Is Intentional Confrontation a Legitimate Protest?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 02:16 PM
RE: Is Intentional Confrontation a Legitimate Protest?
Is it intentionally confrontational for SNL to do skits about Trump? Yes. Who cares?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
17-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Ah, the old tone-of-voice/timing complaint.

We'd listen to your concerns, Sweethearts, if you'd just be more polite expressing them, in your softest voice, preferably with your head down, to show that you respect us...and make sure to do it at a time when we're in the mood to hear you...a few months from now, maybe. Else we'll pop you in the mouth and tell you that busted jaw is all your fault.

Nobody seems to think protesting neo-Nazi marches or counter-protesting Westboro ought to happen on a different day than the scheduled event. Why is this different?

The people I know who are going to the marches, being held in more places than just DC, of course, are aware that there will be some who, for various reasons, may try to turn the protest in a more confrontational direction. (That would happen on whatever day was chosen for the protest.) I'm hoping everything stays peaceful. If it's not peaceful, then I hope the people who violate the peace are properly prosecuted. If the protests on the same day as his big event stay peaceful but make the Puppet "sad": tough.
[+] 6 users Like julep's post
17-01-2017, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't call protesting on the day of event confrontational. Or maybe I would but in any case I see nothing wrong with it as turning other cheek rarely works in politics.

People have right to protest and if other side will attack then fault is on them.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-01-2017, 05:04 PM
(17-01-2017 02:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 01:57 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm not the protest type.

I'd rather send money - or run for office.......

While protests can change attitudes of individuals about social issues --- the protests themselves have a history of being frequently more destructive than constructive. Go to Detroit and look around .... There's areas that never recovered from the riots (which started as protests) back in the late 60's.....

I figure if the system is worth a shit - you should work within it, rather than from the outside.........

Why not do all those things? If the government does continue on a sideways slant...

I support political candidates who generally reflect my personal views, if that candidate is rejected by the majority (as with the primaries), I will support the one who best alligns with my (mostly social) beliefs.

If that is also rejected by the majorty then I see it as my civic duty to protest anyone that would be seen as threat to the issues that I hold dear.

Of course we support those candidates who reflect our personal beliefs.

In this case -- for me -- there was absolutely none at all that even came close.

So - I stayed home.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-01-2017, 05:05 PM
(17-01-2017 02:45 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I wouldn't call protesting on the day of event confrontational. Or maybe I would but in any case I see nothing wrong with it as turning other cheek rarely works in politics.

People have right to protest and if other side will attack then fault is on them.

So you didn't see a problem with Fred Phelps and his merry band of homophobic cunts, protesting the funerals of US Servicemembers??????

Rights are rights -- even to those you despise....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-01-2017, 05:22 PM
(17-01-2017 05:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 02:45 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I wouldn't call protesting on the day of event confrontational. Or maybe I would but in any case I see nothing wrong with it as turning other cheek rarely works in politics.

So you didn't see a problem with Fred Phelps and his merry band of homophobic cunts, protesting the funerals of US Servicemembers??????

You're comparing people protesting Trump's inauguration to Westboro Baptist Church members? Laugh out load

17-01-2017, 07:42 PM
(17-01-2017 05:22 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 05:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  So you didn't see a problem with Fred Phelps and his merry band of homophobic cunts, protesting the funerals of US Servicemembers??????

You're comparing people protesting Trump's inauguration to Westboro Baptist Church members? Laugh out load

And you're saying that they're not entitled to the same rights???

Why???

Because you don't like their agenda????

17-01-2017, 07:51 PM
(17-01-2017 11:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I look at it this way ----
IF --- someone wants to protest an event --- protesting ON THE DAY OF THAT EVENT is not a simple protest ---- but a direct confrontation.

It's an invitation to a fight.

If you REALLY want a peaceful demonstration -- do it a week later, or a week ahead of the event --- when there's not a whole bunch of the "other guy" present..

The only real reason you'd protest the same day - is to try to twist the tits of " those assholes on the other side"........

There's never a fight - if only one side shows up, right??????

What is it with your fascination with fighting. You do know the difference between a protest and physical confrontation. Yes, asshole Celebrity Despot deserves to be protested.

Fuck you asshole, same shit with guns, "now is not the time" the day of or the day after the event.

A dangerous demagogue like Trump deserved protest the first bullshit comment he made the day he announced his campaign. He deserved protest for 5 years of painting Obama as "other" he deserved protest for his bullshit comment about McCain and his attack on a dead soldier's mother.

Yes, he deserves protest the day of as well. That is what a boycott is and that is what many will do that day. FUCK TRUMP.

Lewis didn't deserve his comments. And if Lewis had taken your attitude segregation would still exist.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2017, 07:58 PM
(17-01-2017 07:51 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 11:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I look at it this way ----
IF --- someone wants to protest an event --- protesting ON THE DAY OF THAT EVENT is not a simple protest ---- but a direct confrontation.

It's an invitation to a fight.

If you REALLY want a peaceful demonstration -- do it a week later, or a week ahead of the event --- when there's not a whole bunch of the "other guy" present..

The only real reason you'd protest the same day - is to try to twist the tits of " those assholes on the other side"........

There's never a fight - if only one side shows up, right??????

What is it with your fascination with fighting. You do know the difference between a protest and physical confrontation. Yes, asshole Celebrity Despot deserves to be protested.

Fuck you asshole, same shit with guns, "now is not the time" the day of or the day after the event.

A dangerous demagogue like Trump deserved protest the first bullshit comment he made the day he announced his campaign. He deserved protest for 5 years of painting Obama as "other" he deserved protest for his bullshit comment about McCain and his attack on a dead soldier's mother.

Yes, he deserves protest the day of as well. That is what a boycott is and that is what many will do that day. FUCK TRUMP.

Lewis didn't deserve his comments. And if Lewis had taken your attitude segregation would still exist.

Just remember -- you're setting the standard......

SO, from now on -- all elections are suspect, all outcomes shall be challenged, and every inauguration shall be subject to mass protest....................

Enjoy.....

17-01-2017, 07:58 PM
(17-01-2017 07:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 05:22 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  You're comparing people protesting Trump's inauguration to Westboro Baptist Church members? Laugh out load

And you're saying that they're not entitled to the same rights???

Why???

Because you don't like their agenda????

Listen fuckface, there is a huge difference between protecting offensive speech and saying others shouldn't respond to their bullshit. Instead of being so worried that bigotry wont be part of free speech, why not worry about the history of this country in it's totality that makes it hard to get away from that bigotry.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user