Is Intentional Confrontation a Legitimate Protest?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Is Intentional Confrontation a Legitimate Protest?
I look at it this way ----
IF --- someone wants to protest an event --- protesting ON THE DAY OF THAT EVENT is not a simple protest ---- but a direct confrontation.

It's an invitation to a fight.

If you REALLY want a peaceful demonstration -- do it a week later, or a week ahead of the event --- when there's not a whole bunch of the "other guy" present..

The only real reason you'd protest the same day - is to try to twist the tits of " those assholes on the other side"........

There's never a fight - if only one side shows up, right??????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2017, 11:37 AM
RE: Is Intentional Confrontation a Legitimate Protest?
My only concern is whether or not the desired result and the reality of cause and effect happen to align. For the upcoming protests, if that's what they choose to call it, I doubt that will be the case.

People will get aggressive, violence will occur, both sides will throw blame at the other, the media will eat it up and pretend like they're not thrilled to have the boost in ratings.

Just another day.

I have to drive to Vermont on Friday. My only hope is that there aren't a bunch of Canadians going to join in on the festivities and clogging up the border crossing.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
17-01-2017, 12:33 PM
(17-01-2017 11:37 AM)yakherder Wrote:  My only concern is whether or not the desired result and the reality of cause and effect happen to align. For the upcoming protests, if that's what they choose to call it, I doubt that will be the case.

People will get aggressive, violence will occur, both sides will throw blame at the other, the media will eat it up and pretend like they're not thrilled to have the boost in ratings.

Just another day.

I have to drive to Vermont on Friday. My only hope is that there aren't a bunch of Canadians going to join in on the festivities and clogging up the border crossing.

... or a bunch of Americans going the other way.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
17-01-2017, 12:46 PM
(17-01-2017 12:33 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 11:37 AM)yakherder Wrote:  My only concern is whether or not the desired result and the reality of cause and effect happen to align. For the upcoming protests, if that's what they choose to call it, I doubt that will be the case.

Just another day.

... or a bunch of Americans going the other way.

I'll worry about that on Monday when I come back.

And if they come as illegal immigrants, I'll need someone to mow my lawn in a few months.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
17-01-2017, 12:50 PM
(17-01-2017 11:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I look at it this way ----

Then the other side claims a victory they never had.

I don't know. I do believe in peaceful protest -- not riots but peaceful protest. The problem seems to be others have differing definitions of "peaceful".

Dodgy

If you get your jimmies rustled because I'm peacefully protesting that's your problem and none of mine.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-01-2017, 01:15 PM
(17-01-2017 12:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 11:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I look at it this way ----

Then the other side claims a victory they never had.

I don't know. I do believe in peaceful protest -- not riots but peaceful protest. The problem seems to be others have differing definitions of "peaceful".

Dodgy

If you get your jimmies rustled because I'm peacefully protesting that's your problem and none of mine.

Do you agree that scheduling a protest to coincide with "the other guy's" event is intentionally confrontational????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-01-2017, 01:40 PM
(17-01-2017 01:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 12:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Then the other side claims a victory they never had.

Dodgy

Do you agree that scheduling a protest to coincide with "the other guy's" event is intentionally confrontational????

No, not really. Here is an example, I'd protest if the Pope came to town. Protesting a week before or after is pretty meaningless.

And again if a bunch of Catholics got their jimmies rustled it's not really my problem.

If I lived in Washington DC, I'd probably protest -- not because I hate Trump, because I'm very concerned about many of his cabinet picks. Claiming that vaccines cause autism is dangerous and completely disproven. Yet, plenty of people (many well-meaning) still say they think there is a connection -- which study after study has shown there isn't one. But you can't explain that to the Alex Jones types at all...

Man made global climate change is another issue. People still say they don't believe that science has decided that...Really? Really and frankly people's opinion shouldn't really matter in that area (like with vaccines). Some asshole brings a snowball into congress and proclaims that it's a hoax (because it's a snowball), and the lazy applaud.

It's the same type of lazy argument, "if we evolved from monkeys why are there still monkeys." If german shepherd dogs evolved from wolves why are there still wolves?

It's the same as evolution by natural selection...I would protest anyone put into a power position who claims a 6k year old earth...

I would also protest the idea that you can pray away the gay or that homosexuals should be jailed for having "gay sex".

Wouldn't you?

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-01-2017, 01:57 PM
I'm not the protest type.

I'd rather send money - or run for office.......

While protests can change attitudes of individuals about social issues --- the protests themselves have a history of being frequently more destructive than constructive. Go to Detroit and look around .... There's areas that never recovered from the riots (which started as protests) back in the late 60's.....

I figure if the system is worth a shit - you should work within it, rather than from the outside.........

17-01-2017, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2017 02:10 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
(17-01-2017 01:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 12:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Then the other side claims a victory they never had.

Dodgy

If people get riled up enough to attack the protestors, that's their own fault. Not the protestors. Anyway, who really gives a shit if it is confrontational? This is Trump we're talking about. Should I shed a tear for Trump?

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
17-01-2017, 02:10 PM
(17-01-2017 01:57 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm not the protest type.

I'd rather send money - or run for office.......

While protests can change attitudes of individuals about social issues --- the protests themselves have a history of being frequently more destructive than constructive. Go to Detroit and look around .... There's areas that never recovered from the riots (which started as protests) back in the late 60's.....

I figure if the system is worth a shit - you should work within it, rather than from the outside.........

Why not do all those things? If the government does continue on a sideways slant...

I support political candidates who generally reflect my personal views, if that candidate is rejected by the majority (as with the primaries), I will support the one who best alligns with my (mostly social) beliefs.

If that is also rejected by the majorty then I see it as my civic duty to protest anyone that would be seen as threat to the issues that I hold dear.

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post