Is Islam as violent as we think it is?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2012, 03:57 AM
RE: Is Islam as violent as we think it is?
(29-02-2012 05:20 PM)ElectricEthan Wrote:  Just having a discussion and a Surah was brought up, in regard to it's violent intentions.

Surah 8:12 - Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them.

The Surah was later revealed not to be describing what should happen to unbelievers, but rather what Allah was saying would happen to the Meccans they were fighting in the Battle of Badr. I don't know if they were fighting because of religious persecution by the Meccans or what, but it seems this verse was excused as not being relevant to the topic.

I don't carry around a notebook with all of the violent Quranic vurses, and I don't really feel the need to. I think all of the old religions are faith based nonsense, but I don't know if I can necessarily say they are as violent as we make them out to be.

Are there any inexcusable verses in the Quran that you guys have in your notebooks? Ones that if we studied them, they would turn up to simply be violent and evil? Thanks for the help folks.

Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority"

Quran (4:89) - "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks."

Quran (4:95) - "Not equal are those believers who sit (at home) and receive no hurt, and those who strive and fight in the cause of Allah with their goods and their persons. Allah hath granted a grade higher to those who strive and fight with their goods and persons than to those who sit (at home). Unto all (in Faith) Hath Allah promised good: But those who strive and fight Hath He distinguished above those who sit (at home) by a special reward,-"

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Quran (9:14) - "Fight them, Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace..."

Quran (9:30) - "And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!"

Quran (17:16) - "And when We wish to destroy a town, We send Our commandment to the people of it who lead easy lives, but they transgress therein; thus the word proves true against it, so We destroy it with utter destruction."

Islam is peaceful? Seems legit.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2012, 04:16 AM
Islam is the most peaceful religion I have ever seen...

[Image: the-peaceful-islamic-religion-islam-reli...023432.jpg]

[Image: islam_woman_violence_full.jpg]

[Image: Behead+those+who+insult+Islam.jpg]

[Image: 060206_wp_london_protest_hmed9p-hmedium.jpg]

[Image: islam-violent-cartoon-brookins.jpg]

The Koran tells of peaceful things and of violent things, so the real question is what do people accept of those two. Guess what part does a big part of Muslim accept?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
01-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Hey, Ethan.

Deep's got it goin on on this one. Holy books are interpreted. That is supported by observation. The idea that everyone just perfectly expresses every verse as is as if they had been programmed in basic is not only not supported by the data, it's demonstrably false:.
10 run
15 hate infidels
20 go to 10
(Sooooooooo not a basic programmer)

Now I'm not saying religion is innocent, but we have to stick to observed fact in our assessment of it.

The better question is not "is there a verse that exists" but rather "is there a verse that is preached and observed somewhere"?

For example, the WBC takes all the hateful lines in the Bible and bases their entire theology on them. The United Church of Canada? Bunch a fuckin hippies. Same Bible. Utterly different theology.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post