Is God light or is he eternal? He can't be both. . .

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2015, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 02:25 PM by Octapulse.)
Is God light or is he eternal? He can't be both. . .
The bible posits that god is light.

1 John 1:5

Psalm 44:3

Ezekiel 1:28

Ezekiel 1:27

Ezekiel 8:2

Psalm 94:1

Psalm 50:2

Ezekiel 43:2

Hosea 6:5

Isaiah 51:4

Luke 2:9

Ezekiel 10:4

Habakkuk 3:4

Genesis 15:17

2 Samuel 22:13

Ezekiel 1:4

Matthew 17:5

Matthew 28:3

Revelation 18:1

"And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever." - Revelation 22:5

The bible especially depicts god as having physical attributes of light, not to confuse it with a symbol of goodness/morality

In Genesis 1:3, god declares "let there be light, and there was light" This was on the first day of creation.

Now it should be noted that god did not create the sun, moon and stars until Genesis 1:16 on the fourth day.

So the light spoke of that was created in verse 1:3 is not the sources of light we are familiar with, but can only be light itself (that is, the concept of light).

According to the bible, god is eternal:

"Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there he called upon the name of the LORD, the Eternal God." - Genesis 21:33

Psalm 90:1-4

Revelation 1:8

Isaiah 57:15

Deuteronomy 33:27

1 Timothy 1:17

If god has always existed, and he himself is light, how did he exist prior to creating light in Genesis 1:3?

Consider

* DISCLAIMER: This discussion is about the god of the bible alone. Alla, please leave your Mormon man-gods at the door as to not confuse the issue with that level of wonky woo. Thank you.

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Octapulse's post
09-10-2015, 02:32 PM
RE: Is God light or is he eternal? He can't be both. . .
(09-10-2015 02:19 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  If god has always existed, and he himself is light, how did he exist prior to creating light in Genesis 1:3?

I don't think when John referred to Jesus as the light of man, he was implying that he was the equivalent of an overpowered flashlight. Or when Jesus commanded his followers to be the light of the world, that he meant for them to stand by the sides of the road carrying lamps.

Nor do I think when Carl Sagan spoke of science as a candle in the dark, that he was speaking of Edison's contribution to the light bulb.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
09-10-2015, 02:36 PM
(09-10-2015 02:32 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 02:19 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  If god has always existed, and he himself is light, how did he exist prior to creating light in Genesis 1:3?

I don't think when John referred to Jesus as the light of man, he was implying that he was the equivalent of an overpowered flashlight. Or when Jesus commanded his followers to be the light of the world, that he meant for them to stand by the sides of the road carrying lamps.

Nor do I think when Carl Sagan spoke of science as a candle in the dark, that he was speaking of Edison's contribution to the light bulb.

Don't throw semantics into this when the bible specifically posits God's physical attribute as light. Example: the radiance of god that blinded Moses. Was he blinded by symbolism? No. He was physically blinded by a physical light

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
09-10-2015, 02:39 PM
I love how christians always employ the tactic of "I can't explain it, therefore it's symbolism" Facepalm

[+] 2 users Like Octapulse's post
09-10-2015, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 02:56 PM by Alla.)
OCTAPULSE:
* DISCLAIMER: This discussion is about the god of the bible alone. Alla, please leave your Mormon man-gods at the door as to not confuse the issue with that level of wonky woo. Thank you.

ALLA:
No problem, I can do this.

1)God of the Bible didn't claim that He created light. There is not a word in the Bible.
2)God of the Bible didn't say that He always existed. There is not a word in the Bible.

Genesis 1:3 "let there be light, and there was light" . So, I came into the dark room and said: "it is too dark in here, LET THERE BE LIGHT and then I turned on the switch or lighted the candle and then I saw the light and I said: "it is good". Did I create the light? Didn't other sources of light exist in other places at that time?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
09-10-2015, 02:53 PM

Well sound must have existed before light, since he spoke and said "let there be light".

Don't know what could have heard him or how sound would have been transmitted without air, but oh well.

It's all a metaphor, original sin is a metaphor, god is a metaphor, Jesus is a metaphor, it's all about turtles, that's all it's ever been about!

[Image: turtles-1-1-1.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
09-10-2015, 03:00 PM
(09-10-2015 02:53 PM)Alla Wrote:  OCTAPULSE:

ALLA:
No problem, I can do this.

1)God of the Bible didn't claim that He created light. There is not a word in the Bible.
2)God of the Bible didn't say that He always existed. There is not a word in the Bible.

Genesis 1:3 "let there be light, and there was light" . So, I came into the dark room and said: "it is too dark in here, LET THERE BE LIGHT and then I turned on the switch or lighted the candle and then I saw the light and I said: "it is good". Did I create the light? Didn't other sources of light exist in other places at that time?

Because if god is light and he is present, then there is light already and no need for him to say"let there be light"

09-10-2015, 03:01 PM
What does "Eternal God" mean according to the Bible?
I guess that first of all you have to know what "God" means according to the Bible.
So, what does "God" mean according to the Bible? may be then you will know what Eternal God means. May be when you have answers to those questions you will know why there are no words in the Bible: "God always existed"

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
09-10-2015, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 03:17 PM by Octapulse.)
(09-10-2015 03:01 PM)Alla Wrote:  What does "Eternal God" mean according to the Bible?
I guess that first of all you have to know what "God" means according to the Bible.
So, what does "God" mean according to the Bible? may be then you will know what Eternal God means. May be when you have answers to those questions you will know why there are no words in the Bible: "God always existed"

Psalm 90:2 states that god is "from everlasting to everlasting"

The hebrew word here is עוֹלָם "Olam" meaning eternal, perpetual, always . . .

If everlasting is both the starting point and end point, that means he has no beginning and no end according to the bible.

09-10-2015, 03:12 PM
(09-10-2015 03:08 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 03:01 PM)Alla Wrote:  What does "Eternal God" mean according to the Bible?

Psalm 90:2 states that god is "from everlasting to everlasting"

If everlasting is both the starting point and end point, that means he has no beginning and no end according to the bible.

If he had no beginning, that means he never existed, and of course something that never existed will never end since it never began in the first place. Consider

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post