Is Islam a cult? Muslims don't read the Koran!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2017, 02:34 PM
RE: Is Islam a cult? Muslims don't read the Koran!
(31-07-2017 07:44 PM)Hitcher70 Wrote:  Seems common among theists.
http://religionnews.com/2017/04/25/the-b...ut-unread/

Yes, that's a very good point. There's a lot of chatter here about Christianity and it's inane belief structure and doctrine. Of course, the Bible wasn't translated into English until the fourteenth century and most people were illiterate anyway. And few would get access to a copy of the bible until modern times, I suppose.

I think this has created a mindset of not actually reading religious works and applying one's own critical thinking to the text. I know I have been guilty of that. I grew up just accepting what people said about, for instance, the New Testament. Most children would accept the interpretation put on the text by their parents, preachers and teachers so one would just accept, for instance, that the idea that Jesus was born of a virgin was plain and obvious from the text.

It's only recently that I just thought that, really, one should just look at it like any book and read what it actually does say. For me, having re-read the NT, I have a completely different take on it. It doesn't, in clear terms say, "Mary was a virgin and one night, God screwed her", or words to that effect. It just says what it says. I now don't get upset about people saying whatever they want about the Jesus story because I can look at the text and decide for myself that it doesn't say that and that it actually does say that Joseph was Jesus' father when discussing his ancestry. So, at best it's the vague report of a dream by a young woman to a relative, relayed to Matthew by...whom...how...when? Same with the resurrection. It doesn't actually say he died. No doctor examined him. No one took a pulse. Ergo, even in the story it's not definitive that he died at all... and it's just a story which is corrupted by having plainly false things in it, such as a false geneology and reports of walking on water. So, it's just an old "Superman" story.

The Koran is far worse. It is incoherent rambling nonsense from cover to cover. Muslims are not supposed to read it other than in Arabic, which few can do.

Therefore, it has to be a cult, because it doesn't involve the exercise of rational, independent thought and analysis. Islam is followed because children have it forced on them and are told they should be killed if they leave the faith. That is a cult, however big it is.

Christianity, insofar as it is accepted on the basis that it ensures eternal life in heaven based on an irrational belief in the mystical aspects of the NT is also a cult, but it also contains a rational moral philosophy. I think the writer/s of the NT were people who understood how cults worked and how to create one. They chose to create one, for political reasons, to subdue and pacify the people of lower Assyria who, presumably, followed some other cult based on moon worship or some such thing. Who knows?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2017, 02:46 PM
(01-08-2017 02:34 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  ... it [the New Testament] actually does say that Joseph was Jesus' father when discussing his ancestry.

How many times are you going to repeat this false claim? The only two books that discuss Jesus' ancestry at all (Matthew and Luke) go out of their way to avoid saying that Joseph was Jesus' father! They clearly do not say what you are claiming they say.
02-08-2017, 09:30 AM
one group of followers calling another group "cults".
It can be equated to fandom.

no matter how one behaves,
if they have the same colored t-shirt on
they are ok with me.