Is, "I'll pray for you" insulting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Is, "I'll pray for you" insulting?
I've noticed this before, but never thought to bring it up. Do you, as atheists, find it insulting when a theists tells you that they will pray for you?

Now of course, there is context to consider. Obviously, when someone says they'll pray for you because you're an atheist it can feel pretty ignorant and condescending. But what about when you have a friend who is just concerned about you? Say you have an illness, and that friend really genuinely says a prayer because they want you to be better? Knowing that friend believes, and that they really believe they're prayers are meaningful, shouldn't we feel complimented? The prayer may be meaningless to us (in the context that we know it won't help), but there's meaning in that the person praying is doing something they think will help.

I dunno. Just seeing a lot of nastiness towards theists these days. There probably isn't any more than before, but I'm definitely noticing it more.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
14-12-2012, 09:26 AM
RE: Is, "I'll pray for you" insulting?
That's pretty much my own view as well.
14-12-2012, 09:31 AM
No, like you if they mean it in a nice way I could care less. I take it as I take Merry Christmas, that also doesn't offend me. They think they are doing something positive for you.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
14-12-2012, 09:43 AM
With the exception of the fact that when someone says that, they almost always just forget to do it anyways. It's just filler in a conversation when they don't know what to say. Not really insulting, mostly benign. It just depends on how they say it and what it is about. Depending on the situation, I might suggest they call me and actually speak to someone other than themselves.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
14-12-2012, 09:57 AM
(14-12-2012 09:43 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  With the exception of the fact that when someone says that, they almost always just forget to do it anyways.
How could you possibly know that?
14-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Insulting - no. Will it make me go - man, I do have some stupid friends? Most probably.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
14-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Yes. Insulting, condescending, patronizing... yada, yada, yada. Invitation to a fucking beat-down. Angry

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
14-12-2012, 10:36 AM
(14-12-2012 09:57 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 09:43 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  With the exception of the fact that when someone says that, they almost always just forget to do it anyways.
How could you possibly know that?
I used to say the same damn thing.

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
14-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Like you said, context is king. If it's done in an obviously condescending way I will take notable offense to it and go on the attack.
I'd like to say it doesn't annoy the shit out of me in other situations, but I'd be lying. It still bothers me especially when it comes from someone who knows I don't believe in that babble shit. I think because if they know I don't believe it's almost like they are telling me just to push my buttons. I'm sure they probably aren't but fuck them the stupid mother fuckers. No just kidding. I don't want to fuck them. That's gross.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
14-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Well, it's cheaper than casting a spell, less of a workout than dancing in invocation, and is a second-nature response to many. Does the actual prayer itself help/hurt me? No. If the inflection of saying "I'll pray for you" comes out more as "I doubt it will work because you haven't allowed (deity) in your life/heart" or "End of conversation with what I'm saying" or "You can't stop me" then sure, I'll feel abit vexed. Not for long. Recently I haven't heard it said like that to me.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]