spamming to the lesser mortals.

Bowing

Now, get back to normal or I'll ban your arse!

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
07-05-2014, 03:13 PM
(07-05-2014 03:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  I am female. I think a vagina is a nice, warm place. Using it as a cuss word doesn't make sense to me.

The nice, warm version of a vagina is known as pussy. Just sayin'... Drinking Beverage

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
07-05-2014, 03:13 PM
(07-05-2014 03:05 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  

When there are 17 pages of mostly insults thrown your way its hard to present the better side of yourself or your argument. I don't think jeremy is a bad guy. He is trying to justify the bible, which is hard, and make you bend yourself in uncomfortable ways in order to do it.

I appreciate that people have the freedom to say almost anything they want. It doesn't always make for the most fair and enlightening discussions though.

Also, I wouldn't contend that the point of this forum is to help theist come to athiesm, but I would point out that this would be practical impossible for that to happen here given the climate of debate in these forums. This is not a welcoming place for people with different ideas than the majority.

... or when they pitch 'alternative lifestyles', like veganism, get their argument pulled apart and flat out don't answer well constructed rebuttals? Drinking Beverage

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
07-05-2014, 03:15 PM
(07-05-2014 03:11 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 02:58 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  ...
unabashed
Monster_Riffs

Bravo, sir, bravo.

That's exactly the standard of respectful criticism that we truly British members of the forum should emulate.

It was eloquent, succinct and loaded with unabashed irony.

We can leave the bitch-spamming to the lesser mortals.

Bowing

Now, get back to normal or I'll ban your arse!

Dodgy

Sorry boss Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
07-05-2014, 03:17 PM
(07-05-2014 03:13 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:05 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  When there are 17 pages of mostly insults thrown your way its hard to present the better side of yourself or your argument. I don't think jeremy is a bad guy. He is trying to justify the bible, which is hard, and make you bend yourself in uncomfortable ways in order to do it.

I appreciate that people have the freedom to say almost anything they want. It doesn't always make for the most fair and enlightening discussions though.

Also, I wouldn't contend that the point of this forum is to help theist come to athiesm, but I would point out that this would be practical impossible for that to happen here given the climate of debate in these forums. This is not a welcoming place for people with different ideas than the majority.

... or when they pitch 'alternative lifestyles', like veganism, get their argument pulled apart and flat out don't answer well constructed rebuttals? Drinking Beverage

In my experience it's mostly just those spouting vapid, judgmental assertions we're not too kind to.

But it's a favourite tactic of those who can't address substance to whinge about tone instead. So there's that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
07-05-2014, 03:20 PM
if empathy is something people either are born with or not born with, then how can you assign "blame" to someone for not using something they do not have?

that would be like punishing and blaming a blind man for not being able to see.
07-05-2014, 03:21 PM

When there are 17 pages of mostly insults thrown your way its hard to present the better side of yourself or your argument. I don't think jeremy is a bad guy. He is trying to justify the bible, which is hard, and make you bend yourself in uncomfortable ways in order to do it.

News flash: This is an atheist forum. People who come here to argue that we're wrong or misguided are dealt with. We abhor intellectual dishonesty no matter who spouts it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-05-2014, 03:23 PM

I have to agree with you. We are not in the business to convert people though, and theists come here to either preach or debate.

In this case, he hit what is obviously a trigger with some - rape is a very ugly word for those who have been through it.

Defending rape wouldn't fly here - no matter who did so.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Thread Closed