Is Intentional Confrontation a Legitimate Protest?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 07:59 PM
RE: Is Intentional Confrontation a Legitimate Protest?
(17-01-2017 11:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The only real reason you'd protest the same day - is to try to twist the tits of " those assholes on the other side"........

The reason I'd do it is that nobody is going be paying attention the day after and the fundamental purpose of protest is to gain as much exposure as possible to try and influence public opinion. Nothing wrong with that. Sure as hell wouldn't be doing it to be confrontational. I'm too old to get my ass kicked and too fat to run away.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
17-01-2017, 08:03 PM
(17-01-2017 07:58 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 07:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And you're saying that they're not entitled to the same rights???

Why???

Because you don't like their agenda????

Listen fuckface, there is a huge difference between protecting offensive speech and saying others shouldn't respond to their bullshit. Instead of being so worried that bigotry wont be part of free speech, why not worry about the history of this country in it's totality that makes it hard to get away from that bigotry.

The difference - is YOUR guy is "Right" and the other guy is "Wrong".....

And for you - it's a simple ( D ) or ( R ) stuck on, after their name.......

It's because you're a humorless, brainless wanker, who thinks people are impressed with calling yourself a "poet"........

I can just imagine the thrill some girl's dad gets ---- "Dad - meet the POET I want to marry"..........

Or, is it a guy's dad????

Blink

Don't bother clarifying....

I really don't give a fuck....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-01-2017, 08:07 PM
(17-01-2017 07:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 11:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The only real reason you'd protest the same day - is to try to twist the tits of " those assholes on the other side"........

The reason I'd do it is that nobody is going be paying attention the day after and the fundamental purpose of protest is to gain as much exposure as possible to try and influence public opinion. Nothing wrong with that. Sure as hell wouldn't be doing it to be confrontational. I'm too old to get my ass kicked and too fat to run away.

Yeah -- that is about the only real reason I can see to justify --- media exposure.....

But -- is it really worth it?????

Risking other people's property, risking their injury, even death -- is that really worth "getting your opinion heard"????????

I'd say they'd be taking the "high ground" morally -- if they didn't get so purposefully confrontational.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-01-2017, 08:09 PM
(17-01-2017 07:58 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 07:51 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  What is it with your fascination with fighting. You do know the difference between a protest and physical confrontation. Yes, asshole Celebrity Despot deserves to be protested.

Fuck you asshole, same shit with guns, "now is not the time" the day of or the day after the event.

A dangerous demagogue like Trump deserved protest the first bullshit comment he made the day he announced his campaign. He deserved protest for 5 years of painting Obama as "other" he deserved protest for his bullshit comment about McCain and his attack on a dead soldier's mother.

Yes, he deserves protest the day of as well. That is what a boycott is and that is what many will do that day. FUCK TRUMP.

Lewis didn't deserve his comments. And if Lewis had taken your attitude segregation would still exist.

Just remember -- you're setting the standard......

SO, from now on -- all elections are suspect, all outcomes shall be challenged, and every inauguration shall be subject to mass protest....................

Enjoy.....

Oversight keeps things fair, don't like it, tough shit.

Even if I believed there were no connection between Putin and Trump, nobody should be shocked if we find out there is, considering how he sucks Putin's dick. Secondly the GOP gerrymandered map has been lopsided for decades. NC got bitch slapped by a district federal court for what they deemed as "surgical" voter ID laws that put liberals and minorities at a severe disadvantage in NC, similar laws have been passed in key swing states, regardless of any connection to Trump and Putin.

Trump's 5 year campaign of demagoguery doesn't have to show a direct connection to Putin. His tone simply set the stage for Russia to say to itself, "Hey seems Trump's lies and misinformation and preying on conspiracy nuts works, lets do it too". But given Trump's global business connections, he is ripe for potential blackmail by foreign entities.

Putin sees Trump as an easy mark, even if you want to take out any direct connection.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2017, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2017 10:28 PM by evenheathen.)
(17-01-2017 08:07 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 07:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The reason I'd do it is that nobody is going be paying attention the day after and the fundamental purpose of protest is to gain as much exposure as possible to try and influence public opinion. Nothing wrong with that. Sure as hell wouldn't be doing it to be confrontational. I'm too old to get my ass kicked and too fat to run away.

Yeah -- that is about the only real reason I can see to justify --- media exposure.....

But -- is it really worth it?????

Risking other people's property, risking their injury, even death -- is that really worth "getting your opinion heard"????????

I'd say they'd be taking the "high ground" morally -- if they didn't get so purposefully confrontational.......

But isn't the whole idea of a protest to be confrontational?

Not to be violent, but to confront an idea in opposition. What better time to do it than in the face of what you are protesting?

Westboro? Fuck yeah they have the right to protest whatever they want whenever they want. And the American public has the right to counter protest, as they have successfully done. It's fair, and that's what I'd like to consider an American value.

A protest (in my mind) is an intentional confrontation. By definition.

Otherwise you're better off buying an ad in the paper...

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 7 users Like evenheathen's post
17-01-2017, 09:58 PM
(17-01-2017 11:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I look at it this way ----
IF --- someone wants to protest an event --- protesting ON THE DAY OF THAT EVENT is not a simple protest ---- but a direct confrontation.

It's an invitation to a fight.

If you REALLY want a peaceful demonstration -- do it a week later, or a week ahead of the event --- when there's not a whole bunch of the "other guy" present..

The only real reason you'd protest the same day - is to try to twist the tits of " those assholes on the other side"........

There's never a fight - if only one side shows up, right??????

Scheduling a counter-protest the same day is just as much protected free speech as the primary demonstration. However I do think as you suggest that the counter-protest organizers should bear additional responsibility for not inciting a confrontation that goes beyond protected free speech.

At times it seems that organizers have as an objective of their protest to, above all else, be disruptive. This seems to come from a belief that a right to free speech equates to a right to be heard which in turn morphs into a right to force someone to listen. I think intentional confrontation should raise the level of scrutiny we give to the activity to decide whether it is truly protected speech, or, as often seems to be the case, whether it is an infringement on others' rights.
18-01-2017, 01:50 AM
(17-01-2017 05:05 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 02:45 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I wouldn't call protesting on the day of event confrontational. Or maybe I would but in any case I see nothing wrong with it as turning other cheek rarely works in politics.

People have right to protest and if other side will attack then fault is on them.

So you didn't see a problem with Fred Phelps and his merry band of homophobic cunts, protesting the funerals of US Servicemembers??????

Rights are rights -- even to those you despise....

I don't care about Polish soldiers. You can imagine how much I care about American ones.

And yes rights are rights - if only thing preventing from protesting during the funeral is decency not law then they do have right to protest even if I find disrupting funerals to be distasteful.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-01-2017, 01:53 AM
(17-01-2017 11:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I look at it this way ----
IF --- someone wants to protest an event --- protesting ON THE DAY OF THAT EVENT is not a simple protest ---- but a direct confrontation.

It's an invitation to a fight.

If you REALLY want a peaceful demonstration -- do it a week later, or a week ahead of the event --- when there's not a whole bunch of the "other guy" present..

The only real reason you'd protest the same day - is to try to twist the tits of " those assholes on the other side"........

There's never a fight - if only one side shows up, right??????

It's America, right? Dude, who do ya reckon's gonna shoot first? I think it's on Sportsbet.com or something.

Cheers mate. I'll but you a case and a bottle of scotch. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
18-01-2017, 02:29 AM
If you want to protest against someting happening, then protesting against it while it is happening is the only form of proper protest. Argue

Seriously i dont understand this thread at all. Blink

If it wasnt Onlinebiker, who usually doesnt give a lot of fucks (see: gun threads) i would say the OP is overly political correct. Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
18-01-2017, 09:39 AM
(17-01-2017 07:58 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Listen fuckface, ...

A sure sign that reasoned intelligent argument will follow... not.

Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post