Is God a moral monster?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2014, 09:14 AM
RE: Is God a moral monster?
(08-05-2014 08:48 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I think ancient scriptures are at best a legacy system one can potentially derive like-for-like specification from, even for the religious. When I first read the Bible as a teenager I was surprised not to find the kind of clear guidance I had been fed in Church groups, but instead various relatively unconnected narratives. The religious seem to work very hard to build anything substantial from this content. While some normative sections do exist they are largely ignored, and those instructions that are applied to daily life as a religious person are often not found only as compromise interpretations of competing ideas within the source material.

Spoken like a true application / system developer.

Find all posts by this user
08-05-2014, 09:55 AM
(08-05-2014 08:38 AM)Impulse Wrote:  ... However, I think "cunt" is fairly strong compared with, say, "idiot" or "moron", so it should only be used when the label fits.

In my estimation, idiot and moron seem to be subsets of ignorance - which can be modified simply by learning. Making fun of someone trying to learn is particularly offensive to me... so, calling someone an idiot or moron is offensive.

I have often been shocked at the anger unleashed at the random theist being referred to as an idiot or a moron. Perhaps the angry one was once in that very position of ignorance...? The reliability of compassion is questionable. I try to stay away from all of that Lord-of-the-Flies shit.

However, someone trying to make a point with deliberate, willful and perpetual ignorance... well then, there is your cunt.

(08-05-2014 12:38 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 12:33 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  ... You Cunt Drinking Beverage

I second the motion.

Cunt.
Motion carried. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 7 users Like kim's post
08-05-2014, 10:39 AM
(08-05-2014 09:55 AM)kim Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 08:38 AM)Impulse Wrote:  ... However, I think "cunt" is fairly strong compared with, say, "idiot" or "moron", so it should only be used when the label fits.

In my estimation, idiot and moron seem to be subsets of ignorance - which can be modified simply by learning. Making fun of someone trying to learn is particularly offensive to me... so, calling someone an idiot or moron is offensive.

I have often been shocked at the anger unleashed at the random theist being referred to as an idiot or a moron. Perhaps the angry one was once in that very position of ignorance...? The reliability of compassion is questionable. I try to stay away from all of that Lord-of-the-Flies shit.

However, someone trying to make a point with deliberate, willful and perpetual ignorance... well then, there is your cunt.
What you quoted was part of a chain of replies in the middle of which was my post here. So I certainly agree about being polite with anyone who is also being polite even if their education on a subject is lacking and they are trying to learn. I had already stated that only the jerks should meet with less respect so that was a given when I posted what you quoted, but I realize that was a few pages back. I have made posts in various threads along that line of thinking because I think it is rude and counterproductive to insult people solely for having a different or even erroneous point of view.

On a side note, I don't agree though that "idiot" and "moron" are necessarily subsets of ignorance in common language usage. Their literal definitions are subsets, but their common usage often means something more like "incapable of learning" which is intended more as an insult than as a literal adjective describing their educational level.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
08-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Yavheh is the biggest asshole and a monster according to the bible texts . Yavheh is a war deity after all.
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post
08-05-2014, 11:25 AM
(08-05-2014 10:39 AM)Impulse Wrote:  On a side note, I don't agree though that "idiot" and "moron" are necessarily subsets of ignorance in common language usage. Their literal definitions are subsets, but their common usage often means something more like "incapable of learning" which is intended more as an insult than as a literal adjective describing their educational level.

Ah well, I should have noted that I agree with your original post and simply used your quote as a springboard for my personal view of the use of "idiot" and "moron". Thumbsup

I think we do agree they are insults but personally, I don't buy into insulting someone because they are "incapable of learning". I can't really judge someone's ability to learn (one may indeed be mentally incapable)... but I can clearly observe one's refusal to learn.

This is why, if I am to sling an insult directly at someone, it hope would not include the words moron or stupid or idiot. I don't want to insult one's learning capability or lack thereof... to me, that sort of insult would be akin to deliberately misunderstanding one's struggle. To me, this deliberate misunderstanding is dishonest and offensive.

Similarly, I can insult one's deliberate refusal to learn. That would be a clear cut observation of one's dishonesty and so the insult can be just as clear cut... hence; cunt. Shy

Just a personal insult preference... nothing to get hung about. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
08-05-2014, 11:47 AM
(08-05-2014 11:25 AM)kim Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 10:39 AM)Impulse Wrote:  On a side note, I don't agree though that "idiot" and "moron" are necessarily subsets of ignorance in common language usage. Their literal definitions are subsets, but their common usage often means something more like "incapable of learning" which is intended more as an insult than as a literal adjective describing their educational level.

Ah well, I should have noted that I agree with your original post and simply used your quote as a springboard for my personal view of the use of "idiot" and "moron". Thumbsup

I think we do agree they are insults but personally, I don't buy into insulting someone because they are "incapable of learning". I can't really judge someone's ability to learn (one may indeed be mentally incapable)... but I can clearly observe one's refusal to learn.

This is why, if I am to sling an insult directly at someone, it hope would not include the words moron or stupid or idiot. I don't want to insult one's learning capability or lack thereof... to me, that sort of insult would be akin to deliberately misunderstanding one's struggle. To me, this deliberate misunderstanding is dishonest and offensive.

Similarly, I can insult one's deliberate refusal to learn. That would be a clear cut observation of one's dishonesty and so the insult can be just as clear cut... hence; cunt. Shy

Just a personal insult preference... nothing to get hung about. Drinking Beverage
No worries and I generally agree with you. I tend to avoid name-calling most of the time myself regardless of the specific word(s) chosen unless I think someone has really earned it. But by "incapable of learning" I wasn't referring to literally (which I stated, but perhaps not very clearly). It's more like calling someone "stupid" not because they actually are, but because they are behaving badly.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
08-05-2014, 01:30 PM
(08-05-2014 11:47 AM)Impulse Wrote:  No worries and I generally agree with you. I tend to avoid name-calling most of the time myself regardless of the specific word(s) chosen unless I think someone has really earned it. But by "incapable of learning" I wasn't referring to literally (which I stated, but perhaps not very clearly). It's more like calling someone "stupid" not because they actually are, but because they are behaving badly.

Well then, it looks as if we are all in agreement:

CUNT he is! Thumbsup

[+] 4 users Like kim's post
08-05-2014, 01:45 PM
(08-05-2014 01:30 PM)kim Wrote:  Well then, it looks as if we are all in agreement:

CUNT he is! Thumbsup

Damn, guys, why the hate on cunts? I rather like most of them. But likening them to Jeremy? That's just mean... No

Jesus is my Stalker: He has graced me with his unconditional love, but if I reject it and refuse to love him in return, he will make my life Hell.
08-05-2014, 01:45 PM
(08-05-2014 01:30 PM)kim Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 11:47 AM)Impulse Wrote:  No worries and I generally agree with you. I tend to avoid name-calling most of the time myself regardless of the specific word(s) chosen unless I think someone has really earned it. But by "incapable of learning" I wasn't referring to literally (which I stated, but perhaps not very clearly). It's more like calling someone "stupid" not because they actually are, but because they are behaving badly.

Well then, it looks as if we are all in agreement:

CUNT he is! Thumbsup
No arguments from me there. Smile

08-05-2014, 01:56 PM
(08-05-2014 01:45 PM)djhall Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 01:30 PM)kim Wrote:  Well then, it looks as if we are all in agreement:

CUNT he is! Thumbsup

Damn, guys, why the hate on cunts? I rather like most of them. But likening them to Jeremy? That's just mean... No

Well, if one can be a dick and/or a prick with negative connotations then, a cunt can and should be able to have it's day in the realm of proper insulting nomenclature. Angel

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
Thread Closed