Is Jesus God?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
31-10-2012, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 09:46 AM by The Theist.)
RE: Is Jesus God?
(30-10-2012 10:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  100 % Circular Argument : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_reasoning
No Bible quote proves anything about any Bible concept.
The authority of the Bible must be established a priori.
That has not been established.

Did you notice that in the link you gave that quoting the Bible isn't used as an example of circular reasoning but scientific empirical evidence is? The reason why quoting the Bible isn't listed is because it isn't circular reasoning. Ask yourself, or the college professor or atheist who spoon fed you that information without your ever having asked yourself about it before, if the Bible said it wasn't true would that be reason enough not to believe it?

Also you have to consider that the Bible is a collection of books that cover thousands of years from different sources from which we corroborate and cross reference.

In fact, not only is the assertion that "You can't use the Bible to prove the Bible" not a tautology, but its a fallacy of equivocation. What you are really saying is that "You can't use the Bible to prove the Bible." In your major premise the Bible is used as the accepted canon of 66 books and in your minor premise the Bible means a portion of one of the different books.

The rest of the post you made to which I now respond is petty nitpicking without any support. I'm inclined to think that this may impress your audience, who don't know any better. Like I told you early on, I think you are all show and no substance. That and your constant homophobic and personal attacks contribute to my avoiding you for the most part. I could take the considerable time it would take to attempt to educate you and your audience but frankly I have learned that such an attempt would be in vain. Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.

However, I'm entertaining the possibility of challenging you to a one on one debate here; as I have invited Mark to the same. We will see.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2012, 09:45 AM
(31-10-2012 09:14 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 09:10 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Sorry, but I couldn't get past this first sentence. Why do you say Moses was a god?

Now, I willingly and fully admit that this area is not my area of knowledge, and likely never will be.

However I would like to speculate that Theist may have some misconceptions as to the difference between a prophet and a deity.
Then again perhaps it is I who has the misconceptions.

You are thinking of the possibilities! That is learning and it doesn't get much better than that. Don't be so hard on yourself. Its great!

In response to both you and Impulse, Moses was called a God by God at Exodus 4:16; 7:1. "And he must speak for you to the people; and it must occur that he will serve as a mouth to you, and you will serve as God (Hebrew, lelohim, plural; Greek, theon; Latin, Deum) to him. Consequently Jehovah said to Moses: "See, I have made you God (Hebrew, elohim; Greek, theon; Latin, Deum) to Pharaoh, and Aaron your own brother will become your prophet."

A god is anything or anyone mighty or venerated by another. Jehovah, who announced himself as a God to Israel, informed Moses that he was going to have to be a God to Pharaoh and Aaron. This means mighty. The confusion is caused by the term God being, traditionally misapplied as a sort of personal name only for a supernatural creator god. That isn't the way the Bible writers thought.
31-10-2012, 09:49 AM
(31-10-2012 09:45 AM)The Theist Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 09:14 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Now, I willingly and fully admit that this area is not my area of knowledge, and likely never will be.

However I would like to speculate that Theist may have some misconceptions as to the difference between a prophet and a deity.
Then again perhaps it is I who has the misconceptions.

You are thinking of the possibilities! That is learning and it doesn't get much better than that. Don't be so hard on yourself. Its great!

In response to both you and Impulse, Moses was called a God by God at Exodus 4:16; 7:1. "And he must speak for you to the people; and it must occur that he will serve as a mouth to you, and you will serve as God (Hebrew, lelohim, plural; Greek, theon; Latin, Deum) to him. Consequently Jehovah said to Moses: "See, I have made you God (Hebrew, elohim; Greek, theon; Latin, Deum) to Pharaoh, and Aaron your own brother will become your prophet."

A god is anything or anyone mighty or venerated by another. Jehovah, who announced himself as a God to Israel, informed Moses that he was going to have to be a God to Pharaoh and Aaron. This means mighty. The confusion is caused by the term God being, traditionally misapplied as a sort of personal name only for a supernatural creator god. That isn't the way the Bible writers thought.

The confusion is caused by believing that the Bible has anything interesting to say about reality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
31-10-2012, 10:00 AM
What's a god? Define please.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
31-10-2012, 10:03 AM
(31-10-2012 10:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  What's a god? Define please.

My Gwynnies. Heart There is no other god. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
31-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Your what-ies?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-10-2012, 10:17 AM
(31-10-2012 10:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Your what-ies?

[Image: asb.jpg]
Gwynnies. Heart

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
31-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Doesn't seem all that attractive... Why's she so special?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-10-2012, 10:28 AM
(31-10-2012 10:26 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Doesn't seem all that attractive... Why's she so special?

I'm not talking to you no morez. Everz. Angry

31-10-2012, 10:30 AM
(31-10-2012 10:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 10:26 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Doesn't seem all that attractive... Why's she so special?

I'm not talking to you no morez. Everz. Angry

That is it? Are you feeling ok?Drinking Beverage

People have suffered far worse for a lot less when it comes to your Gwynnies.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post