Is, "I'll pray for you" insulting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2012, 12:16 PM
RE: Is, "I'll pray for you" insulting?
It isn't cold at all. It's just the truth. I actually find that realization most comforting. It directly addresses our helplessness. It directs us to drop all pretense, to find and share the only thing we have: our humanity.

We are alone but connecting to each other through a shared humanity, may be all we have for comfort on our little blue rock. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-12-2012, 12:23 PM
(15-12-2012 12:16 PM)kim Wrote:  It isn't cold at all. It's just the truth. I actually find that realization most comforting. It directly addresses our helplessness. It directs us to drop all pretense, to find and share the only thing we have: our humanity.

We are alone but connecting to each other through a shared humanity, may be all we have for comfort on our little blue rock. Shy
I don't know, so many times it just doesn't seem enough.

There are way too many people hung up on hating and way too much suffering that can't be alleviated.*

(*I might be seeing things a bit too darkly right now Confused )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
15-12-2012, 12:55 PM
As humans, we always ask questions we will either have to find the answers to or just be satisfied with the questions.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
15-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Somehow thought this was appropriate:

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
15-12-2012, 01:06 PM
When I was visiting New York, in 2008, an old African-American lady came up to me in a subway station to tell me about "the Lord Jesus Christ" and I remember saying "I'm afraid I might only disappoint you there".

She got a little offended and just said, "Well, know that Jesus still loves you."

It would have been rude to laugh, so I just smiled and she went on with her business. Did I appear like a lost soul, or a lonely person to her? It still makes me wonder to this day.
[+] 1 user Likes Thanh's post
15-12-2012, 01:27 PM
(15-12-2012 12:52 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Exactly. You KNOW exactly how Atheist 1 feels about prayer and gods and the ridiculousness of it all. The majority of these threads consist of accounts of the harassment and hostility delivered by theists, so you must be aware that there is a certain anger towards the pious and their good intentions to "save us" and to "pray to their god for us." To me, that's like if I had a friend who was extremely Republican, like "Tea Party, blame gays for hurricanes, think Glenn Beck is a visionary" Republican... and when he tells me that he finally got his job back after 3 months of unemployment, I respond: "Well thank goodness for President Obama!" My Repub friend knows of my liberalism, but still it's kind of an unnecessary low blow.

That's a self defeating point (since now this argument seems to be about what caused this topic and not the subject matter in general). The crux of your argument here is that many theists mean things in a condescending way. Atheist 1 knows me; we're friends. He knows my prayers aren't meant to belittle, and I'm not trying to "save" anyone.

You seem to be aware of this as well, so, with you knowing full well that my intent wasn't malicious (as stated by you), then what was the point of the unwarranted attack at my way of expressing my feelings of condolence towards Atheist 1? Why detract from the topic at hand just to get in a pot shot?

Moreover, this door swings both ways. With the knowledge of my theism by Atheist 1, he is well aware that I will be praying for him. It would kind of be expected... so if I said, "Sorry. Thinking about you." Sure, he would know my condolences, but I'm almost positive a non-theist would think, "Why isn't he praying for me?" I know Atheist 1 would think that.

The analogy is bunk, by the way. Prayer is expressing personal concern to God about someone. It's not attributing anything to anyone.

Quote:I don't really "know" anyone on this forum. That's just a personal choice. I never understood the point of purely online friendships. I'll share my beliefs and opinions with the members and sympathize with their hardships. But to befriend a digital entity who may be completely different in real life, or someone who may log off and never be seen again (where's Unbeliever these days?) seems kind of silly to me. Especially when I still have a handful of real life friends whenever I need to talk. People I've known since grade school. So, nothing personal. Just not my style.

That's cool. Thanks for explaining.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Wow. Talk about a slap in the face.

The "origin" of the op is completely irrelevant. Bringing up a conversation that didn't take place in public is asinine, and is rude to both the people involved in the private conversation (obviously because the conversation was private) as well as the people who are not since they are not privy to half of the secretive references you are making.

A separate conversation sparked the question in the op. why couldn't it have been left at that, since the op is a perfectly valid discussion without the background?

Again, this is a slap in the face.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
15-12-2012, 02:57 PM
(15-12-2012 02:03 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Wow. Talk about a slap in the face.

The "origin" of the op is completely irrelevant. Bringing up a conversation that didn't take place in public is asinine, and is rude to both the people involved in the private conversation (obviously because the conversation was private) as well as the people who are not since they are not privy to half of the secretive references you are making.

A separate conversation sparked the question in the op. why couldn't it have been left at that, since the op is a perfectly valid discussion without the background?

Again, this is a slap in the face.
Hug Sorry for your frustration & disappointment, Stark.

To answer the question:

I don't know that I derive any special 'comfort' from knowing that people are praying for me....but the secular version, "you're in my thoughts" has about the same effect. I know that I do find many religious people endearing in certain contexts....and so I guess in that regard I might find it sweet if they were to pray for me.

Someone wants you well & happy. I can be happy with that if I don't sense a hidden agenda.

A little kid picks a dandelion & offers it to you. Who here would reject it & tell the kid it's just an ugly, wilting weed?

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Percepticon's post
15-12-2012, 03:06 PM
(15-12-2012 02:57 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  Who here would reject it & tell the kid it's just an ugly, wilting weed?
Well I won't tell the kid he's ugly. Might feel sorry for him though... Tongue
15-12-2012, 03:13 PM
(15-12-2012 02:57 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  A little kid picks a dandelion & offers it to you. Who here would reject it & tell the kid it's just an ugly, wilting weed?
Hey, I LOVE dandelions! Few things prettier than a meadow in spring, with that different, tender green of spring, dotted with yellow dandelions. The first dandelions always put a big smile on my face. [Image: Dandelion_Hill_by_Crossie.jpg]