Is God a moral monster?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 07:32 PM
RE: Is God a moral monster?
He kills the woman's parents, she is allowed to grieve for one month, and after that she will love to let the killer of her parents having sex with her anytime he pleases? And if he doesn't like her anymore he is to let her go - right into the arms of other men, she has no place to go, her home is gone, her parents and everyone dead... and THAT is being kind?

If you think that is nice, you are a savage, just like your god who is responsible for her parents being murdered in the first place.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
06-05-2014, 07:34 PM
(06-05-2014 07:30 PM)Charis Wrote:  Laugh out load And I'm sure nooooobody who has posted thus far is under the impression that the Bible contains commands to rape people. Thumbsup

If they are then they can provide a passage and their interpretation for me to interact with. I will be happy to. Drinking Beverage
06-05-2014, 07:37 PM
(06-05-2014 07:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  "God condones rape."

(06-05-2014 07:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Only after a month of this, and only after the man had determined to make the woman his wife would it be allowed for him to have sexual intercourse with her and even then the passage is clear. It says he MAY do this, not that he MUST. There is no command here to have sex with the woman at all.

So that's "condone" pretty explicitly spelled out.

(06-05-2014 07:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  So you can see when looking at this passage, far from it saying what you all claim it says, it actually serves only to prove my point. That God is compassionate and has concern for people, especially women at a time in history when women were seen as little more than property by the majority of the cultures in existence.

I dunno, something about a timeless and objective lawgiver would lead me to expect commands which satisfied those requirements. Do you know what objective means? It means not contingent on time and place.

Whataboutism - especially made up whataboutism, seeing how contemporaneous e.g. Egyptians, Persians, Celts, treated women - is a pretty special little bit of cognitively dissonant post-hoc justification.

Yeah. "It's not wrong if she deserved it". Gee, what a fascinating new take on things. Shine on, you repulsive diamond.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
06-05-2014, 07:37 PM
(06-05-2014 07:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  He kills the woman's parents, she is allowed to grieve for one month, and after that she will love to let the killer of her parents having sex with her anytime he pleases? And if he doesn't like her anymore he is to let her go - right into the arms of other men, she has no place to go, her home is gone, her parents and everyone dead... and THAT is being kind?

If you think that is nice, you are a savage, just like your god who is responsible for her parents being murdered in the first place.

Well Dom that is quite interesting.

In your mind these woman were innocent and lived in a town full of innocent people who were model citizens.

I suggest you brush up on the history of these societies and cultures that were marked out for destruction by God. As I stated, they would make the Nazis look like The Waltons.
06-05-2014, 07:39 PM
(06-05-2014 07:37 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Well Dom that is quite interesting.

In your mind these woman were innocent and lived in a town full of innocent people who were model citizens.

I suggest you brush up on the history of these societies and cultures that were marked out for destruction by God. As I stated, they would make the Nazis look like The Waltons.

"It's not wrong if they deserve it".

Facepalm

Come the fuck on. That's all you've got?

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
06-05-2014, 07:39 PM
(06-05-2014 07:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 07:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  "God condones rape."

(06-05-2014 07:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Only after a month of this, and only after the man had determined to make the woman his wife would it be allowed for him to have sexual intercourse with her and even then the passage is clear. It says he MAY do this, not that he MUST. There is no command here to have sex with the woman at all.

So that's "condone" pretty explicitly spelled out.

(06-05-2014 07:11 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  So you can see when looking at this passage, far from it saying what you all claim it says, it actually serves only to prove my point. That God is compassionate and has concern for people, especially women at a time in history when women were seen as little more than property by the majority of the cultures in existence.

I dunno, something about a timeless and objective lawgiver would lead me to expect commands which satisfied those requirements. Do you know what objective means? It means not contingent on time and place.

Whataboutism - especially made up whataboutism, seeing how contemporaneous e.g. Egyptians, Persians, Celts, treated women - is a pretty special little bit of cognitively dissonant post-hoc justification.

Yeah. "It's not wrong if she deserved it". Gee, what a fascinating new take on things. Shine on, you repulsive diamond.

God condones a man marrying a woman if a man decides to marry her. Yes He does condone this.
06-05-2014, 07:41 PM
(06-05-2014 07:39 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  God condones a man marrying a woman if a man decides to marry her. Yes He does condone this.

Indeed. The woman has no choice.

Once "married" (an interesting use of the word), the man has the explicit right to her body.

Funny thing, that. Today we call it rape.

[+] 9 users Like cjlr's post
06-05-2014, 07:41 PM
(06-05-2014 07:37 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 07:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  He kills the woman's parents, she is allowed to grieve for one month, and after that she will love to let the killer of her parents having sex with her anytime he pleases? And if he doesn't like her anymore he is to let her go - right into the arms of other men, she has no place to go, her home is gone, her parents and everyone dead... and THAT is being kind?

Well Dom that is quite interesting.

So murdering people and raping their daughters is condoned because they are not the Waltons? It is NOT EVER ok. Christians are the ones with no morals.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
06-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Are you saying that non-consensual sex is suitable? If so, how?

If not, then please show us where it is assumed that the woman has the authority to say "No" and to have it respected. I'm not seeing where she is given the right. I am seeing where the man may have sex with her. I am not seeing where she may refuse and be obeyed.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 3 users Like Charis's post
06-05-2014, 07:43 PM
(06-05-2014 07:39 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(06-05-2014 07:37 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Well Dom that is quite interesting.

"It's not wrong if they deserve it".

Facepalm

Come the fuck on. That's all you've got?

Not all, no.

But nothing more is needed. For you would think me deserving of punishment if I took your child and offered it as a sacrifice on a red hot spike in the name of little golden statue i have sitting on my mantle.

I find people like you amusing. You seem to want me to believe your sensibilities are offended when you hear of God punishing people for evil they commit, but you will not hesitate in declaring that the "religious" should be punished for the supposed crimes and evil they have committed against unbelievers. Laughat
Thread Closed