Is Heaven like Mount Olympus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Is Heaven like Mount Olympus?
So is this Heaven like Mount Olympus of Greek religion ?

If so, then what is Hell then?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2013, 04:21 AM
RE: Is Heaven like Mount Olympus?
I thought the greek heaven were the Elysian fields.
And the greek hell was Hades.

Or did I watch too much Xena and played too much God of War?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
30-06-2013, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2013 09:42 AM by Tartarus Sauce.)
No, heaven is not like Mt. Olympus because Mt. Olympus is a real place.
In terms of mythology though, the only thing in common with heaven and the mythological Mt. Olympus is that both are the abodes of each respective mythologies' god(s). Mt. Olympus, though, did not also function as a place for mortal souls, it was purely the home of the gods.

FYI, when it comes to hell....from my understanding, the whole idea of "hell" is pretty much a rip off of Tartarus, which was the abysmal pit in Hades where the Titans were imprisoned.

@Caveman: no, Hades was the underworld where ALL souls went.

[Image: giphy.gif]
30-06-2013, 11:35 PM
The closest things to hell in Greek mythology were the Fields of Punishment and Tartarus. Elysian fields is the equivalent of heaven I believe.

Prog rock extraordinaire at your service
01-07-2013, 04:29 AM
No, because it doesn't exist.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-07-2013, 07:19 AM
I think both locations have overly self involved god beings. But one is moreso than the other.
01-07-2013, 07:24 AM
What if instead of Mount Olympus, heaven was like Mons Olympus?
That would be a nice little twist.... Tongue

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
01-07-2013, 07:39 AM
(29-06-2013 06:38 PM)Korin Wrote:  So is this Heaven like Mount Olympus of Greek religion ?

If so, then what is Hell then?

I'd say no, Mount Olympus is not at all like heaven. Firstly, Mount Olympus as the home of the gods, let alone home to anything, is actually testable and disproven. heaven is not a falsifiable concept, depending on the definition (which varies from person to person.)

As for the hell.. I don't know. I don't know if the ancient Grecians even had a concept of hell.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Well let's take a look at what the bible says about this, shall we...

After Jesus destroyes the world and kills everyone on it, except for those who suck up to him enough to have proven that they can be trusted to contine to suck up to him after he kills all their other friends and loved ones, he will rebuild earth, with no oceans on it (for some reason), make a giant city which is where everyone he saves will live. It is 1,500x1,500 square miles. That will cover an area that looks like this...

It's walls will be 1,500 square miles high. So basically a cube. It's walls will be so high they will reach out into orbit. To be clear what that means, consider that the Internationa Space Station orbits a little bellow 250 miles up and most all of our satellites orbit lower than that. The Internationa Space Station would only make it 1/6 of the way up the side of the walls of the city.

Why the walls need to be so high I don't know. Why wall it off at all? What's the need for a city? But it will come floating down from the sky and land on the new oceanless earth, and will have a base made out of gem stones, and 1,500 mile high walls made out of diamonds, with streets paved with gold and one creek running through the middle of it.

So no...not like Mt. Olympus...but this version obviously will not happen either...it's ridiculous.

01-07-2013, 10:15 AM
(01-07-2013 09:47 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Well let's take a look at what the bible says about this, shall we...

After Jesus destroyes the world and kills everyone on it, except for those who suck up to him enough to have proven that they can be trusted to contine to suck up to him after he kills all their other friends and loved ones, he will rebuild earth, with no oceans on it (for some reason), make a giant city which is where everyone he saves will live. It is 1,500x1,500 square miles. That will cover an area that looks like this...

It's walls will be 1,500 square miles high. So basically a cube. It's walls will be so high they will reach out into orbit. To be clear what that means, consider that the Internationa Space Station orbits a little bellow 250 miles up and most all of our satellites orbit lower than that. The Internationa Space Station would only make it 1/6 of the way up the side of the walls of the city.

Why the walls need to be so high I don't know. Why wall it off at all? What's the need for a city? But it will come floating down from the sky and land on the new oceanless earth, and will have a base made out of gem stones, and 1,500 mile high walls made out of diamonds, with streets paved with gold and one creek running through the middle of it.

So no...not like Mt. Olympus...but this version obviously will not happen either...it's ridiculous.

Oh yeah; we got the memo. Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]