Is Jesus God?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
31-10-2012, 01:04 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 01:51 AM by Mark Fulton.)
RE: Is Jesus God?
Hey,

why don't you reread your opening line. Moses and "other men" were not gods, so it makes no sense.

I have read and reread your post, but as with your previous commentary, I have little idea what point you're trying to make. Is it something to do with Jesus' divine status or lack thereof?

Are you trying to say that Jesus, in the earliest translations of the gospels, was not considered divine? If so why not say it clearly?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2012, 01:59 AM
articular |ärˈtikyələr|
adjective [ attrib. ]
of or relating to a joint or the joints: articular cartilage.

Please explain?????????

There is no such word in the dictionary as "anarthrous" ...please explain this too.
31-10-2012, 02:22 AM
(30-10-2012 09:25 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 08:55 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well, I've got no business here, I must stop coming to these threads.

I completely understand and respect your decision. It isn't for everyone. Just remember free thought comes in many forms.

What isn't for everyone?
31-10-2012, 02:26 AM
(30-10-2012 09:48 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  Is there an argument here to debate or this was just some preaching?

Neither.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
31-10-2012, 03:51 AM
GIGO.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
31-10-2012, 08:56 AM
(30-10-2012 10:01 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  Now I think I get your point, but when you say
Quote:The Bible and myself, side with the atheists. Jesus isn't God.
you are not entirely "sided" with atheist in this case since you just don't believe Jesus is God, and on the other side atheists dont even believe that Jesus (if ever existed) had any kind of "super-human powers".

You are right in that I should have more carefully stated my position. To say God sided with the atheist was pretty stupid of me. I meant that we all agree on the subject of Is Jesus God. According to the Bible a god doesn't have to possess any superhuman powers. Arguably, Jesus had what could be considered as "super-human powers," including healing, walking on water, turning water to wine, etc. but these powers came from God's holy spirit and was also practiced by prophets before Jesus and the apostles afterwards.
31-10-2012, 09:00 AM
(31-10-2012 08:56 AM)The Theist Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 10:01 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  Now I think I get your point, but when you say you are not entirely "sided" with atheist in this case since you just don't believe Jesus is God, and on the other side atheists dont even believe that Jesus (if ever existed) had any kind of "super-human powers".

You are right in that I should have more carefully stated my position. To say God sided with the atheist was pretty stupid of me. I meant that we all agree on the subject of Is Jesus God. According to the Bible a god doesn't have to possess any superhuman powers. Arguably, Jesus had what could be considered as "super-human powers," including healing, walking on water, turning water to wine, etc. but these powers came from God's holy spirit and was also practiced by prophets before Jesus and the apostles afterwards.

And the twenty other, or so, apocalyptic prophets of his day. Miracles were seen as ubiquitous at that time. It was nothing unusual, or unique to Jeebus. There were lots of preachers running around doing miracles.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
31-10-2012, 09:03 AM
You are starting off under the assumption that Jesus actually existed, despite the fact that no contemporary historians ever wrote about him. How about this, start off with "Did Jesus exist?" and then you can begin to make wild assertions as to whether or not he was god, the son of god, a preacher, something slightly above human, etc, etc.

Oh, and the Bible isn't a historical document, so when I say prove that Jesus existed, you will need to provide other sources. In the same way that some people assert that Merlin was based off of a real person, but fictional stories can't prove that.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
31-10-2012, 09:10 AM
(30-10-2012 08:44 PM)The Theist Wrote:  This response addresses the fact that Jesus was a god just as Moses and other men were gods, though not to be confused with Jehovah God.

Sorry, but I couldn't get past this first sentence. Why do you say Moses was a god?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
31-10-2012, 09:14 AM
(31-10-2012 09:10 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 08:44 PM)The Theist Wrote:  This response addresses the fact that Jesus was a god just as Moses and other men were gods, though not to be confused with Jehovah God.

Sorry, but I couldn't get past this first sentence. Why do you say Moses was a god?

Now, I willingly and fully admit that this area is not my area of knowledge, and likely never will be.

However I would like to speculate that Theist may have some misconceptions as to the difference between a prophet and a deity.
Then again perhaps it is I who has the misconceptions.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post