Is It Possible For Religion To Change Its Mind?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Is It Possible For Religion To Change Its Mind?
Since a religious truth is handed down from the ultimate authority, how can a religious adherent change their thoughts on a matter of scripture?
In the UK the Conservative Party is trying to re-brand itself as being "not the nasty party" (quote).
To clarify, I said "Not the NASTY party" and not anything else that might sound somewhat similar ;-)
To facilitate this re-branding they've tabled a pro-gay-marriage bill, which has ripped the party asunder.
The discussion of this has been interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22250412
Peace and brotherhood to all.
JX
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2013, 04:52 PM
RE: Is It Possible For Religion To Change Its Mind?
Yes. At great risk.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
21-05-2013, 04:55 PM
I would say, yes of course. My reasoning for this is that, even though adherents might believe their scriptures were divinely-inspired, they are usually vague, full of contradictions, and can be interpreted to mean just about anything. They can be interpreted to mean one thing, or to mean the very opposite of that thing.

As for political parties, I think they use whatever interpretations that they think they will be able to profit from. Here, we have republicans pandering to the religious vote by talking about god-fearing they are, and how abortion is wrong because god or whatever. I think it's less religious people changing their minds than it is just the same old shit: political parties doing whatever they think will get them more votes/support.

I admit I didn't read the link. If they don' want to be the "nasty party," I think that still shows they are mainly concerned about their image. It's like here, some republican said Repubs should change things so they are no longer viewed as "the stupid party."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
21-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I agree with you. To me it just seems like a cheap attempt to seem "inclusive".
Hey, it's worth a try! ;-)
JX
21-05-2013, 05:24 PM
I MEANT to say that this link has a few good examples of religion changing its mind on a lot of previously sacrosanct concepts.
I apologise for my oversight.
JX
21-05-2013, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2013 05:31 PM by cjs.)
They definitely change their minds. 60 years ago in the Deep South churches preached racism from the pulpit and if you dated or married outside your race (if it was legal), you got a cross burned in your yard or worse. I'm 48, and interracial marriage was legal,when i was growing up, but people sat around and fretted, what about the children? Now mixed-race couples and their children and common (two mixed-race families in the immediate part of my neighborhood), and everybody is fine. My white son was several years old before we even discussed race because it was such a non-issue.

Yes, there are still prejudiced people here, and I've heard folks, both black and white, say they wouldn't marry out, but most people don't believe that that they're doing God's will by killing someone for falling in love with a non-white person. It's not perfect, but no mainstream Christian I know (and I know many) believes it is right to kill innocent people because they don't agree with their viewpoint. The KKK is still here, but is pretty much ignored and seen as a fringe group of nut jobs.

Of course my state passed a defense of marriage deal years ago, and gay marriage will be the next train that has left the station everywhere else, and we will be dead last, forced kicking and screaming just like school desegregation and interracial marriage.

Godless in the Magnolia State
22-05-2013, 02:28 PM
(21-05-2013 04:47 PM)Johnny Xed Wrote:  Since a religious truth is handed down from the ultimate authority, how can a religious adherent change their thoughts on a matter of scripture?
In the UK the Conservative Party is trying to re-brand itself as being "not the nasty party" (quote).
To clarify, I said "Not the NASTY party" and not anything else that might sound somewhat similar ;-)
To facilitate this re-branding they've tabled a pro-gay-marriage bill, which has ripped the party asunder.
The discussion of this has been interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22250412
Peace and brotherhood to all.
JX

Of course it can. Through a number of methods.

One is to create a sect, that reinterprets the books or has new books, or completely revises/rewrites their books.

The second is to have a leader of the religion change things willy nilly like the pope.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
22-05-2013, 02:48 PM
A good example of a religion changing its mind is The Worldwide Church of God. Originally regarded as a cult by mainstream Christianity, the WCG preached a peculiar gospel that emphasized the United States and Great Britain as the heirs to Biblical prophecy and rejected the personality of the Holy Spirit. Yeah, that means instead of a "logical" one-god-in-one-person monotheism of Judaism or the logic-defying "one-God-in-three-persons" of Christianity (aka, The Trinity). the WCG preached one-god-in-two-persons. I'm not kidding.

They also believed in soul-sleep, the doctrine that a person's existence is extinguished at death and that he will not live again until some future date, when God blows a really, really loud trumpet.

Long story short, they abandoned those positions, among others, and are now considered a mainstream evangelical Christian organization, believing in the Trinity and immediate life after death.

When you get a religion to change its views on the identity of God and the nature of death, I think that qualifies as "religion changing its mind," no?
22-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Mormons did a 180 on polygamy once loss of federal funding was threatened. Lo and behold, someone had a vision that it was no longer ok!

Godless in the Magnolia State
22-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_II

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.