Is God a moral monster?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 06:03 PM
RE: Is God a moral monster?
(07-05-2014 05:41 PM)Leo Wrote:  This walker dude have serious issues. The dude is shitting all the atheist forums he can find. And he isn't even funny. Some trolls post some hilarious shit but this dude seems to believe all the shit he writes.NoNo

Yeah there are some serious issues there. Think I recall reading a description of his of some of his mental health issues over at atheistforums.org. Now there's something I can empathize with. Girly can relate. That's what empathy is.

Walker dude should start a thread in the Personal Issues and Support forum where we can get practical about sharing and discussing our various symptoms and treatments and abandon these metaphysical masturbations.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-05-2014, 06:10 PM
(07-05-2014 06:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 05:41 PM)Leo Wrote:  This walker dude have serious issues. The dude is shitting all the atheist forums he can find. And he isn't even funny. Some trolls post some hilarious shit but this dude seems to believe all the shit he writes.NoNo

Yeah there are some serious issues there. Think I recall reading a description of his of some of his mental health issues over at atheistforums.org. Now there's something I can empathize with. Girly can relate. That's what empathy is.

Walker dude should start a thread in the Personal Issues and Support forum where we can get practical about sharing and discussing our various symptoms and treatments and abandon these metaphysical masturbations.

A rape apologist who has used duct tape as his profile picture...this is a bit beyond Personal Issues and Support.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-05-2014, 06:40 PM
(07-05-2014 03:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:05 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  When there are 17 pages of mostly insults thrown your way its hard to present the better side of yourself or your argument. I don't think jeremy is a bad guy. He is trying to justify the bible, which is hard, and make you bend yourself in uncomfortable ways in order to do it.

I appreciate that people have the freedom to say almost anything they want. It doesn't always make for the most fair and enlightening discussions though.

Also, I wouldn't contend that the point of this forum is to help theist come to athiesm, but I would point out that this would be practical impossible for that to happen here given the climate of debate in these forums. This is not a welcoming place for people with different ideas than the majority.

Well fucking said.

Since I joined, I have noticed this struggle between the two main values of the forum:
1. Free speech
2. Community

And it ain't going away anytime soon.

Seth has stated the purpose of the forum, and community trumps free speech.

Quote:To make it even more interesting... there are two extremes of the 'community' value:
a) Inclusive community - as you say, to help theists come to atheism
b) Exclusive community - a kinda anti-viral response.

Seth has stated the purpose of the forum, and a support community trumps those choices.

Quote:The balance shifts all the time (or even at the same time in different threads) and there is no objective right or wrong because there are no specific governance goals that are being aimed for and each member has a different opinion on what they think the forum should be.

The balance shifts because of the refusal to add a mission statement embodying Seth's wishes, resulting in confusion and vacillation.

Quote:I'm a new moderator and what I have seen so far is a forum team trying (with a light a touch as possible) to keep that balance balanced to avoid the risk of capsizing / imploding / choose you own metaphor.

In the past, a shift towards the free-speech value has had a financial cost and being too slow to react to a deliberately disruptive member has lost us some valued members (that's when rule 5 came into being) and sometimes people get nervous that this might happen again... particularly when a sensitive subject is being discussed.

It will settle down (it always does) and then people will start complaining that the forum has become boring.

Shy

Free speech is not a goal of the forum, but free expression is a means to achieve the goals.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-05-2014, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 07:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-05-2014 06:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  A rape apologist who has used duct tape as his profile picture...this is a bit beyond Personal Issues and Support.

My bad Angel, ain't been following his bile. But think Aurora's got this shit covered with her naughty chairs and waking up Hamata K and whatnot.

#sigh
07-05-2014, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 07:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-05-2014 06:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  Free speech is not a goal of the forum, but free expression is a means to achieve the goals.

You know what, Chas? I couldn't give less of a shit about Seth's position. Dude ain't here. I don't know him. There are people's here opinion I know and value. Chas tops the list.Seth ain't here. ... fucking pussy.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Well shit...

[Image: 1d8a75a091441a6f3f5b02e3dc6c16.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
07-05-2014, 08:21 PM
(07-05-2014 04:34 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  When people tell me there are no objective moral values, no right, no wrong, no good, no bad, I find it awfully inconsistent that these same people would say that I should be nice.....

I just find the usage of the word "should" to be inconsistent with the denial of moral values and duties.

07-05-2014, 08:22 PM
You know what? I'm going to point something out. I skimmed a couple of posts so I might have missed it, but I'm pretty sure no one else has pointed it out yet. So I'm going to do it.

We've just made progress with Jeremy. Serious, serious progress. It was around page... what, 14, maybe? When he took a complete right turn and started in on the Moral Argument.

Now go back to the OP and look at what he made a right angle turn away FROM.

He has completely stopped attempting to defend the proposition that, in the Bible, God does not condone rape. And it was a sudden, total, full stop. No weaselly "okay, we're not going to agree on this, let's move on." Just total abandonment. No more attempt to defend the Bible.

This. Is. Progress.
[+] 5 users Like Reltzik's post
07-05-2014, 08:55 PM
(07-05-2014 04:34 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  When people tell me there are no objective moral values,

....all you can conceive of is the strawman of...

Quote:no right, no wrong, no good, no bad,

....which you have already been advised is not what that means. But still you run with your fucking strawman, because that is all you have.

Quote:I find it awfully inconsistent that these same people would say that I should be nice.....

....because you cannot conceive of people having morals and acting ethically without the fear of a mythical sky-fairy watching over them and waiting to punish them if they don't act right. What you are really telling us is that, without your fear of your mythical sky fairy, YOU would be out ripping and running, raping and murdering, and fuck everyone else. What you are telling us is that YOU are a sociopath. Well-done, you fucking idiot.

Quote:I just find the usage of the word "should" to be inconsistent with the denial of moral values and duties.

No one here besides YOU has "denied" morality or ethics. So stuff all your little strawmen back in your ass where they came from and light them on fire.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
07-05-2014, 08:58 PM
(07-05-2014 08:22 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  You know what? I'm going to point something out. I skimmed a couple of posts so I might have missed it, but I'm pretty sure no one else has pointed it out yet. So I'm going to do it.

We've just made progress with Jeremy. Serious, serious progress. It was around page... what, 14, maybe? When he took a complete right turn and started in on the Moral Argument.

Now go back to the OP and look at what he made a right angle turn away FROM.

He has completely stopped attempting to defend the proposition that, in the Bible, God does not condone rape. And it was a sudden, total, full stop. No weaselly "okay, we're not going to agree on this, let's move on." Just total abandonment. No more attempt to defend the Bible.

This. Is. Progress.

....but not before he completely PWNED himself with his own-goal admission that the babblegawd he was trying to defend is an immoral fucking monster.

Well done, JEW, you fucking idiot!

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Thread Closed