Is Islam a cult? Muslims don't read the Koran!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2017, 08:32 PM
RE: Is Islam a cult? Muslims don't read the Koran!
I'll admit to only skimming, especially since the replies are spaced out over 3 years, but still...of course it's a cult. All religions are technically cults. (Including mine.)

(30-07-2017 04:00 PM)pfwag Wrote:  Atheism can be a cult. After all, no God is just as unprovable.

Oh come on man, not even an Intro thread before diving into the deep end? Poor form.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
30-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Those look a little like Andes Candies (chocolate and mint layers). Love the chocolate and mint combination.

I don't think I could give up coffee for a month. I would get very cranky; my family and friends would probably stage an intervention begging me to get a caffeine IV drip. Usually I drink it black (matches my soul), but sometimes I go for a crazy coffee drink, kind of like this:

[Image: 2c01c95de8ba48f6a4cbcf219dce809b.jpg]

The whipped cream has little crunchy bits of salt in it, which sounds weird but tastes delicious.
Find all posts by this user
30-07-2017, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2017 08:56 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-07-2017 04:00 PM)pfwag Wrote:  Atheism can be a cult. After all, no God is just as unprovable.

Do we worship "no god" ?
Doh

Do you "believe" there are no pink sparkly unicorns ? So you belong to that cult. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Hehe, I usually say the same about me liking sour things and not liking sweet thing - that I'm a bitter, sour person. Conversely, I'm so sweet, I literally do not need any more. Speaking of, tried chewing on a bit of sugar cane, a popular... snack here. Was interesting...

Me, I drink coffee more out of habit than anything else. And I prefer instant. And I drink it with milk. Definitely *not* a coffee snob Rolleyes It's great for taking the sweetness out of sweet things. Though at home I often eat sweet things with yoghurt (without sugar, obviously. In Bulgaria, it is *not* primarily a dessert)

Mint is great in everything... But look who I'm telling, with a nickname like this [Image: img.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Femoticoner.com%...1292867583]

Also:

Tongue

[Image: lindt_excellencebar100g_intensemint.png]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
30-07-2017, 08:59 PM
All religions have their cultish aspects.

31-07-2017, 12:30 AM

That's not what atheism is, by default. It's the lack of belief in Gods. Only some atheists actively believe there is no God. Also, an atheist doesn't have to claim they can prove their beliefs (or lack of) are true.

And one belief, or lack of, hardly makes someone a cult member. I'm not guaranteed to have anything else in common with any other atheist. This is a ridiculous tu-quoque. Atheism requires no rituals, no dogmatic clinging to ideas in spite of evidence, has no leaders, no texts, no promises, no threats, or any of the other things actually associated with cults.

Let's apply what you said to a different subject and see how much sense it makes:

"Not believing in the tooth fairy can be a cult. After all, no tooth fairy is just as unprovable."

Let me restate what you said in a way that actually makes sense:

"Atheists can join/form cults." Of course they can. They are people.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2017, 02:43 AM
[Image: CtFOHsCVUAAIOLi.jpg]

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 5 users Like Silly Deity's post
31-07-2017, 03:51 PM
My own view is that Islam arose as a political force opposed to the ruling Christian proto-European ruling classes of the Near and Middle East. The Koran was an attempt to undermine Christianity and return to the pre-Christian religious and cultural beliefs and practices which prevailed prior to Christianity. They needed a book but it was only to be used by the leaders of this movement to rally the "troops".
31-07-2017, 04:10 PM
(31-07-2017 03:51 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  My own view is that Islam arose as a political force opposed to the ruling Christian proto-European ruling classes of the Near and Middle East. The Koran was an attempt to undermine Christianity and return to the pre-Christian religious and cultural beliefs and practices which prevailed prior to Christianity. They needed a book but it was only to be used by the leaders of this movement to rally the "troops".

That's exactly as I see it. Thumbsup
The model was well known. Alexander did it, to unify his empire, the Babylonian emperor did it, when he sent the Hebrews back to the former 2 kingdoms of Israel. Constantine used Christianity to unify his empire. It worked. And the Arabs used their new religion to unify their new growing empire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R46gMVpAEQ

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Seems common among theists.
http://religionnews.com/2017/04/25/the-b...ut-unread/