Is Intentional Confrontation a Legitimate Protest?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2017, 10:17 AM
RE: Is Intentional Confrontation a Legitimate Protest?
(17-01-2017 11:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I look at it this way ----
IF --- someone wants to protest an event --- protesting ON THE DAY OF THAT EVENT is not a simple protest ---- but a direct confrontation.

It's an invitation to a fight.

If you REALLY want a peaceful demonstration -- do it a week later, or a week ahead of the event --- when there's not a whole bunch of the "other guy" present..

It seems to me that modern protest just seem to be an all out troll-fest. They're not looking to persuade the other side, just irritate the shit out of them. In that regard maximum exposure is to be sought.

And I'm also curious as to when was the last time anyone on the other side, or on the fence about an issue was persuaded by a protest? Not since Selma I imagine. Even in regards to causes I'm generally empathetic too, watching and hearing disruptive protestors, tend to eat away at my affection.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2017, 10:40 PM
(18-01-2017 09:39 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 07:58 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Listen fuckface, ...

A sure sign that reasoned intelligent argument will follow... not.

Laugh out load

Hey, I do that with LDH. But LDH truly is a fuckface.

19-01-2017, 02:07 AM
(18-01-2017 10:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
IF --- someone wants to protest an event --- protesting ON THE DAY OF THAT EVENT is not a simple protest ---- but a direct confrontation.

If you REALLY want a peaceful demonstration -- do it a week later, or a week ahead of the event --- when there's not a whole bunch of the "other guy" present..

And I'm also curious as to when was the last time anyone on the other side, or on the fence about an issue was persuaded by a protest? Not since Selma I imagine. Even in regards to causes I'm generally empathetic too, watching and hearing disruptive protestors, tend to eat away at my affection.

Black Lives Matter protests have caused a few actions, that would ordinarily not be taken, to be taken.

Protests will be even more important in the age of Trump where the forces of logic and reason are inferior to partisan displays of popular power.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
19-01-2017, 04:40 PM
(17-01-2017 01:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 12:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Then the other side claims a victory they never had.

I don't know. I do believe in peaceful protest -- not riots but peaceful protest. The problem seems to be others have differing definitions of "peaceful".

Dodgy

If you get your jimmies rustled because I'm peacefully protesting that's your problem and none of mine.

Do you agree that scheduling a protest to coincide with "the other guy's" event is intentionally confrontational????

Yes, and that is the point: maximum effect.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
19-01-2017, 04:44 PM
(18-01-2017 10:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

It seems to me that modern protest just seem to be an all out troll-fest. They're not looking to persuade the other side, just irritate the shit out of them. In that regard maximum exposure is to be sought.

That is not the primary purpose of protest.
The point of protest is to be heard by those who haven't stood up to give them the courage to do so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post