Is Life a Right? Or Is It a Privilege?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2014, 01:50 AM
Is Life a Right? Or Is It a Privilege?
The question is very simple. I was in an exchange with an individual online, and the question became the topic of debate. He claims that living is a privilege, and cites the fact that life can be taken away (such as in the case of capital punishment) as evidence of his claim. I, on the other hand, claim that life is a right, and the act of taking it away (even in the case of capital punishment) is nothing more than a violation of that right. A necessary violation, perhaps, but a violation none the less.

So: Is life a right or a privilege? Is it both?

Priv·i·lege noun \ˈpriv-lij, ˈpri-və-\
: a right or benefit that is given to some people and not to others

: a special opportunity to do something that makes you proud

: the advantage that wealthy and powerful people have over other people in a society

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
26-06-2014, 02:47 AM
RE: Is Life a Right? Or Is It a Privilege?
IMO
Once a person is born they have the same equal right to live as anyone else. This right is not given, not by god, and not by law. It is the most basic right we have.

To me, privilege implies life was granted, by some unseen, outside force that deemed (by an unknown standard) I was worthy of living. This in turn, of course, implies creation.

The idea of privilege was created to impose punishment, a loophole, to justify killing someone for their actions. For example: You give up your life (privilege) when you take the life of another.
The privilege idea also gives a big boost to god. You were created by god and you owe your very existence to him.
I don't buy into this idea.
Find all posts by this user
26-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Life is a process.
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
26-06-2014, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2014 03:15 AM by pablo.)
(26-06-2014 02:49 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Life is a process.

Sometimes it's a chore. Big Grin
[+] 8 users Like pablo's post
26-06-2014, 03:30 AM
In a philosophical sense, life is a right, I think.

It just seems more feasible to consider it a right, rather then a privilege.
26-06-2014, 06:03 AM
If only the answer was as simple huh?

I think its a strange combination of both.

You are privileged to be alive at this moment. It's not something that everyone gets to have. But at the same time you have the right to be here.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
26-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Life is an accident.

So are laws, just depends on who happens to be in control.

As a social species, we should protect life.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
26-06-2014, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2014 08:03 AM by Luminon.)
For life to be a right, there would have to be someone, who might deprive you of life under some circumstances. And he would have to be alive. Thus he'd have to be a hypocrite, to value life and yet not value life at the same time. Of course, people who threaten our life by attacking are hypocrites themselves and they throw their life away.

Life as a privilege is an even weirder idea, because if life was a privilege, an exception from the ordinary, then there'd be no ordinary way to get born and even the privileged ones need this ordinary basis of existence.

Life is a natural inevitability. However, as some Facebook smartasses say, some people die at 25 and don't get buried until they're 75.

In my experience, some people die at 4 years and don't get resurrected till they're 25.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
26-06-2014, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2014 12:46 PM by Michael_Tadlock.)
Using capital punishment to make the case that life is not a right is a flawed argument. Prison is a lawful institution that denies people rights. It doesn't mean that the right to live where you please and say what you like are not in fact rights because they can be taken away whilst in prison, it only means that while you are incarcerated you are denied those rights. When someone is executed by the state they are denied their right - to live.

When some event, of which people are involved in the cause, brings about the end of one or more persons lives, then several questions almost always arise:

1) Was it preventable?
2) Were the consequences forceable?
3) Was one parties actions unlawful?

Based on the answer to these questions, it would be decided if restitution or punishment is warranted.

This exact same question asking and decision making loop would take place if someones property rights were violated. Indeed a similar process would be invoked if any rights were violated (to speak, to freely assemble, pick whatever you like). This speaks strongly to life being a right, and not a privilege.

A privilege is a legal power, awarded to someone after birth, which can be revoked t any time. Privilege in the legal sense often pertains to access to sensitive or classified information. The difference is privilege is usually explicitly rewarded, or implicitly granted upon obtaining some office. This is not true of life, because the legal protections to your life are awarded to you no later than your birth. By definition, this makes life not a privilege but a right.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
26-06-2014, 06:02 PM
(26-06-2014 01:50 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  The question is very simple. I was in an exchange with an individual online, and the question became the topic of debate. He claims that living is a privilege, and cites the fact that life can be taken away (such as in the case of capital punishment) as evidence of his claim. I, on the other hand, claim that life is a right, and the act of taking it away (even in the case of capital punishment) is nothing more than a violation of that right. A necessary violation, perhaps, but a violation none the less.

So: Is life a right or a privilege? Is it both?

Priv·i·lege noun \ˈpriv-lij, ˈpri-və-\
: a right or benefit that is given to some people and not to others

: a special opportunity to do something that makes you proud

: the advantage that wealthy and powerful people have over other people in a society

Define "life"....

IMHO...."life" is a privilege

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster