Is Islam a peaceful religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Is Islam a peaceful religion?
Linky!

Bill Maher and Anderson Cooper discuss the Islamic culture in comparison to the free world and how religion relates to violence.

My views are that most religions are morally outdated. Islam is most prominent in the Middle East and Africa, both underdeveloped places. Third world countries tend to have a higher level of violence, due to lack of government and the poverty rates. I don't think Islam itself is the problem, it's not too terribly more violent than Christianity or Judaism. Islam can do the same thing as Christianity, and cut the the ugly parts. As it is, Islamic extremists have taken power in much of the middle east, but I think that Islam itself can be part of civilized culture. Your views?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2010, 08:48 PM

RE: Is Islam a peaceful religion?
I have to agree with you.

I think that if the governments in third world countries improve, then Islamic extremist won't have much power or place in those countries anymore. I don't really mind Islam being around, I'm just mainly bothered by the violent acts and threats of the extremist. Hopefully, Bill Maher is wrong about Islam going into it's own "dark ages". I imagine it would be kind of hard for Islamic extremist to go any further in there violent acts/threats, without other countries governments, stepping down.
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2010, 11:57 AM
You all make good points. Developing countries are not very safe, and people often suggest never to travel to them. Hopefully in time they will become industrialized. Then religion wont be as powerful thus making them better places to be.
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2010, 02:08 AM
I have to disagree.
Unfortunately- it's Islam it self. You may ask any Imam or any sheikh and he will tell you- it is a command to kill every person who refuse to become Muslim or refuse to accept the regime of Islam. More over- you will note this that the similarity between Judaism and Islam is very high. Muslims can't eat pig meet like us, and in ancient times they were praying to Jerusalem and not Mecca. why it was change? because Muhammad saw the traditions of the Jewish traders and took them into his own religion, willing the Jewish to join him in the future. but they didn't want to join him- so when he had enough believers and enough power he slaughtered the Jewish because they refuse to join him and afterwards he changed the direction of praying to Mecca- were he was born. The violence is deep inside Islam. And you can see it even today with the caricature of Muhammad. even though all those Muslims live and maybe even were born in liberal countries like France, they acted violently and made a whole muss only because of one caricature. and the same thing with the south park episode. there are other ways to show they were insulted and it was a disgrace for them to see the caricature or Muhammad as a bear in south park- but every single time they chose acting with violence. why?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2010, 04:01 AM

Shiran, you do realize that in the Jewish bible it states that all of the sinners must be killed. The fact is that we can't do anything about that because we're a tiny country, but I suppose that if we were a larger country, we wouldn't mind having a Muslim holocaust.
I'll give you another example about the laws in our bible.
In our bible, it states that if a country (I wanted to use the word "am" in Hebrew, with means "a group of people", but I don't really know what's the exact name for that) is trying to conquer our country and they surrender, all of the men must be murdered and the ladies and the children will be slaved.
Do you call that peaceful? I don't know what's worse - the Islam or Judaism.

*Sorry about the grammer mistakes, I'm not so good with conditions. Tongue
07-05-2010, 04:35 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2010 05:03 AM by shiranl.)
Yes HurricanIL- I am realizing that. that why I'm atheistTongue
the difference between Muslims and Jewish is- we don't act violently like the bible says (and please don't bring up the orthodox with their violent about any thing non religious- you and I know that they are using the religion just to control people, like any other religion). when we get offended by Antisemitism or anything like it- we protest by letters and by talking. we protest by telling those who say these things it's unacceptable and something has to change. we don't burn flags, we don't throw stones at people, we don't spit in the face of democracy.
and about the "we wouldn't mind have a Muslims holocaust" that fucking bullshit. the fact is- we can do a "Muslim holocaust", but we don't. Israel has enough nuclear power to do so for a long-long time. but we never used it and we never threat another country to use it (unlike other country you and I know very well....in a strange coincidence it also a radical Muslim country. go figure.)
I assuming you wanted to use the word "nation" (get this word down, I use it thousands of times arguing peopleTongue)
Again- you are right. that why I'm atheist. but again- the difference between us and the Muslims- we don't follow those rules anymore. Muslims do follow those rules in age of democracy and civil rights. that why the only Jewish state in the world has democratic regime and the 50+ Muslims countries have dictatorial regime.
We have one nation under our control these days- did we kill all the men? does the women and kids is our slaves? you know we don't do that, don't want to do that and in matter of fact- if Israel could let the Palestinians raise their own state without hurting Israel's civilians it would do it. but the reality is different. the Palestinians demand a country in Israel land not because they want to be here- it because they want us out of here. I'm sad to say so- but if the choice is between Jewish having a country and the Palestinians having a country- I'm prefer the Jewish. sadly-this is the reality in the middle east.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2010, 07:11 AM

All 3 Abrahamic religions are violent period.