Is, "I'll pray for you" insulting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2012, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2012 12:01 PM by kingschosen.)
RE: Is, "I'll pray for you" insulting?
Apparently, I'm a jerkwad, condescending, patronizing jerk.

But, when I say "I'll pray for you." I really pray for someone. I mean it.

If people hate me for it, so be it. If people see malice in my intent, that's their problem... moreover, they should probably reevaluate the way they see people. Being insulted by those four words is silly.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
14-12-2012, 11:50 AM
(14-12-2012 11:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Apparently, I'm a jerkwad, condescending, patronizing jerk.

If people hate me for it, so be it. If people see malice in my intent, that's their problem... moreover, they should probably reevaluate the way they see people people. Being insulted by those four words is silly.
I'm so ashamed. Tears are streaming down my face. Total agreement with KC has paralyzed me. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
14-12-2012, 11:50 AM
(14-12-2012 11:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Apparently, I'm a jerkwad, condescending, patronizing jerk.

If people hate me for it, so be it. If people see malice in my intent, that's their problem... moreover, they should probably reevaluate the way they see people people. Being insulted by those four words is silly.
Sticks and stone may break my bones, but I see no point in prayer.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
14-12-2012, 11:52 AM
(14-12-2012 11:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 11:10 AM)kim Wrote:  Usually, when someone tells me they'll pray for me and if I'm in a mood, I'll just say, "Thanks, I'll do an interpretive dance for you." They usually get it. Shy
I'm praying for you, Kim

Yea well... my interpretive dance doesn't involve a pole. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
14-12-2012, 12:03 PM

Took you this long to figure it out? Let's add dense in there, for good measure. Thumbsup

I get that line from people needing to be tooled up, what can I say? Tongue

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-12-2012, 12:08 PM
(14-12-2012 11:52 AM)kim Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 11:26 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm praying for you, Kim

Yea well... my interpretive dance doesn't involve a pole. Dodgy
Meh. What good are ya then? Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
14-12-2012, 12:10 PM
If someone is going to pray to fix my atheism, I'll gladly give them an ear full of why I don't care about whether they talk to themselves about me or not. The rest of the time, when they're just trying to cheer me up or "fix" something bad in my life, I usually just ignore it. Most people from whom I hear this don't even know I'm an atheist; I don't hide it, but I don't broadcast it either. So they just don't know that I don't care about their prayer. But my close friends or family, they know I'm an atheist, and if they tell me they're going to pray for something about me, I usually tell them not to bother, go spend their time on something that actually might make a difference to someone. I'll be more polite than that, but they know I'm an atheist, so they know better than to say that kind of thing to me, which means they deserve a little push back when they do.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
14-12-2012, 12:13 PM
(14-12-2012 12:10 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  If someone is going to pray to fix my atheism, I'll gladly give them an ear full of why I don't care about whether they talk to themselves about me or not. The rest of the time, when they're just trying to cheer me up or "fix" something bad in my life, I usually just ignore it. Most people from whom I hear this don't even know I'm an atheist; I don't hide it, but I don't broadcast it either. So they just don't know that I don't care about their prayer. But my close friends or family, they know I'm an atheist, and if they tell me they're going to pray for something about me, I usually tell them not to bother, go spend their time on something that actually might make a difference to someone. I'll be more polite than that, but they know I'm an atheist, so they know better than to say that kind of thing to me, which means they deserve a little push back when they do.
So, if someone says, "Sorry dude, you're in my thoughts," do you say, "Don't worry about it. Go do something productive"?

If not, how is this any different?

If so, how do you justify throwing malice in the face of someone only offering their sympathies?

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
14-12-2012, 12:16 PM
(14-12-2012 11:50 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  

Sticks and stone may break my bones, but I see no point in prayer.
But, the pray-er does see a point in prayer and honestly believes that it is helpful.

I see this in my son: If he gets hurt, he wants us to kiss his bo-bo. My wife and I know this does 0% to help the pain, but he thinks it does. Are we to stop kissing his bo-bos simply because the ineffectiveness of it?

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
14-12-2012, 12:16 PM
I honestly can't think of a situation where someone would pray for me without good intentions at some level. Even if they say they are praying for me just because I'm an atheist, in their mind they are trying to bring me back to the "truth" and save me from hell. While the intentions may not be as deep or as heartfelt as a religious family member praying for me when I am seriously ill or something, still the intention must be good or they wouldn't be praying at all. So what's to be insulted about? I'm no more insulted over that than I am over the mere fact that they are religious in the first place. The prayer is just a manifestation of their religiosity regardless.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post