Is Life a Right? Or Is It a Privilege?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 11:18 PM
RE: Is Life a Right? Or Is It a Privilege?
(17-07-2014 10:57 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Without qualifying this type of right it's hard to state fairly, that's why the legal essence has held so much weight in this thread.

I think it's qualified in the essence of what life is from the get go, and always has been. I don't think that there has ever been a question in the mind (or drive, for lack of a better term) of any living thing, ever, of whether or not they should be able to defend their "right" to live. This concept has been translated into our modern laws, and even further, upon the introspection and empathetic nature of ourselves, been extended even to beasts other than humans which are less equipped to defend themselves.

I think that we innately recognize the primacy of self preservation and, being thinkers, also recognize that all living things experience the same notion at some level and deserve the right to have that and should be afforded the right to defend it with whatever ability one has to do so.

In short, I think any living thing has the right to keep living by any means necessary, as long as those means are indeed necessary. That's just nature.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2014, 03:10 AM
(17-07-2014 10:39 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Alright, folks, I'm aware that life is merely a state of being. A living thing is a thing that is actively engaging in what we call life. I figured my meaning would be obvious from the beginning, but fuck me if there aren't a shit-ton of knit-pickers around here. Dodgy

What the dude is saying (and what I'm arguing against) is that living isn't something I have a right to do now that I'm alive. I'm here. I'm alive. He argues that this is not my right to do so; that it is merely a privilege. (One which he, expressly, would enjoy taking away if capital punishment were ever sentenced to me)

In the grand scheme of things, I am alive because I won the genetic lottery and got to be here. In this sense, it can be argued that I am "privileged" to be alive. But now that I'm alive, I believe it is my right to continue doing so. Whether you or he or anyone else thinks - for whatever reason and under whatever circumstances - that I may need to cease living.

So, my life - my continued state of living - is my right. Or so says my opinion.

I am a self-admitted knit-picker, but I will stop for just a moment, and confine my response to human life only.

Humans have a right to life, as long as it is not at the expense of another human being.

OK, can I go back to picking my knits now? Smile

"You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's turtles all the way down!"
18-07-2014, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2014 06:03 AM by Chas.)
(18-07-2014 03:10 AM)Hoops Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 10:39 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Alright, folks, I'm aware that life is merely a state of being. A living thing is a thing that is actively engaging in what we call life. I figured my meaning would be obvious from the beginning, but fuck me if there aren't a shit-ton of knit-pickers around here. Dodgy

What the dude is saying (and what I'm arguing against) is that living isn't something I have a right to do now that I'm alive. I'm here. I'm alive. He argues that this is not my right to do so; that it is merely a privilege. (One which he, expressly, would enjoy taking away if capital punishment were ever sentenced to me)

In the grand scheme of things, I am alive because I won the genetic lottery and got to be here. In this sense, it can be argued that I am "privileged" to be alive. But now that I'm alive, I believe it is my right to continue doing so. Whether you or he or anyone else thinks - for whatever reason and under whatever circumstances - that I may need to cease living.

So, my life - my continued state of living - is my right. Or so says my opinion.

I am a self-admitted knit-picker, but I will stop for just a moment, and confine my response to human life only.

Humans have a right to life, as long as it is not at the expense of another human being.

nitpicker, nits.

Refers to picking the tiny eggs of lice (nits) off someone head. Defined as excessive attention to detail - especially tiny detial detail.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-07-2014, 05:52 AM
(18-07-2014 05:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  Refers to picking the tiny eggs of lice (nits) off someone head. Defined as excessive attention to detail - especially tiny detial.

*detail

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
18-07-2014, 02:33 PM
(18-07-2014 05:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-07-2014 03:10 AM)Hoops Wrote:  I am a self-admitted knit-picker, but I will stop for just a moment, and confine my response to human life only.

nitpicker, nits.

Refers to picking the tiny eggs of lice (nits) off someone head. Defined as excessive attention to detail - especially tiny detial detail.

Thanks for the clarification. Now that I have all my knits picked, I hardly have any time for the nits. Undecided

"You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's turtles all the way down!"
[+] 2 users Like Hoops's post
21-07-2014, 12:01 PM
You have a right to life as long as you are alive. Once you take your dirt nap you will have been privileged to be alive.
21-07-2014, 05:11 PM
This question is completely subjective. There are no such things as "rights" except in the confines of a society/community.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
21-07-2014, 05:16 PM
(21-07-2014 05:11 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  This question is completely subjective. There are no such things as "rights" except in the confines of a society/community.

Adrian!!!!! ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

Carry on...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
21-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Ha! Hello Anje. Thumbsup

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
21-07-2014, 08:40 PM
You have the right to have all of the possible random configurations add up to make you exist in this world.

Of course you have the right to exist. However, to take that right away from someone or to cause a permanent negativity on someone else's existence kind of forfeits your right to exist.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ