Is Life a Right? Or Is It a Privilege?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2014, 09:04 PM
RE: Is Life a Right? Or Is It a Privilege?
Thing is, we live whether we choose to or not... Some choose to die, but they must live first. If you know what I mean.

So whether or not you're born alive and survive long enough to make a decision about living is pretty much out of your hands.

Really, we should look at it as the right to self-determination... Which, no one has the right to interfere with.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
27-06-2014, 12:00 AM
(26-06-2014 06:03 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  If only the answer was as simple huh?

I think its a strange combination of both.

You are privileged to be alive at this moment. It's not something that everyone gets to have. But at the same time you have the right to be here.

Based on the definitions and my personal moral stance, this is conclusion I've come to as well. As I later said to the individual: I am privileged to have been given life. It is now my right to keep it.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
27-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Life just happens: I'm here and then I'm not. If I call it a privilege, I can only speak for myself; If I call it a right, I am speaking for everyone. I can't speak for everyone, and I am not privileged.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
27-06-2014, 08:52 PM
I guess the question might be different, if life just is.

What are our individual rights where the lives of others are concerned? Do certain people have a right or a privilege to meddle in or to take away the life of another person under a certain set of circumstances?

I'm just saying, the question might change slightly IF life is neither a privilege or a right but is simply a reality.
27-06-2014, 09:24 PM
I feel that I am privileged to have the right to life.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
27-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Privileges are "granted" by something or someone.
Humans have fundamental rights, (according to the UN Charter on Human Rights) by virtue of being human. Among those are the right to life.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-06-2014, 10:10 PM
(27-06-2014 09:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Privileges are "granted" by something or someone.
Humans have fundamental rights, (according to the UN Charter on Human Rights) by virtue of being human. Among those are the right to life.

I feel privileged that the universe "granted" me the right to live. Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Rights only exist when enforced. You may have the "right" to cross the intersection with a green light, but unless enforced, you might wind up only dead right.

We are born with no rights. Certainly none bestowed by an indifferent universe. Rights get conferred by culture, and culture enforces the ones it deems important. Every culture has a laundry list of rights it enforces. Comparing lists between cultures will show some commonality, but rarely do lists coincide.

Until the world is unified as a nation of mankind, what rights you have depend your GPS coordinates. Rights aren't transferable across borders. They might seem so, when portions of the laundry lists do happen to match, but those are only happy coincidences, not a realization of some "intrinsic" set of rights.

Many if not all laundry lists of rights post more rights than are enforced. The laundry lists reflect desire, not pragmatics. Jails and graveyards are kept full by not understanding that distinction. The list may state you have a right, but without enforcement, it doesn't exist.

So look both ways before crossing on green.
27-06-2014, 11:04 PM
(27-06-2014 10:59 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Jails and graveyards are kept full by not understanding that distinction. The list may state you have a right, but without enforcement, it doesn't exist.

Do graveyards spontaneously empty themselves unless someone keeps them full ?
Just asking. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-06-2014, 11:19 PM
(27-06-2014 11:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-06-2014 10:59 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Jails and graveyards are kept full by not understanding that distinction. The list may state you have a right, but without enforcement, it doesn't exist.

Do graveyards spontaneously empty themselves unless someone keeps them full ?
Just asking. Angel

Well....

Quote:Matt. 27:51-53: At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

.... yes, it would appear that way. Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post