Is Jesus God?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
31-10-2012, 11:13 AM
RE: Is Jesus God?
(31-10-2012 09:29 AM)The Theist Wrote:  Did you notice that in the link you gave that quoting the Bible isn't used as an example of circular reasoning but scientific empirical evidence is? The reason why quoting the Bible isn't listed is because it isn't circular reasoning. Ask yourself, or the college professor or atheist who spoon fed you that information without your ever having asked yourself about it before, if the Bible said it wasn't true would that be reason enough not to believe it?
Also you have to consider that the Bible is a collection of books that cover thousands of years from different sources from which we corroborate and cross reference.

Clearly you have no clue who wrote the Bible, and how it was assembled, or why, or what the sources were. Not only do you NOT know the Bible you don't even understand what "circular reasoning" means. It doesn't HAVE to be LISTED to be circular you fool, it's an EXAMPLE of it is. What a fucking moron. It's like talking to a rock.

I don't debate ignorant rocks, You have not established the authority of your Babble. I know you WANT to do Babble quote duels, as that's ALL you're any good at. Too bad. I don't take THAT crappy bait.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2012, 11:17 AM
(31-10-2012 09:45 AM)The Theist Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 09:14 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Now, I willingly and fully admit that this area is not my area of knowledge, and likely never will be.

However I would like to speculate that Theist may have some misconceptions as to the difference between a prophet and a deity.
Then again perhaps it is I who has the misconceptions.

You are thinking of the possibilities! That is learning and it doesn't get much better than that. Don't be so hard on yourself. Its great!

In response to both you and Impulse, Moses was called a God by God at Exodus 4:16; 7:1. "And he must speak for you to the people; and it must occur that he will serve as a mouth to you, and you will serve as God (Hebrew, lelohim, plural; Greek, theon; Latin, Deum) to him. Consequently Jehovah said to Moses: "See, I have made you God (Hebrew, elohim; Greek, theon; Latin, Deum) to Pharaoh, and Aaron your own brother will become your prophet."

A god is anything or anyone mighty or venerated by another. Jehovah, who announced himself as a God to Israel, informed Moses that he was going to have to be a God to Pharaoh and Aaron. This means mighty. The confusion is caused by the term God being, traditionally misapplied as a sort of personal name only for a supernatural creator god. That isn't the way the Bible writers thought.
You are the first that I have ever heard call Moses a god. I have heard him called a prophet, but never a god. Serving as God, is not the same as being a god. When a President is unavailable (seriously ill, for example), a Vice President may serve as President. That means serving in the capacity of President, not actually being President. The word "as" makes all the difference. Now your citation of Exodus 7:1 doesn't have the word "as", but here is what it looks like in the Catholic version of the Bible:

"Yahweh then said to Moses, 'Look, I have made you as a god for Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron is to be your prophet."

That Bible has the word "as". I believe God was just saying Moses would be doing God's work and therefore acting on God's behalf - "serving as God" - since God himself would not be personally taking the actions he wanted of Moses.

See how much difference there is in the interpretation because of one little word? What a great example to illustrate how utterly unreliable "the" Bible is ("the" is in quotes because there are countless variations - even the phrase "the Bible" has no consistent meaning).

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
31-10-2012, 11:19 AM
(31-10-2012 09:29 AM)The Theist Wrote:  The rest of the post you made to which I now respond is petty nitpicking without any support. I'm inclined to think that this may impress your audience, who don't know any better. Like I told you early on, I think you are all show and no substance.

That's what people say who can't refute the point s made. LOL
You are a joke, and beneath contempt.
I GAVE you the support.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
31-10-2012, 11:20 AM
(31-10-2012 11:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 10:42 AM)The Theist Wrote:  There are many definitions but from the perspective of the Bible is is simply this. A god is anything or anyone mighty or venerated by another.

That is patently false. There are levels of divine beings. They are in no way equal. You are THE ONLY person EVER to define the Biblical god in that way. You have no justification for that crap. That comes from your lack of education. I am not getting into a Babble quote battle with someone with so little knowledge that they would eve propose that.

I never stated they were equal, I simply implied that by definition of the Bible, which is comparable with the modern English definition, the word god is just a title, like lord.

You have some really odd conceptions about what the word god means. I've noticed you bringing up the use of El in the makeup of common names Like Michael and Israel. Like that is supposed to make your point? It was common. Michael, for example, means "Who is like God?" Israel means "Contender (Perseverer) With God; or, God Contends." Elijah means "My God Jehovah." Daniel means "My Judge Is God."

You are young. You have a lot of learning to do. I don't want to discourage that, but don't think too much of your higher education or too little of someone thinking for themselves.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2012, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 03:09 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(31-10-2012 11:17 AM)Impulse Wrote:  You are the first that I have ever heard call Moses a god. I have heard him called a prophet, but never a god. Serving as God, is not the same as being a god. When a President is unavailable (seriously ill, for example), a Vice President may serve as President. That means serving in the capacity of President, not actually being President. The word "as" makes all the difference. Now your citation of Exodus 7:1 doesn't have the word "as", but here is what it looks like in the Catholic version of the Bible:

"Yahweh then said to Moses, 'Look, I have made you as a god for Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron is to be your prophet."

That Bible has the word "as". I believe God was just saying Moses would be doing God's work and therefore acting on God's behalf - "serving as God" - since God himself would not be personally taking the actions he wanted of Moses.

See how much difference there is in the interpretation because of one little word? What a great example to illustrate how utterly unreliable "the" Bible is ("the" is in quotes because there are countless variations - even the phrase "the Bible" has no consistent meaning).

He is jusk fucking off the wall. The Biblical definition of a "prophet" is a "mouthpiece". He is THE ONLY person EVER to propose this crap, and attempt to make it "fit". It's "off-the-wall". It's beyond bizarre. And now he's going to try to "you're-just-young" me. He's a joke.
Actually this is interesting in a way. This is what happens to religious crackpots, such as Joseph Smith, and the long line of other nut jobs.
They develop their own individual cultist meanings of thing, and off-the-wall bizarre nonsense. There is NO Biblical scholar, or Torah scholar that would buy into this pathetic nonsense. If I wrote this crap in a paper, I would get flunked, in a second. Even the Fundies don't agree with this drivel.
Have fun. As you have seen, he can't write a sentence in English, much less read an ancient text in context.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
31-10-2012, 11:41 AM
(31-10-2012 11:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 11:17 AM)Impulse Wrote:  You are the first that I have ever heard call Moses a god. I have heard him called a prophet, but never a god. Serving as God, is not the same as being a god. When a President is unavailable (seriously ill, for example), a Vice President may serve as President. That means serving in the capacity of President, not actually being President. The word "as" makes all the difference. Now your citation of Exodus 7:1 doesn't have the word "as", but here is what it looks like in the Catholic version of the Bible:

He is jusk fucking off the wall. The Biblical definition of a "prophet" is a "mouthpiece". He is THE ONLY person EVER to propose this crap, and attempt to make it "fit. It's "off-the-wall- it's beyond bizarre. And now he's going to try to "you're-just-young" me. He's a joke. I'm done.
I agree. And the "too young" thing is just silly, not to mention weak as an argument.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
31-10-2012, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 12:16 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(31-10-2012 11:41 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(31-10-2012 11:29 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  He is just fucking off the wall. The Biblical definition of a "prophet" is a "mouthpiece". He is THE ONLY person EVER to propose this crap, and attempt to make it "fit. It's "off-the-wall. It's beyond bizarre. And now he's going to try to "you're-just-young" me. He's a joke.
I agree. And the "too young" thing is just silly, not to mention weak as an argument.

It is a fine point, in a way. An individual nut job, or a community of nut jobs. That is what Biblical scholars study. Communities of nut jobs. By his definition, a jet engine is a god.

He calls ME homophobic, after this -> "I'm homosexual, was born that way and practiced until I discovered the truth of the Bible. Though I have had periods of time when I was unable to resist the natural urges since then for the most part I have abstained from homosexual activity, especially in the last few years. Though I have come to think of it as a disgusting practice I have nothing against homosexuals, nor a self loathing as such."

Heh heh.

Not only is he homophobic, he is a deluded self-admitted homophobe.
His concept of a deity is not shared by anyone on the planet. He's starting his own new religion. He cooked it up. It flies in the face of everything in scholarship, ever known, or written. It IS original. I can say that for it. It certainly is original. I'll show it to some friends, and we'll have a good laugh. He would get laughed out of EVERY school in the nation, no, the world. It's THAT bizarre.

BTW, The Theist,
The next time you *think* you're insulting someone, do try to spell the insult about education correctly, ok ?
"His arrogance is surpassed only by his ignorance. Indoctrinated into higher criticism in the guise of science. Borish."
Boorish is spelled with 2 o's. Ok ? ok Weeping

31-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Why do people come to an atheist forum to start new religions?

Not the first one here. Shocking

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
31-10-2012, 01:26 PM
(30-10-2012 09:01 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Argumentum ad Fidem Jesus' alleged claims........... also SAul.

Argument from Authority God has the authority to grow humans via suffering/confusion.

Argumentum ad miseracordium If we aren't kind to Jesus the clergy might go broke.

Argument from Ignorance Too many scriptural references, in thinking that weight is synonymous with profound proofs.

Fallacy of equivocation Yahweh, for no good reason is separated from all other gods, though putting them in as well probably would not help much.

I never heard that Argumentum ad miseracordiam ... that is SOOO frickin HILARIOUS ... unless you were a Catholic you cannot know HOW funny that is !! Bowing

31-10-2012, 01:30 PM
(31-10-2012 12:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  Why do people come to an atheist forum to start new religions?

Not the first one here. Shocking

Cuz they get kicked out of everywhere else. Weeping