Is God a moral monster?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 03:24 PM
RE: Is God a moral monster?
(07-05-2014 03:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:07 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I assume you're American Dom? Prick, over here is a really mild swear word! Big Grin

I am female. I think a vagina is a nice, warm place. Using it as a cuss word doesn't make sense to me.

P.S. Besides, applying it to a male makes even less sense.

Vaginas are wonderful! Cunts are not! Laugh out load

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2014, 03:26 PM
(07-05-2014 03:20 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  if empathy is something people either are born with or not born with, then how can you assign "blame" to someone for not using something they do not have?

that would be like punishing and blaming a blind man for not being able to see.

I don't actually. I am not much for punishment. I am for safety though, and people who hurt other people should be taken care of so they cannot do it anymore.

But I am not one to blame people. The blaming game is a dangerous one.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-05-2014, 03:28 PM
(07-05-2014 03:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:20 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  if empathy is something people either are born with or not born with, then how can you assign "blame" to someone for not using something they do not have?

I don't actually. I am not much for punishment. I am for safety though, and people who hurt other people should be taken care of so they cannot do it anymore.

No one was assigning blame.

That's just another bullshit strawman straight from the master craftsman's hands.

... this is my signature!
07-05-2014, 03:28 PM
(07-05-2014 03:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  

I can accept that.

I am eager to hear what others have to say.
07-05-2014, 03:29 PM
(07-05-2014 03:28 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't actually. I am not much for punishment. I am for safety though, and people who hurt other people should be taken care of so they cannot do it anymore.

No one was assigning blame.

That's just another bullshit strawman straight from the master craftsman's hands.

So I have said nothing, done nothing, or believe nothing that is blameworthy?

Amazing..... Cool
07-05-2014, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 03:38 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(07-05-2014 03:05 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yeah, but he is not a cunt, he is a prick.

When there are 17 pages of mostly insults thrown your way its hard to present the better side of yourself or your argument. I don't think jeremy is a bad guy. He is trying to justify the bible, which is hard, and make you bend yourself in uncomfortable ways in order to do it.

Yeah. Just like that fucking idiot vegan who was trying to justify his batshit-crazy vegan religion and push it on everyone else here and got his stupid fucking head handed to him. Hobo

Yes, JEW is a bad fucking guy. FUCK him.

Quote: This is not a welcoming place for people with different ideas than the majority.

Then go the fuck away.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-05-2014, 03:30 PM
(07-05-2014 03:29 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:28 PM)cjlr Wrote:  No one was assigning blame.

So I have said nothing, done nothing, or believe nothing that is blameworthy?

Amazing..... Cool

Are you even trying?

Like, do you understand how actual dialogue and actual honesty work?

Are you capable of them?

... this is my signature!
07-05-2014, 03:32 PM
(07-05-2014 03:05 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yeah, but he is not a cunt, he is a prick.

When there are 17 pages of mostly insults thrown your way its hard to present the better side of yourself or your argument. I don't think jeremy is a bad guy. He is trying to justify the bible, which is hard, and make you bend yourself in uncomfortable ways in order to do it.

I appreciate that people have the freedom to say almost anything they want. It doesn't always make for the most fair and enlightening discussions though.

Also, I wouldn't contend that the point of this forum is to help theist come to athiesm, but I would point out that this would be practical impossible for that to happen here given the climate of debate in these forums. This is not a welcoming place for people with different ideas than the majority.

Well fucking said.

Since I joined, I have noticed this struggle between the two main values of the forum:
1. Free speech
2. Community

And it ain't going away anytime soon.

To make it even more interesting... there are two extremes of the 'community' value:
a) Inclusive community - as you say, to help theists come to atheism
b) Exclusive community - a kinda anti-viral response.

The balance shifts all the time (or even at the same time in different threads) and there is no objective right or wrong because there are no specific governance goals that are being aimed for and each member has a different opinion on what they think the forum should be.

I'm a new moderator and what I have seen so far is a forum team trying (with a light a touch as possible) to keep that balance balanced to avoid the risk of capsizing / imploding / choose you own metaphor.

In the past, a shift towards the free-speech value has had a financial cost and being too slow to react to a deliberately disruptive member has lost us some valued members (that's when rule 5 came into being) and sometimes people get nervous that this might happen again... particularly when a sensitive subject is being discussed.

It will settle down (it always does) and then people will start complaining that the forum has become boring.

Shy

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
07-05-2014, 03:33 PM
(07-05-2014 02:49 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Are you angry at me for breaking or violating some code of conduct or law of decency, that obligates me to be empathetic that you think I should be aware of and held accountable to?

You already got called on that bluff, asshole. You blew yourself right out of the water. It's just fucking amazing that you are too fucking stupid to slink out of here with your tail between your legs and never return.

[Image: self-knockout.gif]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
07-05-2014, 03:50 PM
(07-05-2014 03:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:05 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  When there are 17 pages of mostly insults thrown your way its hard to present the better side of yourself or your argument. I don't think jeremy is a bad guy. He is trying to justify the bible, which is hard, and make you bend yourself in uncomfortable ways in order to do it.

I appreciate that people have the freedom to say almost anything they want. It doesn't always make for the most fair and enlightening discussions though.

Also, I wouldn't contend that the point of this forum is to help theist come to athiesm, but I would point out that this would be practical impossible for that to happen here given the climate of debate in these forums. This is not a welcoming place for people with different ideas than the majority.

Well fucking said.

Since I joined, I have noticed this struggle between the two main values of the forum:
1. Free speech
2. Community

And it ain't going away anytime soon.

To make it even more interesting... there are two extremes of the 'community' value:
a) Inclusive community - as you say, to help theists come to atheism
b) Exclusive community - a kinda anti-viral response.

The balance shifts all the time (or even at the same time in different threads) and there is no objective right or wrong because there are no specific governance goals that are being aimed for and each member has a different opinion on what they think the forum should be.

I'm a new moderator and what I have seen so far is a forum team trying (with a light a touch as possible) to keep that balance balanced to avoid the risk of capsizing / imploding / choose you own metaphor.

In the past, a shift towards the free-speech value has had a financial cost and being too slow to react to a deliberately disruptive member has lost us some valued members (that's when rule 5 came into being) and sometimes people get nervous that this might happen again... particularly when a sensitive subject is being discussed.

It will settle down (it always does) and then people will start complaining that the forum has become boring.

Shy

I'm not new anymore, nor am I a longterm member. I can see what you mean though. This forum would be tough to admin on, no doubt. ... Michael, I actually think you're ok. I don't agree with veganism but I can't see you blowing up a truck full of turnips to make your point Smile

Jeremy is not ok. Essentially his argument boils down to the binary choice, either you accept God and have morals because God or you love rapists (except they aren't rapists if it's in the Bible because god).

There are always going to be things we don't agree on, it took me a while to feel like part of the community. I think if people have a thick enough skin and can take a bit of flak in good humour, you are welcomed. That was my experience but I suppose it's easy for me to say as an atheist.

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
Thread Closed